• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Since the conversation is covering a wide range of related topics, does anyone have one of those AR uppers that ejects the 5.7 brass down through the magazine well? I have no use for such a thing but the convenience of attaching a bag to catch brass without having some ungainly thing hanging off the side of the rifle always struck me as really, really neat.

If you've got one, tell us what you think of it.

My buddy has one and loves it. He uses a hollowed out mag to catch the brass. He said it is pointless but fun.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I have seen ballistics testing that said that as well. I was also going through reverse SRP in 2009 in early November at Ft. Hood where a very sad event took place that showed that the 5.7 round is quite effective.

The Ft. Hood shooter shot most people multiple times, IIRC, and had shot something like 5,000 rounds in practice before the shooting, and was for the most part, shooting unarmed people.

I think 5.7 has some merit, but the Ft. Hood shooting isn't exactly what I'd look to for validation that the round is good

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    With what? My posts, roughly in the context of this thread, about the TCM and WMR are pretty much limited to some chrono data here and here. The after action report on the gathering that generated that data starts here.

If you're looking for the video of Mr. G, is this what you're looking for?

Thanks, Ben. It’s been a while since I ran mine over a chronograph. I’ll update my previous post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    The Ft. Hood shooter shot most people multiple times, IIRC, and had shot something like 5,000 rounds in practice before the shooting, and was for the most part, shooting unarmed people.

I think 5.7 has some merit, but the Ft. Hood shooting isn't exactly what I'd look to for validation that the round is good
    I didn't say it was validation that the round is good. Just effective. Unless you are taking head shots, most people will require more than one round no matter the caliber used. Shot placement is still the key.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Not going to say it’s good or bad. But it was designed with the goal of defeating light body armor with terminal ballistics being secondary.

Using rounds that have been determined suitable for the serfs it may perform slightly better than with the bullets it was built around, but it’s still going to have some disadvantages over other rounds.

With THAT said, most handguns aren’t enough to physically stop someone with one shot unless you have very good shot placement. The stops are usually going to be due to physical pain and fear, and eventually bleeding out. Bigger holes bleed more, I don’t want to volunteer to be the test dummy for the pain and psychological effects of being shot by 5.7 vs other common rounds. But if I had to get shot by something I’d probably choose the smaller bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I'm tempted, but the nightmare stories about reloading 5.7 are seriously making me reconsider. "Cheap" ammo is about $0.39 - $0.40 per round. That's a bit more than I'd want to spend on a novelty.

This post from AR15.com sums it up.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/5_7x28_reloading/53-73395/

Damn, that looks nasty.

He's full of cow flop. True Blue power is available from almost every major supplier. I just checked Midway...guess what? They have it.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    With what? My posts, roughly in the context of this thread, about the TCM and WMR are pretty much limited to some chrono data here and here. The after action report on the gathering that generated that data starts here.

If you're looking for the video of Mr. G, is this what you're looking for?
    Thank you for linking this Ben!! I was thinking about this range day the other day and wondering where the footage went.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I didn't say it was validation that the round is good. Just effective. Unless you are taking head shots, most people will require more than one round no matter the caliber used. Shot placement is still the key.

It was a poor choice of words on my part, but the Ft. Hood shooting gets brought up a lot by 5.7 fans, often ignoring factors that don't line up with their view of the round.

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I was just checking Gun Broker, it looks like the Ruger 57s are going a few hundred above retail... $999.99. It reminds me when the PMR30s were hard to find & Gunbroker had them from $550 - $850
    It'll come down. The patient will get them for under MSRP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

subseashooter

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics