• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • archernewberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    Grand Prairie
    I just bought a Browning Buck Mark Camper URX from Academy in Arlington. It was $299 and I had a $60 gift card from the in-laws, so I think I got a pretty decent deal. I was torn between the Buck Mark and the MKIII, but once I held both of them, the Buck Mark just felt better. I've attached a pic of it here.

I'm very new to shooting and everything I've read says that a .22LR is the best gun to learn how to shoot with. Do I need to clean or lube the gun at all before firing it for the first time? Also, if any of you know of a good gun safety and/or target shooting class in or around the Arlington/GP area, let me know. Like I said, I'm a total beginner wanting to learn how to shoot accurately, the ins and outs of my gun and how to responsibly use it. Thanks!
    Military Camp

Attachments

• IMG_1604.JPG
      IMG_1604.JPG
      43.9 KB · Views: 246

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    It would not hurt for you to learn how to field strip your purchase and clean it. Then head out some place to (safely!) plink. If you know an experienced shooter, have them come along. Get a brick of .22 and enjoy! Those Browning .22's are fun to shoot and a good way to get the basics down. You will not regret your purchase.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Congratulations on your first handgun and the responsible way that you are approaching gun ownership.

I bought a BuckMark as my learning gun about 15 years ago. I still have it and still enjoy shooting it. It has been very reliable and trouble free. I suggest that you clean it after each shooting seesion. I have used Hoppes No. 9 for the bore, extractor, and breech areas. Rem Action Cleaner works well for the action. Hoppes High viscosity Oil on the slide contact surfaces and wear/pivot points in the action worked well for me. Use very small amounts of oil in the action and blow out excess oil with canned or compressed air. (If you ask, you will get a lot of opinions on the correct way to clean and products to use.)

I am in Houston, so I cannot help with local training resources. I learned a lot from reading and internet resources. guntaktv.com has some good beginner info. And I am sure that you can find more with some targeted Google searches.

Welcome and good luck

pawncop

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    TEXAS
    Congratulations on your entry into the wonderful world of shooting sports.

For any new (or used) gun i will perfom a cursury cleaning and inspection prior to initial shooting. Make sure the bore is clear and it seems to function normally.

Post shooting I like to clean within a day or two.

In the DFW area there are a couple of resouces you might consider. Check with any of the public ranges and see if they are offering any introductory style classes you could attend.

Best of luck.

MrsFosforos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    My husband has a 22/45. I've never seen how to take down an Buckmark, but I've watched him fieldstrip the MKIII and it's a royal PIA! From what I've ready about it, Browning isn't as difficult to field strip --> so just based on THAT comparison - you made a lucky choice going with the Buckmark.

I don't know if it's just the ammo we use (Federal & Remington) - but it tends to get really dirty after shooting and my husband says it's easier to clean if you don't let the grime set up too long.

The Bass Pro in Grapevine has gun courses. A member of our club teaches CHL courses there, and I think they offer other seminars and safety courses too.

I hope you enjoy yours! I've shot my husband's and it is a really fun plinker!!

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    To strip the BuckMark, you remove 2 Allen screws with the provided Allen key and remove the plate across the top of the slide. Partially compress and lift out the recoil rod assembly from the top of the slide. Then lift off the slide and buffer - you're done!

When reassmbling, just reverse the above. Be sure the cut corners of the little plastic part at the front of the recoil rod assembly that fits into the slot of the slide are facing upwards. Also, be sure that the buffer is in place properly. It's pretty obvious how it fits against the post and how the recoil rod assembly fits into the upper hole.

Enjoy!

byronw999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Grand Prairie, Texas USA!
    Congrats onthenew gun.. I was shooting at the club I belong to, Arlington Sportsman Club, yesterday (yea it was to niceout and I was playing hooky ) and asked a few folks about this.. Place called Burleson Handgun Academy is supposed to have a new folks class they offer.. You can probably google them or call information...

If you really get into shooting you might wanna check out the club I'm in... Its $75 per year for you and an extra $10 for a spouse.. The join up fee is around $300 I think now.. Here's a link to our website: The Arlington Sportsman's Club

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom