• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    AK-47: It works though you only clean it once every couple years.
    AR-15: You have a special cleaner and use every time you fire it
    Mosin: It was last cleaned at the end of WWII
    .............................................................................

That was awesome!! :roflsmile:
    Guns International

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    Corrosive ammo isn't sulphuric acid - it won't harm the barrel by waiting for the 20 minute drive home.

Just by the by, while I appreciate your concern, I've shot Russian/Soviet ammo for decades - I just happen to be new to Mosin rifles ;)

It is salts I know. I have seen friends wait about 4 hours to clean after corrosive ammo and it take them about two hours to get the rust out
    that had built up in the non-chrome lines barrel. But hey to each their own right.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    But hey to each their own right.
    Dude... I've been polite, but because I dislike passive-aggression so much, now I'll be blunt.

1. I told you that I only waited 20 minutes to clean my rifle - not that I had to explain myself to you in any way, but I did out of politeness.
    2. I've shot this ammo a lot, including through PKMs in Iraq while a member of a PSD team - I'm very familiar with this stuff, so go badger someone else about how corrosive it is - k?

Good grief.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    ha ha

I shoot my mosin all the time with corrosive ammo and then on the way home, I pour apple juice and battery acid down the barrel.
    When I get home , I plug both ends of the bore with a leather plug and leave it set a few months and then I run a patch through it and its like a mirror finish in there.
    those things are amazing.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    if they rust up in 2 hours how the heck did any of them make it through the siege of Stalingrad, or the whole war for that matter?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    if they rust up in 2 hours how the heck did any of them make it through the siege of Stalingrad, or the whole war for that matter?

Good point.

I do not clean right away either. I've even cleaned the next day and had no noticeable damage.
    Perhaps some ammo is more corrosive then others?? Could that be?

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I doubt it. Bear in mind that all small-arms ammo prior to the 1950s would be considered corrosive these days - the corrosive element being the mercuric salts in the priming compound, which attracted moisture and, if left untreated, would eventually rust. So all those guys in WW1 and WW2... didn't see them panicking; they just cleaned their weapons when they had some downtime.

Regular water can dissolve and remove these salts, after which regular cleaning/oiling is done.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    i've went nearly a week before cleaning while on vacation. We were at a cabin on some land, after shooting, we went to eat. I thought we were going to go back to the cabin....nope....went back to the hotel, then a new city to a new hotel. Week later, back to the cabin....nothing wrong with any of the mosins. (I had mine, uncle had his, each of my 2 cousins had theirs)

Blackwatch

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Houston
    I ventured into the Mosin experience just before Xmas...wanted something to play with over the holiday - it's been awesome!! Mine had a lot of fouling in the bore but still yielded tight groups - first time I've used a hammer and punch to shift POI but these things are rugged !!!
    A quick blast of gun scrubber then CLP when I get it home helps flush out any residue from the MilSurp ammo until I can run some patches through it.

zx9rt1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    If you have never been to this site www.7.62x54r.net you are missing a lot of good info on Mosins.

It is a good site full of fantastic information. One word of caution though. DO NOT SPEAK OF DOING ANY MODS AT ALL TO A MOSIN! Ted will swing the ban hammer in a heart beat! It's a purist site for the Mosin.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    So I'd get murdered in my sleep if I mentioned the Archangel stock? :D

archangel-mosin-3.jpg

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    It is a good site full of fantastic information. One word of caution though. DO NOT SPEAK OF DOING ANY MODS AT ALL TO A MOSIN! Ted will swing the ban hammer in a heart beat! It's a purist site for the Mosin.

I don't think it's still open for new member registration.

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Very nice!

Mark the screws at their current locations. That rifle is shooting tightly and you'll want to remember the torque of the front and back screws.

You can back off the rear screw a bit to put more upward pressure on the barrel to tighten the groups even a bit more, but if they open up you'll want to know where to go back to.

Regards,

Josh

Top Bottom