• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Why do Southern Baptist funerals always seem to be about salvation and not so much about celebration?
    It's the same Sunday morning Southern Baptist sermon of salvation, repentance and damnation I've heard for 40 years.

I'm a recovering Southern Baptist and have made life-long friends through the church. I recall vividly the day I was saved.
    But at some point, teach me how to live my life better and not so much to cast a broad net hoping to save someone in a room full of folks who are already there.
    Capitol Armory ad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Houston
    I was a funeral director in Houston for over 12 years. I must have served 5000 families in that time. Every deceased person went to heaven, not 1 went to hell. With an average like that Id say you were safe.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Why do Southern Baptist funerals always seem to be about salvation and not so much about celebration?
    It's the same Sunday morning Southern Baptist sermon of salvation, repentance and damnation I've heard for 40 years.

I'm a recovering Southern Baptist and have made life-long friends through the church. I recall vividly the day I was saved.
    But at some point, teach me how to live my life better and not so much to cast a broad net hoping to save someone in a room full of folks who are already there.

I feel the same...as a child I was raised Southern Babtist. As Gallagher said, "church was a weekly reminder there was something worse than school". I have been saved twice, and stay away from the churches that are nothing but damnation.

My condolences for you loss.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Baptist preachers do what Baptist preachers do.

Q: How do you keep a Baptist from drinking all you beer when you take him fishing???
    A: Bring a second Baptist along to fish with you guys. :)

Q: Why don't Baptists have sex standing up??
    A: In case someone sees them, might think they were dancing.

Q: Why do Baptists object to premarital sex?
    A: They are afraid it might lead to drinking and dancing.

There are three truths in life:
    Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

A woman called on the Baptist minister and asked him if he would preach funeral for her dog who had just died.
    "I can't do that, ma'am," he said. "Why don't you try the Presbyterian minister?"
    "All right," she said, "but can you give me some advice. How much should I pay him - three hundred dollars or four hundred dollars?"
    "Hold on," he said, "I didn't know your dog was Baptist!"

One day a man dies, who was a devout Christian. Saint Peter meets him at the Pearly Gates and begins to give him a tour of Heaven. As the tour goes on, Saint Paul points out all the different Christians. "There's the Catholics, there's the Lutherans, the Methodists, the Presbyterians", and so forth. As they come to this one group way off to themselves, Saint Paul motions for the man to come closer and whispers. "Now, for this next group, we need to be really quiet. They are the Baptists and they think they're the only ones here."

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Baptist preachers do what Baptist preachers do.

Q: How do you keep a Baptist from drinking all you beer when you take him fishing???

Q: Why don't Baptists have sex standing up??
    A: In case someone sees them, might think they were dancing.

Q: Why do Baptists object to premarital sex?
    A: They are afraid it might lead to drinking and dancing.

There are three truths in life:
    Jewish people do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

A woman called on the Baptist minister and asked him if he would preach funeral for her dog who had just died.
    "I can't do that, ma'am," he said. "Why don't you try the Presbyterian minister?"
    "All right," she said, "but can you give me some advice. How much should I pay him - three hundred dollars or four hundred dollars?"
    "Hold on," he said, "I didn't know your dog was Baptist!"

One day a man dies, who was a devout Christian. Saint Peter meets him at the Pearly Gates and begins to give him a tour of Heaven. As the tour goes on, Saint Paul points out all the different Christians. "There's the Catholics, there's the Lutherans, the Methodists, the Presbyterians", and so forth. As they come to this one group way off to themselves, Saint Paul motions for the man to come closer and whispers. "Now, for this next group, we need to be really quiet. They are the Baptists and they think they're the only ones here."

Bahahaha. Grew up baptist, those are some funny jokes.

You know if you truly believe what the bible says, then it's an ideal time to talk about Salvation.

I personally think it goes overboard. But hey if you really believe everyone is headin to hell you'd take every opportunity to dissuade them.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis

Interesting question. I suppose it depends who your audience is. If you are talking to a room full of Christians, verses a room full of worldly people or a mixed group.

I have found in many Baptist churches there should be more emphasis on how to live as a Christian once you are part of the church. The Southern Baptists need to be respected though as they are still preaching the gospel while many other mainline denominations have turned their back on it.

As far as why are they "like that" at a funeral? Well, that person is dead and gone (God rest their soul) and it's a reminder of how we are to live while still on Earth and that our time is short and we need to be right with God, today.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    As far as why are they "like that" at a funeral? Well, that person is dead and gone (God rest their soul) and it's a reminder of how we are to live while still on Earth and that our time is short and we need to be right with God, today.

And that's where we differ.

IMHO ....

A funeral should be celebrating the life of the deceased in order to leave a lasting, final, positive memory for those who loved him or her.

Instead, it's a marketing opportunity. Don't say - Hey, he's gone. His opportunity for salvation has passed and I pray he walked through that door. But, it's not too late for the rest of you.

I find that in very bad taste.

The gospel can be spread in many ways. Living it spreads it with more meaning than high pressure sales tactics.

And to give a peak into my family's past, I grew up in a primitive Baptist church and spent quality and joyous time as an associate youth minister at a small ABA church and the wife spent several semesters studying at SWBTS.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    And that's where we differ.

IMHO ....

A funeral should be celebrating the life of the deceased in order to leave a lasting, final, positive memory for those who loved him or her.

Instead, it's a marketing opportunity. Don't say - Hey, he's gone. His opportunity for salvation has passed and I pray he walked through that door. But, it's not too late for the rest of you.

The gospel can be spread in many ways. Living it spreads it with more meaning than high pressure sales tactics.

And to give a peak into my family's past, I grew up in a primitive Baptist church and spent quality and joyous time as an associate youth minister at a small ABA church and the wife spent several semesters studying at SWBTS.

I understand what you are saying.

I dont recall which catacomb it was in but the monks would have this written on their skulls after they were gone for someone else to see down the road. "I was once as you are and you will be as I am now."

Kind of heavy I know. But to a Christian salvation and evangelizing is all that should matter. That being said, a real Christians life should be worthy of celebration if they lived it right. Their life should be their testimony and honored at their death.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    South West Bible & Tactical School?

j/k ;)

In hind-sight ... it was quite tactical ...

I understand what you are saying.

I dont recall which catacomb it was in but the monks would have this written on their skulls after they were gone for someone else to see down the road. "I was once as you are and you will be as I am now."

Kind of heavy I know. But to a Christian salvation and evangelizing is all that should matter. That being said, a real Christians life should be worthy of celebration if they lived it right. Their life should be their testimony and honored at their death.

And I believe you do understand.

While heavy, it is quite the message.

Where we still veer is that EVERYONE's life should be celebrated at their death. It shouldn't be just for those who believe as you and I do. EVERYONE brings something to the table.

As evangelists, its up to you and I to learn from that gift.

I have learned from and become more grounded in my faith by being friends with agnostics, non-believers, "cultists", gays and satanics. Believe it or not, they are just as charitable and forgiving as I.

Why?

My heart tells me not to judge folks based upon worldly deeds. I only know of One who has that job and it ain't me.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In hind-sight ... it was quite tactical ...

And I believe you do understand.

While heavy, it is quite the message.

Where we still veer is that EVERYONE's life should be celebrated at their death. It shouldn't be just for those who believe as you and I do. EVERYONE brings something to the table.

As evangelists, its up to you and I to learn from that gift.

I have learned from and become more grounded in my faith by being friends with agnostics, non-believers, "cultists", gays and satanics. Believe it or not, they are just as charitable and forgiving as I.

Why?

My heart tells me not to judge folks based upon worldly deeds. I only know of One who has that job and it ain't me.

We are to judge, as in to discern, what we are called not to do is to condemn. I agree its definitely good and right though to go out and show the Light to all of the world, not just to the convenient.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

First off, sorry about your loss.

Perhaps to a degree it depends on the Preacher. I was raised Catholic and migrated to Southern Baptist. I loved the change. If you want to talk about constantly hearing of your damnation and burning in the fires of hell, Catholicism is where it's at.

Anyway I'm with you that a funeral should be a celebration. There is enough grief from the loss that family and friends need a to hear an uplifting and supportive message.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Lol

At the ladies luncheon with the Preacher's wife I ordered a beer. I think I could have floated to heaven with the amount of prayers that went up in that instant.

It's a memory that brings good laugh.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I find it in bad taste, too. The preacher at grandmother's funeral acted like he was in a revival tent. All fire and brimstone, and nothing about my nanny. I would have walked out had it not been my own grandmother's funeral. I'm not even sure she would have liked a sermon like that. She was a believer, but not all that churchy.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    My humble thoughts on the matter.

First and foremost a funeral should be for the living about the deceased for those there to draw comfort and help in the mourning process.

As folks there will be in different stages of grief all five or seven depending on what you think should be addressed to help folks along. This shouldn't be done by a stranger or someone not versed in the process. Most funerals I've been to don't help folks at all like the OPs example.

Denial
    Anger
    Bargaining
    Depression
    Acceptance\Peace

Christian funerals should also include Christ and His sacrifice that all might be resurrected. We aren't judge and jury, don't know who's going to end up where but all shall be resurrected. I find most preachers mention Christ's death and resurrection but fail to recognize during the sermon the hope and promise of how this applies to those who believe. We benefit from the resurrection. Christ was the first to conquer death, for us to follow.

I think thoughts on the person who is deceased should be free to those who want to say them within good taste the stipulation that no ill should be said of the dead is a bad suggestion. Those who have something to say, even the not so good should say it if needed.

I remember when my uncle died. We all knew he'd had kids from other women but a few extra showed up most were unaware of. 12 kids showed up, only 9 were expected\known about. The topic was breached and from then on tentions much more relaxed.

1 Corinthians 15:20-22

King James Version (KJV)

20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
    21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
    22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Hope, joy, happiness and the chance of friends and family to be together during a time all need support should be the goals of a funeral.

Last edited:

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    While a believer, I find big box religion more about the opportunity to collect money than salvation and they never miss a chance to recruit. My parents forced me to go as a kid every time the doors opened. The result was I haven't been back in over thirty years unless it involved a wedding or funeral. I do my own study and try to be an example others wish to follow rather than an in your face proponent of suffering and doom.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    First off, sorry about your loss.

Perhaps to a degree it depends on the Preacher. I was raised Catholic and migrated to Southern Baptist. I loved the change. If you want to talk about constantly hearing of your damnation and burning in the fires of hell, Catholicism is where it's at.

Anyway I'm with you that a funeral should be a celebration. There is enough grief from the loss that family and friends need a to hear an uplifting and supportive message.

LOL. What Catholic church did you go to?

My summary of Catholicism over decades is how we should be acting on our faith and not just talking about it. I've never heard a priest harp on hell.

Top Bottom