Just returned from a funeral

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
Why do Southern Baptist funerals always seem to be about salvation and not so much about celebration?
It's the same Sunday morning Southern Baptist sermon of salvation, repentance and damnation I've heard for 40 years.

I'm a recovering Southern Baptist and have made life-long friends through the church. I recall vividly the day I was saved.
But at some point, teach me how to live my life better and not so much to cast a broad net hoping to save someone in a room full of folks who are already there.

Mar 11, 2012
Houston
I was a funeral director in Houston for over 12 years. I must have served 5000 families in that time. Every deceased person went to heaven, not 1 went to hell. With an average like that Id say you were safe.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
Why do Southern Baptist funerals always seem to be about salvation and not so much about celebration?
It's the same Sunday morning Southern Baptist sermon of salvation, repentance and damnation I've heard for 40 years.

I'm a recovering Southern Baptist and have made life-long friends through the church. I recall vividly the day I was saved.
But at some point, teach me how to live my life better and not so much to cast a broad net hoping to save someone in a room full of folks who are already there.
I feel the same...as a child I was raised Southern Babtist. As Gallagher said, "church was a weekly reminder there was something worse than school". I have been saved twice, and stay away from the churches that are nothing but damnation.

My condolences for you loss.

Acera

TGT Addict
Jan 17, 2011
Republic of Texas
Baptist preachers do what Baptist preachers do.

Q: How do you keep a Baptist from drinking all you beer when you take him fishing???
A: Bring a second Baptist along to fish with you guys. :)

Q: Why don't Baptists have sex standing up??
A: In case someone sees them, might think they were dancing.

Q: Why do Baptists object to premarital sex?
A: They are afraid it might lead to drinking and dancing.

There are three truths in life:
Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

A woman called on the Baptist minister and asked him if he would preach funeral for her dog who had just died.
"I can't do that, ma'am," he said. "Why don't you try the Presbyterian minister?"
"All right," she said, "but can you give me some advice. How much should I pay him - three hundred dollars or four hundred dollars?"
"Hold on," he said, "I didn't know your dog was Baptist!"

One day a man dies, who was a devout Christian. Saint Peter meets him at the Pearly Gates and begins to give him a tour of Heaven. As the tour goes on, Saint Paul points out all the different Christians. "There's the Catholics, there's the Lutherans, the Methodists, the Presbyterians", and so forth. As they come to this one group way off to themselves, Saint Paul motions for the man to come closer and whispers. "Now, for this next group, we need to be really quiet. They are the Baptists and they think they're the only ones here."

stdreb27

TGT Addict
Dec 12, 2011
Corpus christi
Baptist preachers do what Baptist preachers do.

Q: How do you keep a Baptist from drinking all you beer when you take him fishing???
A: Bring a second Baptist along to fish with you guys. :)

Q: Why don't Baptists have sex standing up??
A: In case someone sees them, might think they were dancing.

Q: Why do Baptists object to premarital sex?
A: They are afraid it might lead to drinking and dancing.

There are three truths in life:
Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

A woman called on the Baptist minister and asked him if he would preach funeral for her dog who had just died.
"I can't do that, ma'am," he said. "Why don't you try the Presbyterian minister?"
"All right," she said, "but can you give me some advice. How much should I pay him - three hundred dollars or four hundred dollars?"
"Hold on," he said, "I didn't know your dog was Baptist!"

One day a man dies, who was a devout Christian. Saint Peter meets him at the Pearly Gates and begins to give him a tour of Heaven. As the tour goes on, Saint Paul points out all the different Christians. "There's the Catholics, there's the Lutherans, the Methodists, the Presbyterians", and so forth. As they come to this one group way off to themselves, Saint Paul motions for the man to come closer and whispers. "Now, for this next group, we need to be really quiet. They are the Baptists and they think they're the only ones here."
Bahahaha. Grew up baptist, those are some funny jokes.

You know if you truly believe what the bible says, then it's an ideal time to talk about Salvation.

I personally think it goes overboard. But hey if you really believe everyone is headin to hell you'd take every opportunity to dissuade them.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis

Interesting question. I suppose it depends who your audience is. If you are talking to a room full of Christians, verses a room full of worldly people or a mixed group.

I have found in many Baptist churches there should be more emphasis on how to live as a Christian once you are part of the church. The Southern Baptists need to be respected though as they are still preaching the gospel while many other mainline denominations have turned their back on it.

As far as why are they "like that" at a funeral? Well, that person is dead and gone (God rest their soul) and it's a reminder of how we are to live while still on Earth and that our time is short and we need to be right with God, today.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
As far as why are they "like that" at a funeral? Well, that person is dead and gone (God rest their soul) and it's a reminder of how we are to live while still on Earth and that our time is short and we need to be right with God, today.
And that's where we differ.

IMHO ....

A funeral should be celebrating the life of the deceased in order to leave a lasting, final, positive memory for those who loved him or her.

Instead, it's a marketing opportunity. Don't say - Hey, he's gone. His opportunity for salvation has passed and I pray he walked through that door. But, it's not too late for the rest of you.

I find that in very bad taste.

The gospel can be spread in many ways. Living it spreads it with more meaning than high pressure sales tactics.

And to give a peak into my family's past, I grew up in a primitive Baptist church and spent quality and joyous time as an associate youth minister at a small ABA church and the wife spent several semesters studying at SWBTS.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
And that's where we differ.

IMHO ....

A funeral should be celebrating the life of the deceased in order to leave a lasting, final, positive memory for those who loved him or her.

Instead, it's a marketing opportunity. Don't say - Hey, he's gone. His opportunity for salvation has passed and I pray he walked through that door. But, it's not too late for the rest of you.

I find that in very bad taste.

The gospel can be spread in many ways. Living it spreads it with more meaning than high pressure sales tactics.

And to give a peak into my family's past, I grew up in a primitive Baptist church and spent quality and joyous time as an associate youth minister at a small ABA church and the wife spent several semesters studying at SWBTS.
I understand what you are saying.

I dont recall which catacomb it was in but the monks would have this written on their skulls after they were gone for someone else to see down the road. "I was once as you are and you will be as I am now."

Kind of heavy I know. But to a Christian salvation and evangelizing is all that should matter. That being said, a real Christians life should be worthy of celebration if they lived it right. Their life should be their testimony and honored at their death.

Top Bottom