Just checking The Law

Wedge

Mar 2, 2009
I finished my CHL so of course like we all do ive been thinking about carrying. Ive read about people losing there CHL if the gun prints or can be seen and someone calls the police. I want to do everything in my power to keep the gun concealed but was wondering if anyone in Texas has ever heard of this or has it happened to u. Thanks for the help.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
I finished my CHL so of course like we all do ive been thinking about carrying. Ive read about people losing there CHL if the gun prints or can be seen and someone calls the police. I want to do everything in my power to keep the gun concealed but was wondering if anyone in Texas has ever heard of this or has it happened to u. Thanks for the help.

I am going to show you the law, but I am curious what your instructor told you.

Texas Penal Code
Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun

Sec. 6.03. DEFINITIONS OF CULPABLE MENTAL STATES. (a) A person acts intentionally, or with intent, with respect to the nature of his conduct or to a result of his conduct when it is his conscious objective or desire to engage in the conduct or cause the result.
An indavertant flash when the wind blows your cover garmet back, or an uninitentional print is not an issue.

And you can only "lose" (revoke) your CHL if you are convicted.

Wedge

Mar 2, 2009
He basically said the same thing u did. If its an accident dont worry but still dont want to go through having to got to court because a person figured that the print was a gun. I understand what u are saying but not all of us carry smaller weopans (not saying u do) so it will be harder for someone to hide a 45 then a .380. Was just curious. The laws helped thanks for the answer.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
He basically said the same thing u did. If its an accident dont worry but still dont want to go through having to got to court because a person figured that the print was a gun. I understand what u are saying but not all of us carry smaller weopans (not saying u do) so it will be harder for someone to hide a 45 then a .380. Was just curious.
If the .45 is a full size double stack maybe. A full size 1911 for example, isn't an issue. The right gear is key. I carry all the time including summer with t-shirts with no problem.

What I'm really curious about is "where" you've read people have lost their CHL for "printing" or someone calling the police. While some might think that's common, I've never once heard of any case like that.

Wedge

Mar 2, 2009
I was looking at reviews of the Galco Miami shoulder holster. It brought up a bunch of different talks and I ran across this 3 diff times in diff articles were it was being discussed. I can tell ya one was in Nevada not sure on the other 2. Of course im not getting the complete facts im sure as to what actually happened just what I read. Im glad that u have never heard of this in Texas or at all. The gun im using most of the time will be a XD45 with a 4 inch barrel.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
He basically said the same thing u did. If its an accident dont worry but still dont want to go through having to got to court because a person figured that the print was a gun. I understand what u are saying but not all of us carry smaller weopans (not saying u do) so it will be harder for someone to hide a 45 then a .380. Was just curious. The laws helped thanks for the answer.
I carry a full sized .45 every day.

JKTex

Well-Known
Mar 11, 2008
DFW, North Texas
I was looking at reviews of the Galco Miami shoulder holster. It brought up a bunch of different talks and I ran across this 3 diff times in diff articles were it was being discussed. I can tell ya one was in Nevada not sure on the other 2. Of course im not getting the complete facts im sure as to what actually happened just what I read. Im glad that u have never heard of this in Texas or at all. The gun im using most of the time will be a XD45 with a 4 inch barrel.
That explains it. Shoulder holsters have their place, and it's usually not with civilian concealed carry.

Wedge

Mar 2, 2009
JKtex what do u use to carry while only wearing a T-shirt? Not sure why civilians shouldnt use a shoulder holster. Its all I have ever used when shooting at the range. I for one hate how a belt holster feels but thats just me.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
You use a shoulder holster at the range? Remind me not to shoot next to you, or walk behind you when you're drawing or holstering...

You should be able to conceal almost anything with a decent IWB holster.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
You use a shoulder holster at the range? Remind me not to shoot next to you, or walk behind you when you're drawing or holstering...

You should be able to conceal almost anything with a decent IWB holster.
Yep, AND it is very easy for a bad guy to stove you up when trying to draw.

The only time I use a shoulder holster is when I am doing Armed plaincolthes bodyguard work AND I am driving.

I know some medical field people who wear a shoulder holster on their scrubs and a lab coat over it.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members