• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tacticoolspartan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Hello,

I just got off the phone with Joe Rankin and paid my deposit on a new Wilson Combat RDP in 9mm. Mr. Joe has been very nice to deal with and very patient with my many questions. For those who do not know, the RDP is a dealer exclusive from Wilson and can only be purchased (new) from Joe. It is a "package" based on the Professional series. This type of gun that would cost a lot more if priced out with all of its features. In fact, someone correct me if I am wrong, but Wilson does not offer bobtail frame in it's standard line.

Please check him out. He looks like he has a few Supergrades that can be optioned the way you like.
    http://www.rankinarms.com/index.php

There doesn't seem to be very much info on the interweb on this particular pistol in 9mm so I am hoping it is truly something special. I will update this post in maybe a month or two with a full review. What's funny is I set out looking to buy a Sig Sauer P226 Legion but my preferred FFL coudln't get one in stock from their distributor. Then, I went on gunbroker and saw a Wilson Combat 92G but I would have to send it back to Wilson for the action tune due to excise taxes. I then saw a Dan Wesson Eco 9mm but it was only 500 shy of a used Wilson Combat CQB 9mm I saw on gunbroker. I lost the auction and went to talk to Joe. My wallet hates me.

Thanks,
    Tacticoolspartan
    Texas SOT

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I've been glancing at these since they came out. I'm thinking about adding it as a "bonus goal" on my list of things to shoot for (no pun intended) with my new business. Maybe print a picture and post it up to look at now and then to keep me going. Lots of nice touches ont hat one!

TS - There are pics at Wilson Combat's blog. Have a towel ready for the drool...

tacticoolspartan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Tejano, I love the bluing but unfortunately this has to be my one-gun-does-it-all. I will be shooting this at a local USPSA and 3-gun competition in addition to being a range and carry gun. I went with armor-tuff black because it says tuff so it must be tough.

Mreed911 if you don't mind me asking, what kind of business do you own? I'm an engineer...

The new RDPs now all come with a flush cut reverse crown barrel and a flat wire recoil spring btw

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Nothing wrong with the Armor Tuff finish. If that was my only Wilson and I planned to hard use it like you, I agree with that logic. In fact, on my only Wilson I went with the Armor Tuff finish as well on my CQBE.

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    I too would like to see a pic. of your RDP. Here's my recently acquired CQB Compact magwell 9mm:

P1010780_zpsti7inliq.jpg

and an attempt to restrain me from buying another anytime soon!

tacticoolspartan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    CZPistol: Yes! When you order a 92G from Wilson Combat there are only 2 options: Action tune and Magazine Bar (idk what this is btw). The action tune includes polishing of internals and a unique trigger bar. This trigger bar eliminates overtravel of the trigger and apparently can not be installed directly by wilson before you take ownership of the pistol as I understand. Due to ATF regulations, you must send it into wilson for them to do this service. Now, I see on gunbroker that some of the 92Gs have the action tune option installed....minus the trigger bar. So I would still have to send it in and get it done professionally. Honestly in the end, I would have sunk close to $1500 (total) for a service that I honestly think should come standard in the WC version anyways. At that price I might as well have just bought the Dan Wesson Eco since it is good to go out the box. But then, you only live once...

By the way, I know this isn't a for sale thread but anyone interested an a very early Daniel Defense AR (collectable?) and lives in Houston please PM me. We can discuss it there.

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    This trigger bar eliminates overtravel of the trigger and apparently can not be installed directly by wilson before you take ownership of the pistol as I understand. Due to ATF regulations, you must send it into wilson for them to do this service.

I am far from being an expert on ATF regulations, but this makes no sense to me. I have a Wilson Brigadier on order directly from Wilson, and will have to look into what you're saying further. Thanks.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I am far from being an expert on ATF regulations, but this makes no sense to me. I have a Wilson Brigadier on order directly from Wilson, and will have to look into what you're saying further. Thanks.

They can install it on your gun but they can't install it on a gun you haven't taken ownership of yet (4473) because then they'd be manufacturing it (and paying the excise tax) vs. modifying it afterwards.

tacticoolspartan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2015
    Quick update: tracking shows the pistol is in Jackson, Mississippi. I've been busy buying accessories.

I took a chance and bought a kydex holster from 2nd amendment gun works. Will review this when it comes in:
    http://www.2ndamendmentgunworks.com/mobile/default.aspx

Wilson combat actually has a holster that looks just like the one I bought on sale right now but it just didn't have adjustable retention screw.

The Wilson will come with 2 10 round magazines but since I have a bobtail and no magwell, the tube till stick out. I have been looking for a flush fitting 9 round magazine and have been looking at either checkmate or Metalform. I went with Metalform designed for Springfield since I have heard good things. One day I will send a Wilson combat magazine to Log Man for him to cut the tube shorter and weld a flat base plate.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Top Bottom