Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you're old enough to have watched her when the show was new, then you ain't no spring chicken yourself.
    I did everything I could in college to hook up with Bernadette Allard. I met her the first day of my first class, Philosophy 101. She was a perfect 18-year-old copy of Lynda Carter.

If only I had been successful but, as you can imagine, there was a hell of a lot of competition. :(

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Well, not that it matters, but one of the actresses that played Wonder Woman hates her country, and the other is outspoken about her support of her country in the face of terrorist threats.

This other Wonder Woman served in the military and has probably shot more interesting guns than I have anyway.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Watched it enjoyed it very much. Even the wife enjoyed it. Gal Dot I think was a great choice for today's WW. IMO right up there with the Dark Knight series. DC has been playing catch up with Marvel for some time now. Lots of eh movies have come out of DC with exception of the Batman series (except for Batman V Superman that wasn't that good), Suicide squad was pretty good though borderline and now WOnder Woman IMO is one of the best.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I saw "Wonder Woman" and liked the female lead a lot. She is a refreshing addition to a drab and lifeless crew of usual female actors.

The movie......That's a different story. I got up to make a pit stop and had to decide if I really wanted to see the rest of the flick. I relented, returned and caught the rest of it.

What bothered me most were the trite cliches like "Only LOVE can save the World!" Preposterous battle scenes iced that cake.
    I wouldn't give it an F, but I feel mostly the same way. It was just "ok" for me.

roboHOFF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2017
    El Paso
    Anyone else notice the very prominent Christian undertone of the storyline? Angel gets kicked out of heaven (Hades/Lucifer) ends up covertly ruling the world by influencing and corrupting humanity. God (Zeus) creates a savior not born from man (Virgin Mary, Wonder Woman was molded from clay and brought to life by Zeus) we are all fallen and not deserving of her savior but through love of humanity she saves us all. The only difference is she's a woman and wasn't crucified

sylvirfoxx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2017
    Texas
    Anyone else notice the very prominent Christian undertone of the storyline? Angel gets kicked out of heaven (Hades/Lucifer) ends up covertly ruling the world by influencing and corrupting humanity. God (Zeus) creates a savior not born from man (Virgin Mary, Wonder Woman was molded from clay and brought to life by Zeus) we are all fallen and not deserving of her savior but through love of humanity she saves us all. The only difference is she's a woman and wasn't crucified
    I noticed the similarities, which I did not care for. I'll take my Christian themes sans the Greek mythology, please. I dislike mixes of the two - trying to correlate the God of the Bible and Zeus, when you know the radically different characters of both, is a little sickening. BTW, it was Ares, not Hades (the god of war, not the god of the underworld). Personally, I feel the Christian theology was used to make it more palatable to the audience, and I dislike it when people use God for marketing purposes. I probably would have skipped WW had I known how steeped it was in Greek mythology, but I realize now that that's how the comics were, and so as it stands, my thoughts on it are...

I liked seeing a female superhero-main character (rather than a female semi-hero - I'm looking at you, Black Widow!) a lot. It was extremely refreshing, and I enjoyed that immensely. And some of the battle scenes were very enjoyable, too - mostly the No Man's Land and the training scenes - not the ones with Ares. Also starring Chris Pine as Chris Pine character #3. (I mean, he wasn't bad - his character was fairly cool - but... he was just so... predictably Chris Pine-y. Lol.)

Other cons beyond the aforementioned:
    - Some of the dialogue/writing was sappy. True looooooove will saaaave the woooorld... *violin music ensues* Seriously. There are ways you can communicate that with out it being... so... ew.
    - Ares was an incredibly weak villain. Seriously. I had him picked out as the villain (before you "knew" he was a bad guy and was still *insert other guy's name here*) about 5 seconds after his character was on screen. He was unbearably annoying and at that point I pretty much just wanted them to hurry up and kill him and end the movie.

Overall, it was okay. Wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again. I liked it. Kind of. I'll stick to Marvel, I think.

(Plot hole, though? Whatever happened to that big German ship that came through the dome thingy to Paradise Island? They killed all the bros on the rowboats, but what about that ship? And the other ships that had been right behind them in the fog?)

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    So she carries condition 3 and shoots in horse stance?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....and likely hits what she aims at.

WW was a great film that should include the subtitle "How Patty Jenkins Saved The DCU And Looks Hot Doing It".

Heck, she even made Chris Pine look competent...... JJ Abrams couldn't even do that!

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Anyone else notice the very prominent Christian undertone of the storyline? Angel gets kicked out of heaven (Hades/Lucifer) ends up covertly ruling the world by influencing and corrupting humanity. God (Zeus) creates a savior not born from man (Virgin Mary, Wonder Woman was molded from clay and brought to life by Zeus) we are all fallen and not deserving of her savior but through love of humanity she saves us all.
    I noticed the similarities, which I did not care for. I'll take my Christian themes sans the Greek mythology, please. I dislike mixes of the two - trying to correlate the God of the Bible and Zeus, when you know the radically different characters of both, is a little sickening.
    The character archetypes and general story have been around since pre-history and spans many cultures. The only problem I have with it is it's very unoriginal, but this isn't that type of movie; it's just a fun action/fantasy flick... Hollywood isn't really known for their originality anyways. What story can we remake next?

sylvirfoxx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2017
    Texas
    The character archetypes and general story have been around since pre-history and spans many cultures. The only problem I have with it is it's very unoriginal, but this isn't that type of movie; it's just a fun action/fantasy flick... Hollywood isn't really known for their originality anyways. What story can we remake next?
    Actually, they changed her origin story. In the original comics, she was formed out of clay and willed into existence by a variety of goddesses and Hermes. When DC rebooted the comics, and in the movie, Zeus is her biological father, and the whole clay thing is a cover story - no surprise considering the profligate lecher Zeus was in mythology. They had options and instead chose to change it. Probably hoping something that sounded familiar would go over better.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Actually, they changed her origin story. In the original comics, she was formed out of clay and willed into existence by a variety of goddesses and Hermes. When DC rebooted the comics, and in the movie, Zeus is her biological father, and the whole clay thing is a cover story - no surprise considering the profligate lecher Zeus was in mythology. They had options and instead chose to change it. Probably hoping something that sounded familiar would go over better.
    They changed her origin story in the comics to this, too....

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

XDMAR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Clear Lake
    I saw "Wonder Woman" and liked the female lead a lot. She is a refreshing addition to a drab and lifeless crew of usual female actors.

The movie......That's a different story. I got up to make a pit stop and had to decide if I really wanted to see the rest of the flick. I relented, returned and caught the rest of it.

What bothered me most were the trite cliches like "Only LOVE can save the World!" Preposterous battle scenes iced that cake.

Sorry, I gave "Wonder Woman" an "F". There was nothing of interest for me.

Flash
    Shut your mouth. She's heads and toes above Carter. But in fairness that is a high bar to jump.

Top Bottom