• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Over the last thirty years I attended a couple dozen shooting courses through my department or in-service training sessions using guest instructors where drawing, holstering, shooting and reloading were all required to pass. Not ONCE did we ever address a shoulder holster and how to properly use it. Matter of fact, I never heard of any agency that did.

That may be the reason I never owned or even wanted one.
    Texas SOT

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Over the last thirty years I attended a couple dozen shooting courses through my department or in-service training sessions using guest instructors where drawing, holstering, shooting and reloading were all required to pass. Not ONCE did we ever address a shoulder holster and how to properly use it. Matter of fact, I never heard of any agency that did.

That may be the reason I never owned or even wanted one.

Yep, and good reason you won't see shoulder holsters at those classes.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Okay, so I think it has been made clear that when Wedge says he has "trained" with a shoulder holster, he really means "practiced."

Now that that point is clear, I am wondering if the "ranges" you have been to where you have practiced drawing from a shoulder holster are public ranges where, as has been pointed out, you'd be covering people behind you and next to you with a loaded weapon. Or by "range" do you mean a private facility where such practice would not endanger others?

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    TXSut never said I trained pulling from a shoulder holster at the range. If I go shooting I allways wear a side arm (shoulder holster) for defense only. If im down range changing targets and somebody decideds to go nutty and start shooting I want some protection. Unless u are in law enforcement its going to be hard to find a class that is going to teach proper shoulder drawing, So what do we do if we want to become better at anything in life but are unable to get proper training? We can do nothing and except it or we can train/practice and ask questions to people who are profesionally trained. Ive never just heard something and excepted it if I was interested in it without doing some homework on the subject first. This is me on my bike after 3 years of training myself,asking questions,watching videos.Sorry if I was unclear on my posts.

stt8-30-08214.jpg

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Nice pic.....TXSUT & I are both "ex track riders".

Let me get this straight, when you are at the range & changing targets you are wearing a loaded handgun???

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Yes Sir. I livd in Illinois but we shot at outdoor range in Indiana and we were allowed to carry a sidearm. I have not shot there in over a year so not sure if the law has changed but we did it without a problem. When I lived in AZ it was the same but my friend was a police officer but I was never told to take it off. Im assuming in Texas then this is not allowed as u go down range unless u have a CHL?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yes Sir. I livd in Illinois but we shot at outdoor range in Indiana and we were allowed to carry a sidearm. I have not shot there in over a year so not sure if the law has changed but we did it without a problem. When I lived in AZ it was the same but my friend was a police officer but I was never told to take it off. Im assuming in Texas then this is not allowed as u go down range unless u have a CHL?

No loaded weapons anywhere when people are down range....no exceptions!!!

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks 4 the info. Makes perfect sense just wasnt what I was used too. When we went down all rifles had to unloaded of course open chamber. No firearm touching period when down range. Im new to this Texas area only been here about 3 weeks.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    If I go shooting I allways wear a side arm (shoulder holster) for defense only. If im down range changing targets and somebody decideds to go nutty and start shooting I want some protection.

Thanks 4 the info. Makes perfect sense just wasnt what I was used too. When we went down all rifles had to unloaded of course open chamber. No firearm touching period when down range. Im new to this Texas area only been here about 3 weeks.

Then why in the world would you need a loaded side arm...seems to me if everyone puts down their gun, with actions open when the range master orders a cease fire, that you wouldn't need one...if as you said, someone goes nutty while you're down range changing a target, are you just going to start shooting towards the stands at random til you figure out who's doing the shooting, because if they're going nutty and they're going after you, I doubt you'd have time to respond...please tell me what range you shoot at, so I can avoid it...

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    I carry IWB and it has never occured to me that I needed to remove my pistol to go down range, and unless someone at our range tells me otherwise, I shall continue to do so. Since it is concealed, I question that anyone will know the difference.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Chief WOW if thats how ya really feal then why carry a gun at anytime. Everyone knows its illegal to shoot someone so no one will do it anymore correct! Ill tell ya lets say u and me were at the range and we were both down range and someone started shooting. You my friend have just excepted your death I for one will do everything in my power to SURVIVE because thats the kind of man I am and I have a family to take care of. Not trying to piss ya off but never expected that for a fellow gun rights lover like we are. I truely hope u will never need a loaded gun to protect yourself but thats not the world we live in. Take care im going to let this post die for me. Long live the 2nd ammendment.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Chief WOW if thats how ya really feal then why carry a gun at anytime. Everyone knows its illegal to shoot someone so no one will do it anymore correct! Ill tell ya lets say u and me were at the range and we were both down range and someone started shooting. You my friend have just excepted your death I for one will do everything in my power to SURVIVE because thats the kind of man I am and I have a family to take care of. Not trying to piss ya off but never expected that for a fellow gun rights lover like we are. I truely hope u will never need a loaded gun to protect yourself but thats not the world we live in. Take care im going to let this post die for me. Long live the 2nd ammendment.
    I for one have firearms training, and would not like to be standing next to you pulling a target when it go's off. As far as the range goes, there is a huge safety concern carrying a "hot" weapon during a cease fire. I'm not going after you I'm just trying to explain were everyone is coming from. I don't know about were you shoot but were I shoot the RO's always carry a gun, there is your psycho protection is. Not wearing a hot weapon is for the safety of everyone. It has nothing to do with the 2nd amendment it has to do with SAFETY!

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I carry IWB and it has never occured to me that I needed to remove my pistol to go down range, and unless someone at our range tells me otherwise, I shall continue to do so. Since it is concealed, I question that anyone will know the difference.
    That is a little different but not much.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I often carry with an owb and often carry a full sized 1911. I usually wear a Hawaiian style shirt over it. Sometimes I just use a t-shirt but I get the tall size or an oversized. The key to belt carry is the belt then the holster.

Without a good belt, it is a pain. I am currently using a rafter S belt. After about 5 minutes I don't feel the gun weight at all, even after 10 hours of walking around.

Top Bottom