Just bought my first handgun.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by archernewberry, Dec 26, 2008.

1. archernewberry

archernewberry New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Grand Prairie
    I just bought a Browning Buck Mark Camper URX from Academy in Arlington. It was $299 and I had a $60 gift card from the in-laws, so I think I got a pretty decent deal. I was torn between the Buck Mark and the MKIII, but once I held both of them, the Buck Mark just felt better. I've attached a pic of it here.

I'm very new to shooting and everything I've read says that a .22LR is the best gun to learn how to shoot with. Do I need to clean or lube the gun at all before firing it for the first time? Also, if any of you know of a good gun safety and/or target shooting class in or around the Arlington/GP area, let me know. Like I said, I'm a total beginner wanting to learn how to shoot accurately, the ins and outs of my gun and how to responsibly use it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Slotback

Slotback Member

Mar 10, 2008
    It would not hurt for you to learn how to field strip your purchase and clean it. Then head out some place to (safely!) plink. If you know an experienced shooter, have them come along. Get a brick of .22 and enjoy! Those Browning .22's are fun to shoot and a good way to get the basics down. You will not regret your purchase.

3. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Congratulations on your first handgun and the responsible way that you are approaching gun ownership.

I bought a BuckMark as my learning gun about 15 years ago. I still have it and still enjoy shooting it. It has been very reliable and trouble free. I suggest that you clean it after each shooting seesion. I have used Hoppes No. 9 for the bore, extractor, and breech areas. Rem Action Cleaner works well for the action. Hoppes High viscosity Oil on the slide contact surfaces and wear/pivot points in the action worked well for me. Use very small amounts of oil in the action and blow out excess oil with canned or compressed air. (If you ask, you will get a lot of opinions on the correct way to clean and products to use.)

I am in Houston, so I cannot help with local training resources. I learned a lot from reading and internet resources. guntaktv.com has some good beginner info. And I am sure that you can find more with some targeted Google searches.

Welcome and good luck

4. pawncop

pawncop Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Congratulations on your entry into the wonderful world of shooting sports.

For any new (or used) gun i will perfom a cursury cleaning and inspection prior to initial shooting. Make sure the bore is clear and it seems to function normally.

Post shooting I like to clean within a day or two.

In the DFW area there are a couple of resouces you might consider. Check with any of the public ranges and see if they are offering any introductory style classes you could attend.

Best of luck.

5. MrsFosforos

MrsFosforos New Member

Apr 8, 2008
    My husband has a 22/45. I've never seen how to take down an Buckmark, but I've watched him fieldstrip the MKIII and it's a royal PIA! From what I've ready about it, Browning isn't as difficult to field strip --> so just based on THAT comparison - you made a lucky choice going with the Buckmark.

I don't know if it's just the ammo we use (Federal & Remington) - but it tends to get really dirty after shooting and my husband says it's easier to clean if you don't let the grime set up too long.

The Bass Pro in Grapevine has gun courses. A member of our club teaches CHL courses there, and I think they offer other seminars and safety courses too.

I hope you enjoy yours! I've shot my husband's and it is a really fun plinker!!

6. jgedmond

jgedmond Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    To strip the BuckMark, you remove 2 Allen screws with the provided Allen key and remove the plate across the top of the slide. Partially compress and lift out the recoil rod assembly from the top of the slide. Then lift off the slide and buffer - you're done!

When reassmbling, just reverse the above. Be sure the cut corners of the little plastic part at the front of the recoil rod assembly that fits into the slot of the slide are facing upwards. Also, be sure that the buffer is in place properly. It's pretty obvious how it fits against the post and how the recoil rod assembly fits into the upper hole.

Enjoy!

7. txhog1

txhog1 New Member

Nov 13, 2008
    I looked on youtube for a video to link to on the field-strip of the Buckmark Camper, but to no avail. Seems like someone has posted one on just about every handgun out there, but haven't made it to the Camper yet. Maybe after you master it, you could post one yourself?

DFW Gun Range on Mockingbird Ln. in Dallas offers a 2-hour introductory handgun class that may be worth a look for you:
    Introduction to Firearms

I was actually going to take that class after purchasing my first handgun, but on my first trip to Alpine Range, I struck up a conversation with a retired PO who, unsolicited, spent an hour with me showing me the basics of care, safety, technique, and range etiquette. I don't know if I've ever experienced more brotherhood even with my MC buddies.

8. archernewberry

archernewberry New Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Grand Prairie
    Thanks for all the tips everyone!! I found a thread on rimfirecentral.com where a guy completely took apart a buckmark. I've not read it word for word, but judging from the pictures, it looks pretty informative.

Here's the link: Dissecting a Buck Mark - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I really want to go shoot tomorrow, just not sure if I'll have time or not. I look forward to reading and posting more on here, it looks like everyone's pretty cool and willing to help n00bs like me, which is pretty refreshing.

My younger brother and I went to Target Master in Garland last week and rented some .22 pistols. We told them that we were completely new to handguns, and they just rented the guns to us and told us to have fun. I got a Ruger MKII and my brother got a Walther P22 (I think). We had to fiddle with the guns for a minute to learn how they worked. Then the guns started jamming, so we had to go get the workers to unjam them for us. They were pretty nice about it. The one thing that annoyed me was that they charged us $12 for a box of 100 rounds because "These guns like this ammo best". Anyways, if I get around to field stripping my Buck Mark soon, I will do my best to document it step by step.

9. Skip

Skip TGT Addict

Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I had a Buckmark and loved shooting it, I really regret selling that gun. Enjoy yours, they are alot of fun.

10. jimmy-buffett

jimmy-buffett New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Here's a pic of a tricked out Buckmark, once you decide to take it to the limit :-)

[​IMG]