• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    So just got these in the mail today, and these are my impressions.

They are the following:

Benchmade 300SN Axis Flipper
    Spyderco Southard

img2368z.jpg

The Benchmade 300SN, what can I say it's your typical Benchmade. Of course the blade is 154CM, not the greatest, but gets the job done. It is well made, feels stout, little blade play, and smooth to open. The only negative I can say is the pressure that the Axis lock puts on the blade makes the flipper next to useless. You pretty much have to give a flick of the wrist to get a strong engagement. This knife is quicker to deploy from the thumb stud, or from gravity by releasing the Axis lock. Overall a great knife, but it the flipper is quite frankly only useful as a choil.

On to the Spyderco Southard. Blade is CTS-204P, will have to evaluate this steel myself. This is an impressive knife, and it should be given it's price. Has a strong lockup, no blade play, and the flipper opens the knife with authority. The only negatives in this knife, and you will see this as a main gripe by most, is the difference in thickness from the lock side to the G10 side, and the Spyderco hole is almost useless. The knife looks unbalanced, but feels great in the hand.

If I had to keep on obviously it would be the Southard. It is really upsetting, because the Axis lock and a flipper sound like such a great combination, but in reality it just doesn't work well.
    Target Sports

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The only negative I can say is the pressure that the Axis lock puts on the blade makes the flipper next to useless. You pretty much have to give a flick of the wrist to get a strong engagement. This knife is quicker to deploy from the thumb stud, or from gravity by releasing the Axis lock. Overall a great knife, but it the flipper is quite frankly only useful as a choil.
    Perhaps yours is too tight? With mine it only takes a very slight movement to lock it open after moving it past the detent that keeps the blade closed with the flipper. Not really what I'd call a flick of the wrist.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    Well. I am still not impressed, the pivot on the knife is not too tight. Like I said the Axis lock doesn't provide a strong enough detent to make a good flipper IMO.

Top Bottom