• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Reloading 5.7X28 has it's challenges.......not for the meek or mild.......
    The case coating is one issue but not a big one.

The biggest issue I had was my mistake of swaging the staked/ crimp primer pockets. The rim is too small and expands. They need to be cut out.

The tiny bullets are flat based too which is another issue.

But all in all it isn't bad once you get it down.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    An affordable gun that shoot the 57 throws a wrench into the below...

MAIN POINT OF SELLING BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS EXTREME PRICE OF WEAPON AND CARTRIDGE.

So it’s not really a manbun caliber, it’s just a 22WMR in metric centerfire. But since it’s hard to reload, it can’t be for the proletariat.

So confused.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    PMR-30 raffs at this.

As you were saying:

DSC00968.jpg

GqOnIUbiRSMl1Seutp2qbOJLnx7b1CR17s0bfVuWcXY.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00968.jpg
      DSC00968.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 672

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I’d rather see this in .17 HMR or .22 TCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I don't know much about this chambering, but that is what it was starting to sound like to me. Anyone got a link to a comparison of 57 and .22 WMR? Would like to see the ballistics data side by side...

Kind of old but a bit of data:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/23/myth-busting-22-magnum-vs-5-7x28mm/

Kel-Tec have stated [PDF Link] that a 40 grain .22 WMR round should reach a velocity of 1230 fps from the 4.3″ barrel of their PMR-30 pistol. This works out to 134.40 ft/lbs of energy.

This is a significantly less than the FN Five-seveN USG (4.75″ barrel), which can push a 40 grain bullet at 2009 fps. This works out to 358.57 ft/lbs! Nearly three times as powerful as the .22 WMR! 1

There's a ton of reading if you search .22 Mag vs 5.7 in the search engine of your choice.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I'm tempted, but the nightmare stories about reloading 5.7 are seriously making me reconsider. "Cheap" ammo is about $0.39 - $0.40 per round. That's a bit more than I'd want to spend on a novelty.

This post from AR15.com sums it up.

Glacierwolf

I am a reloading instructor with 35+ years experience.

The 5.7x28mm is a semi-auto version of the 22 Hornet - and use the same diameter bullets as the 223, 5.56mm, 22-250 etc etc etc etc etc - it is a .224" bullet. You just cannot use the same bulelts from these other calibers in a 5.7 'cause the 5.7 likes 27gr to 40gr bulelts - 55gr for subsonic.

I have a ton of experience loading 223 for NRA Highpower Rifle competition to 600 yards - and I can tell you the 5.7x28mm is a very very difficult round to reload. The factory outside coating interfers with full length sizing. The case is too short to accomplish FL sizing, de-priming, and neck sizing all at once like normal reloading easily - your better off performing these steps individually, or, wreck 20+ cases getting the die dead on perfect.

The full sized brass always needs trimming. The primer pockets are military crimped and need to have it removed with a swagger.

The big problem - FN has never relieased their pressure data to United States manufacturer's - this means none of the powder or bullet companies can publish a load with 100% confidence it is safe. I've talked at lenght with Hodgon and Sierra about this.

There is some load data on the internet, and, a few magazines - but these almost always use a local powder like 'True Blue' that is only found on the East Coast and not on the West Coast, Alaska - or sold by mainstream companies like Midway. This makes loading for this caliber very dangerous!!

Bottom line. There just isn't enough info available for anyone to reload this round 100% safely. Just take a peek at your factory once fired brass and you will notice they all show signs of over pressure. I've never blown up a rifle or pistol reloading in 35 years, but, this is a real possibility for me as I continue to work on this caliber. By the end of June I should have some safe loads for 30gr Midway Dogtowns, 40gr Nosler BT's, and 55gr subsonics for people using suppressors. I will post them in this Five-Seven area. Lots of nice folks here. I have 24/7 access to a nice range just minutes from my house..

American gun shop walls and ceilings all over the country are decorated with blown up rifles and pistols - mostly from reloading. These are guns blown up that had published data available. The 5.7x28 is not for the novice reloader - and - if you can't afford to have your gun blown up - you shouldn't be reloading for this either.

Hope this helps! You can email me at the end of June and see where my load data is at.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/5_7x28_reloading/53-73395/

Damn, that looks nasty.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom