Join TexasGunTalk

Joined the Mosin club...

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Andy, Jan 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Southpaw

Southpaw The High Holy Mufchetet TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    That was awesome!! :roflsmile:

2. navysooner

navysooner Active Member

Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    It is salts I know. I have seen friends wait about 4 hours to clean after corrosive ammo and it take them about two hours to get the rust out
    that had built up in the non-chrome lines barrel. But hey to each their own right.

3. Andy

Andy Active Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Dude... I've been polite, but because I dislike passive-aggression so much, now I'll be blunt.

1. I told you that I only waited 20 minutes to clean my rifle - not that I had to explain myself to you in any way, but I did out of politeness.
    2. I've shot this ammo a lot, including through PKMs in Iraq while a member of a PSD team - I'm very familiar with this stuff, so go badger someone else about how corrosive it is - k?

Good grief.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  4. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    ha ha

I shoot my mosin all the time with corrosive ammo and then on the way home, I pour apple juice and battery acid down the barrel.
    When I get home , I plug both ends of the bore with a leather plug and leave it set a few months and then I run a patch through it and its like a mirror finish in there.
    those things are amazing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. Brains

Brains IQ: 47

Apr 9, 2013
    Cypress
    I need a Mosin to shoot and not immediately speed home to clean. Anyone selling?

6. AKMike

AKMike TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2011
    Texas
    Could pee in the barrel....lol

sent from the bathroom

7. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    if they rust up in 2 hours how the heck did any of them make it through the siege of Stalingrad, or the whole war for that matter?

8. Andy

Andy Active Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I'm buggered if I'm going to be hitting the range with a bottle of Windex.

9. Southpaw

Southpaw The High Holy Mufchetet TGT Supporter

Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Good point.

I do not clean right away either. I've even cleaned the next day and had no noticeable damage.
    Perhaps some ammo is more corrosive then others?? Could that be?

10. Andy

Andy Active Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I doubt it. Bear in mind that all small-arms ammo prior to the 1950s would be considered corrosive these days - the corrosive element being the mercuric salts in the priming compound, which attracted moisture and, if left untreated, would eventually rust. So all those guys in WW1 and WW2... didn't see them panicking; they just cleaned their weapons when they had some downtime.

Regular water can dissolve and remove these salts, after which regular cleaning/oiling is done.