• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I'm assigned to a QRT (Quick Reaction Team) which provides security and we receive some of the very best training.
    This sounds interesting, however I can't find hardly anything about the TXSG's QRT on the web. Can you go into more detail about how you became a member of a QRT and what your duties are?
    ARJ Defense ad

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am in the State Guard as well, and it is true that it is unarmed.

The QRT can carry a side army only under the direction of the governor.

Farmboy Marine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Bryan, TX
    TSG I'm ok with. Random "militias" created in some dude's basement... not so much. I've always been wary about organizations that are unsanctioned, simply because these are the groups that the government is most likely to label as dangerous. Say one of these private armies does something that the government deems hazardous to national welfare or somewhat terroristic. If things were to get out of hand, I really don't want to be at war with the U.S. with my name on a blacklist and FBI trying to hunt me down.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I am in the State Guard as well, and it is true that it is unarmed.

The QRT can carry a side army only under the direction of the governor.
    Please dont take offense as it is not intended, but I am just curious about the TSG. How can an organization be labeled as a "guard" unit and not be allowed to be armed?
    I did some research on the TSG a little while back and thought it was a really great idea...a military unit that answers to the Governor. As an organization that follows military procedure, I just dont see why they dont go all the way and be an force that arms themselves as well.

Any info would be much appreciated.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Do you have any reliable info on this story? 5 people a day are asking me about it. I have been told it is all BS.
    Turns out the original article was a unsourced and anonymous blogger.

http://www.examiner.com/x-10317-San-Diego-County-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2010m7d24-Los-Zetas-drug-cartel-takes-control-2-US-ranches-in-Texas <- The false article.

The Laredo Morning Times reported that law enforcement officials had been "bombarded" with calls about the rumor but that "officials with the Laredo Police Department, Webb County Sheriff's Department and Border Patrol said they knew nothing about such an incident, while Erik Vasys, an FBI spokesman in San Antonio, said the agency does not comment on rumors."

Laredo Morning Times - LMTonline.com - > Front > News

That said .. the denials are kinda strange...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Turns out the original article was a unsourced and anonymous blogger.

http://www.examiner.com/x-10317-San-Diego-County-Political-Buzz-Examiner~y2010m7d24-Los-Zetas-drug-cartel-takes-control-2-US-ranches-in-Texas <- The false article.

The Laredo Morning Times reported that law enforcement officials had been "bombarded" with calls about the rumor but that "officials with the Laredo Police Department, Webb County Sheriff's Department and Border Patrol said they knew nothing about such an incident, while Erik Vasys, an FBI spokesman in San Antonio, said the agency does not comment on rumors."

Laredo Morning Times - LMTonline.com - > Front > News

That said .. the denials are kinda strange...

Given these circumstances, I think the story is BS

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    TSG I'm ok with. Random "militias" created in some dude's basement... not so much. I've always been wary about organizations that are unsanctioned, simply because these are the groups that the government is most likely to label as dangerous. Say one of these private armies does something that the government deems hazardous to national welfare or somewhat terroristic. If things were to get out of hand, I really don't want to be at war with the U.S. with my name on a blacklist and FBI trying to hunt me down.

You are a gun owning Vet (1st MAR DIV). Too late, you are already on a list. Janet Napalitano seems to think people like us are a danger to the country.

Craig

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I apologize in advance to anyone or any groups out there that may not fit this description and that may have their stuff together, but this has been my limited experience through some of the people I've known. Quite honestly, from everything I've seen, I would say a vast majority of independent militias are a joke. People meeting up once a month to run around the woods in camo, whine about the government, and overall do absolutely nothing. Typically many of the things many of them seem to practice are old school methods for things that are archaic and outdated, much of the time with no actual relevance to real life or modern surroundings (what good is running around in the woods for many people that live almost entirely in or near major urban centers?). Don't get me wrong, I understand the concept of a militia and have nothing against them. If I happened to find one that was actually well regulated, professional, comprised of sane and intelligent individuals, that practiced modern and relevant methods, etc I might actually join one. After all, it would be nice to have a group of regular individuals to actually be able to count on for things like firearms training, developing teamwork skills, etc. In that sense, it would be like the typical "regional training group" type groups it is common to see on gun forums. The fact of the matter is, I have yet to actually see an independent militia group that actually adds up like that. In actuality, people's energy would probably be better spent joining a fire department, joining an LE department, becoming an EMT, etc. Those things are more closely inline with the definition of a militia, and at least they accomplish something.

AcidFlashGordon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In actuality, people's energy would probably be better spent joining a fire department, joining an LE department, becoming an EMT, etc. Those things are more closely inline with the definition of a militia, and at least they accomplish something.

That is something I could get behind. Now, if I were only a "few" years younger it would work for me. But, I can volunteer for community service (because they seem to like us old farts) and support the city I live in. Once I retire and build my castle in Texas, I'll continue to support whatever community I end up living in. I'm sure the 10 or so acres I want to buy will come in handy for all sorts of activities, especially if I can get whatever permits, licenses or certificates to build my dream range. Something on my own property where I can go whenever I want AND have training classes for anyone who wants to know about guns and wants to be safe in that ownership. That'll be about 10 years down the road (retirement in 7 and then 3 to get all the paperwork, money and own old ass into gear) so if any of you are still around, I'm putting out a standing invitation to come on over and run a few rounds downrange. Then afterwards, a barbeque with anything you want to toss on the coals with whatever libations you feel are appropriate (if any booze is involved, all firearms will be unloaded and put away).

You could say that would be my "support" of a local militia. Someplace where people can go to shoot, learn about guns and shooting and interact with others in the community.

ColdDeadHands

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    That is something I could get behind. Now, if I were only a "few" years younger it would work for me. But, I can volunteer for community service (because they seem to like us old farts) and support the city I live in. Once I retire and build my castle in Texas, I'll continue to support whatever community I end up living in. I'm sure the 10 or so acres I want to buy will come in handy for all sorts of activities, especially if I can get whatever permits, licenses or certificates to build my dream range. Something on my own property where I can go whenever I want AND have training classes for anyone who wants to know about guns and wants to be safe in that ownership. That'll be about 10 years down the road (retirement in 7 and then 3 to get all the paperwork, money and own old ass into gear) so if any of you are still around, I'm putting out a standing invitation to come on over and run a few rounds downrange. Then afterwards, a barbeque with anything you want to toss on the coals with whatever libations you feel are appropriate (if any booze is involved, all firearms will be unloaded and put away).

You could say that would be my "support" of a local militia. Someplace where people can go to shoot, learn about guns and shooting and interact with others in the community.

No licenses necessary for that...just make sure the property doesn't have any kind of restrictions.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I did some research on the TSG a little while back and thought it was a really great idea...a military unit that answers to the Governor. As an organization that follows military procedure, I just dont see why they dont go all the way and be an force that arms themselves as well.

Any info would be much appreciated.

State militias (Guard units) are nothing new, but I have to admit I was unaware of the TSG (whereas I knew about the TX Army and Air Guard). It does have an interesting history (at least according to Wikipedia) and mission ("assist and augment Texas military and civil authorities in times of state emergencies, and on-going support of National Guard units and local communities"); but the TSG web site doesn't provide much information. For example, I am a retired USAF officer; would I be eligible to join a TSG Air Wing without affecting my retirement benefits or commission status? Since it appears to be aligned as an Army organization (even the Air Wings), does that mean it copies the US Army structure (rank, regs, etc)? What is the difference between a duty day (for which all members, regardless of rank, are paid $123) and other service that is uncompensated?

Cheers! M2

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Majormadmax,

I do not believe that joining the State Guard (not National Guard) will affect your retirement status. The Texas State Guard is not a federal entity, it is directed only by the Governor of Texas. Many of my upper NCO's are retired Army. I would check with the TSG recuriters, but I think you would be eligible to join.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Majormadmax,

I do not believe that joining the State Guard (not National Guard) will affect your retirement status. The Texas State Guard is not a federal entity, it is directed only by the Governor of Texas. Many of my upper NCO's are retired Army. I would check with the TSG recuriters, but I think you would be eligible to join.

Thanks, I did send a note to the recruiters with my info...I'll let everyone know what kind of response I get.

Cheers! M2

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    This thread has win written all over it.

Cody had me rolling with his comment about vietboy1st or whatever his name was.

Well good luck with that, guys. I'm don't think I can legally join a militia of any kind. ;)

Top Bottom