• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I finished my CHL so of course like we all do ive been thinking about carrying. Ive read about people losing there CHL if the gun prints or can be seen and someone calls the police. I want to do everything in my power to keep the gun concealed but was wondering if anyone in Texas has ever heard of this or has it happened to u. Thanks for the help.
    Military Camp

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I finished my CHL so of course like we all do ive been thinking about carrying. Ive read about people losing there CHL if the gun prints or can be seen and someone calls the police. I want to do everything in my power to keep the gun concealed but was wondering if anyone in Texas has ever heard of this or has it happened to u. Thanks for the help.

I am going to show you the law, but I am curious what your instructor told you.

Texas Penal Code
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally fails to conceal the handgun

Sec. 6.03. DEFINITIONS OF CULPABLE MENTAL STATES. (a) A person acts intentionally, or with intent, with respect to the nature of his conduct or to a result of his conduct when it is his conscious objective or desire to engage in the conduct or cause the result.

An indavertant flash when the wind blows your cover garmet back, or an uninitentional print is not an issue.

And you can only "lose" (revoke) your CHL if you are convicted.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    He basically said the same thing u did. If its an accident dont worry but still dont want to go through having to got to court because a person figured that the print was a gun. I understand what u are saying but not all of us carry smaller weopans (not saying u do) so it will be harder for someone to hide a 45 then a .380. Was just curious. The laws helped thanks for the answer.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    He basically said the same thing u did. If its an accident dont worry but still dont want to go through having to got to court because a person figured that the print was a gun. I understand what u are saying but not all of us carry smaller weopans (not saying u do) so it will be harder for someone to hide a 45 then a .380. Was just curious.

If the .45 is a full size double stack maybe. A full size 1911 for example, isn't an issue. The right gear is key. I carry all the time including summer with t-shirts with no problem.

What I'm really curious about is "where" you've read people have lost their CHL for "printing" or someone calling the police. While some might think that's common, I've never once heard of any case like that.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I was looking at reviews of the Galco Miami shoulder holster. It brought up a bunch of different talks and I ran across this 3 diff times in diff articles were it was being discussed. I can tell ya one was in Nevada not sure on the other 2. Of course im not getting the complete facts im sure as to what actually happened just what I read. Im glad that u have never heard of this in Texas or at all. The gun im using most of the time will be a XD45 with a 4 inch barrel.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    He basically said the same thing u did. If its an accident dont worry but still dont want to go through having to got to court because a person figured that the print was a gun. I understand what u are saying but not all of us carry smaller weopans (not saying u do) so it will be harder for someone to hide a 45 then a .380. Was just curious. The laws helped thanks for the answer.

I carry a full sized .45 every day.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I was looking at reviews of the Galco Miami shoulder holster. It brought up a bunch of different talks and I ran across this 3 diff times in diff articles were it was being discussed. I can tell ya one was in Nevada not sure on the other 2. Of course im not getting the complete facts im sure as to what actually happened just what I read. Im glad that u have never heard of this in Texas or at all. The gun im using most of the time will be a XD45 with a 4 inch barrel.

That explains it. Shoulder holsters have their place, and it's usually not with civilian concealed carry.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    JKtex what do u use to carry while only wearing a T-shirt? Not sure why civilians shouldnt use a shoulder holster. Its all I have ever used when shooting at the range. I for one hate how a belt holster feels but thats just me.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You use a shoulder holster at the range? Remind me not to shoot next to you, or walk behind you when you're drawing or holstering...

You should be able to conceal almost anything with a decent IWB holster.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You use a shoulder holster at the range? Remind me not to shoot next to you, or walk behind you when you're drawing or holstering...

You should be able to conceal almost anything with a decent IWB holster.

Yep, AND it is very easy for a bad guy to stove you up when trying to draw.

The only time I use a shoulder holster is when I am doing Armed plaincolthes bodyguard work AND I am driving.

I know some medical field people who wear a shoulder holster on their scrubs and a lab coat over it.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Just get an inside the belt line holster. It works great with most pistols, as long as you don't have dickiedo disease.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Its just one of those things that we will agree to disagree on. I feel when trained properly that a shoulder holster is just as safe. At the range I would never do a fast draw as that would not be allowed and if the gun goes off when re-holstering then that is a MAJOR mistake on part of the shooter. Again I feel it comes down to practice. Pointed in a safe direction. Again just my oppinion wich doesnt meen a thing. As far as a gun going off while holstered I would like to see that. I say if you are not good with a shoulder or any holster at that point, then dont chamber a round still better then no gun at all. I think belt holsters make it tuff when trying to put a seatbelt on and once on not very comfortable. Even a belt holster if its concealed there will be no fast draw as you will still have to pick up a shirt,coat to go to it. The cat is out of the bag at that point. This has been a good conversation.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yep, AND it is very easy for a bad guy to stove you up when trying to draw.

Not a fan of cross-draw for the same reason. Give me strong-side any day.

Its just one of those things that we will agree to disagree on. I feel when trained properly that a shoulder holster is just as safe. At the range I would never do a fast draw as that would not be allowed and if the gun goes off when re-holstering then that is a MAJOR mistake on part of the shooter. Again I feel it comes down to practice. Pointed in a safe direction. Again just my oppinion wich doesnt meen a thing. As far as a gun going off while holstered I would like to see that. I say if you are not good with a shoulder or any holster at that point, then dont chamber a round still better then no gun at all. I think belt holsters make it tuff when trying to put a seatbelt on and once on not very comfortable. Even a belt holster if its concealed there will be no fast draw as you will still have to pick up a shirt,coat to go to it. The cat is out of the bag at that point. This has been a good conversation.

Never said anything about the gun going off in the holster. However, people do have NDs going in and out, it happens. I'm not a fan of where the bullet's going to go in that situation. I'd rather it go down.

Proper training is all good and well, but do you train under duress? Do you have do force-on-force with simunition with this setup? Force-on-force with airsoft? Do you at least have someone say mean things as you draw and engage a target from the holster? :p

As far as a holster on the hip, I actually had a little bit of a race with a buddy in CA. I could pull my shirt back and have shots on target way faster when drawing from my Blackhawk CQC carried strong-side than he could with his shoulder-holster. He practiced more than I do, and he's the one that had a CHL (in CA, which is saying something).

He wasn't such a fan of the shoulder holster after that...

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    TXinv I used to live in AZ and its what I used. Also when we shot at the range its what was carried. It was what is called the Jackass style that puts the pistol at appox 45 degree angle facing up. It was not a Galco holster just that style type. Please if ive been getting lucky with this set up that is flawed fill me in. As far as training do the police teach how to properly use a shoulder holster? If they do u def have me beat. By training I should be more specific train wwith using it and wearing it . Thanks again for any info.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Sage u are going to change my mind yet good thing I have a Blackhawk OSW also thanks for the info ;) it was a gift.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    TXinv I used to live in AZ and its what I used. Also when we shot at the range its what was carried. It was what is called the Jackass style that puts the pistol at appox 45 degree angle facing up. It was not a Galco holster just that style type. Please if ive been getting lucky with this set up that is flawed fill me in. As far as training do the police teach how to properly use a shoulder holster? If they do u def have me beat. By training I should be more specific train wwith using it and wearing it . Thanks again for any info.

So as you draw the weapon you have to either cover people to your left, or those behind you. That is BAD. You also mentioned that with training, it is safe. I would never consider self training as sufficient training.

I have attended numerous training schools and you will not find an instructor that allows you to train there with a shoulder holster.

A lack of a bad incident does not equal good or safe tactics. I understand your concern about not being to access your weapon when seat belted in. That is why I shoulder holster carry when I am the driver in a protection detail. In my personal vehicle I keep another handgun in the vehicle that I can reach while I am seat belted in.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Ive been to a few schools myself but it was more proper shooting techniques not holster detail. Curious what schools did u attend that brought u through holster training? Can only imagine the insurance cost of that class.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Ive been to a few schools myself but it was more proper shooting techniques not holster detail. Curious what schools did u attend that brought u through holster training? Can only imagine the insurance cost of that class.

I have never been to a class that was not a "minimum standards" for state licensing that did not require holster work. Other than those licensing classes everything I have done has been all from the holster.

I have been to several classes at TFTT, including his advanced tactical handgun and basic carbune. Some other locations are Special Operations Systems, Condev-Training, etc. The course are intense and fun. Timed from holster to engaging multiple targets, shooting while moving, stationary and moving turns, CQB work, off hand shooting, reloading, etc. At one TFTT class we worked with two man team tactics, and it is very close proximity and from the holdter. LOADS OF FUN!

I would really like to make it to Gunsight and Blackwater this year.

Also, when I teach guard classes we progress to holster work. In my intermediate and advanced Concealed carry classes we work from concealment.

Top Bottom