• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    This is sad and it gives the anti's more fodder for their cannons. There is truly NO excuse for it. There is NO reason to have an unattended weapon READY to FIRE.

I keep all my concealed weapons, those in my drawer and in my vehicles, loaded but UNchambered. That way I know exactly what I must do if I need it. RACK the slide first. I am sure that even if a grandkid was to encounter it, he will not know to go through the procedure of firing it.

Now I know some of you will pipe up and declare, "MY 4 year old can rack the slide and fire my weapon". Great. But MINE cannot. They have been trained over and over that if they see a gun to ASK an adult first before touching it.

It all comes down to training and planning, when it comes to guns.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    This is sad and it gives the anti's more fodder for their cannons. There is truly NO excuse for it. There is NO reason to have an unattended weapon READY to FIRE.

I keep all my concealed weapons, those in my drawer and in my vehicles, loaded but UNchambered. That way I know exactly what I must do if I need it. RACK the slide first. I am sure that even if a grandkid was to encounter it, he will not know to go through the procedure of firing it.

Now I know some of you will pipe up and declare, "MY 4 year old can rack the slide and fire my weapon". Great. But MINE cannot. They have been trained over and over that if they see a gun to ASK an adult first before touching it.

It all comes down to training and planning, when it comes to guns.

That's all true. The more kids know about guns, the less likely they are to dick around with them. If they've been with you when you're shooting, and they've already seen what that itty-bitty piece of copper can do to something like a deer (or - hell, even just a bottle), it'll be impressed into their little minds that that cool looking thing is NOT a toy to be played with.
    And if you discipline them properly, they won't risk the eventual spanking either. Lord knows, I've always known how destructive a bullet can be, but I was still too afraid of my dad's belt to even think of dicking around with his guns without his permission or supervision. It never freakin' crossed my mind!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I can't tell you how many damn times I've shown guns to customers that always say they NEED to have a manual safety, and they don't feel safe with guns that don't have one. Even after I walk them through the basic internal safeties present in almost all modern handguns, and explain how safe they are as long as you don't break those 4 little rules, they still feel unsafe. Then comes the standard response you ALWAYS hear from everyone of these people, "Oh without a safety I'm afraid if my kid gets a hold of it....." The point being, YOUR CHILD SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO GET A HOLD OF IT IN THE FIRST PLACE! A safety is not a replacement for adult responsibility and lack of parenting. Teach your kids about firearms, how to be safe and responsible with them, and when the guns are not under your direct control, keep them locked up so it's impossible for the kids to get access to them. "Hiding" guns, placing them on a really high shelf, etc are all negligent because kids will always find a way. What they will not find a way through is a few inches and 100+lbs of rock solid steel.

Top Bottom