• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Ummm....wasn't she against the war? It just goes to show what can happen when you actually SEE and understand what's going on there instead of listening to that drivel CNN spews.

Angelina Jolie Says Troop Surge Creating Opportunity to Help Iraqi Refugees

Thursday, February 28, 2008

BAGHDAD — Actress and humanitarian activist Angelina Jolie said Thursday that the reinforcement of U.S. troops in Iraq has created an opportunity for humanitarian programs to boost assistance for Iraqi refugees.

In an op-ed piece published by the Washington Post, titled "A Reason to Stay in Iraq," Jolie details the plight of refugees and says their conditions have not improved since she visited the country last August to urge governments to provide more support.

Jolie, who has been a U.N. goodwill ambassador since 2001, was in Baghdad earlier this month to again highlight the refugee problem. She talked with Gen. David Petraeus, the American military commander in Iraq, and Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, the U.S. Embassy said.

Petraeus "told me he would support new efforts to address the humanitarian crisis" as much as possible, "which leaves me hopeful that more progress can be made," the actress wrote.

She said she stressed to Iraqi officials there must be a coherent plan for helping some 2 million Iraqis who are taking advantage of the downturn in violence to begin trickling back to abandoned homes from havens elsewhere in the country. A similar number fled Iraq to escape the bloodshed.

"It will be quite a while before Iraq is ready to absorb more than 4 million refugees and displaced people," Jolie wrote. "But it is not too early to start working on solutions."

The actress, who works on behalf of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, urged America's presidential candidates and congressional leaders to step up financing for aid to displaced Iraqis. UNHCR has asked for $261 million this year — "less than the U.S. spends each day to fight the war in Iraq," she wrote.

Addressing the question of whether the "troop surge" has worked, Jolie said that "I can only state what I witnessed."

"When I asked the troops if they wanted to go home as soon as possible, they said that they miss home but feel invested in Iraq," she wrote. "They have lost many friends and want to be a part of the humanitarian progress they now feel is possible."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/27/AR2008022702217_pf.html
    Texas SOT

chevydeerhunter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Wow, I'm actually surprised by that.

I am too, but if you think about it, she's right. Many people don't know that the military is there to also help rebuild. Many who are against us being there think we're there just to break things and kill people. They either don't know or don't want to know the humanitarian efforts being accomplished by our fighting men and women. Maybe now naysayers will realize that good is being done in Iraq.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I am too, but if you think about it, she's right. Many people don't know that the military is there to also help rebuild. Many who are against us being there think we're there just to break things and kill people. They either don't know or don't want to know the humanitarian efforts being accomplished by our fighting men and women. Maybe now naysayers will realize that good is being done in Iraq.

Nah, the majority of the nay-sayers have already given up the thought of changing their minds. We've had alot of positive results from Iraq lately and even the tone of the media has changed somewhat. At this point people are against it for the sake of being against it.

I believe strongly that we need to fix the problems in the country to the best of our ability, get the Iraqi's motivated to do it themselves, and then, and only then, pull out. I don't want our troops getting blown up or shot any more than the next guy, but lets not create the future terrorist threat by pulling the rug out from underneath the country.

The Democrats want to turn Iraq into another Vietnam. They want to pull out our troops only to have the country fall in on itself. The North Vietnamese were not kind to the South Vietnamese when we pulled out. I'm sure there are plenty of bitter people in South Vietnam that dislike us as a result. That's just sowing the field with poisoned seeds.

Not only that, but they want to stamp "Failure" on the entire operation like they did with Vietnam. So many people believe we "lost" Vietnam. Our troops won Vietnam, but our politicians are the ones that lost. I don't want to see another generation "shamed" by their service in the eyes of citizens.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Amen gents. Allen, you also have to remember, the only reason the Dems are against us being in Iraq is because The Republicans want to be there.

They also don't seem to realize that the citizens of our nation are just about as tired of the bickering about it as they can get. The media is not helping in the least.

We also wouldn't be in the situation we are in if the current administration didn't have a dismal IO campaign.

Things are vastly different in country than when I was there. Heck, the Devil Dogs in the AO I was in haven't had ANY conact with the enemy. No IED's, nothing.

Top Bottom