• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I recently got myself a new to me (refurbished) HP ZBook 17" G6 laptop. I plan to have it for several years without wanting or needing to upgrade it. I've had my old laptop since 2012 or 2013 and it was still going strong, just needed an upgrade. The new one has:

Processor: Intel I7-9780 H processor running at 2.60 GHZ
    RAM: 64 GB
    System Type: 64 Bit
    Hard Drive: 1 TB NVME
    GPU: NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 with 8 MB RAM
    Display: UHD 3840X2160 resolution (don't know the refresh rate)
    Optical Disk Drive: DVD/CD (it was nice to find one that still had one of these, I never uploaded all of my music CDs to my other laptop and am happy I do not need to order a stand alone DVD player)
    Security: Fingerprint Reader

Don't bother asking how much it cost but I am guessing that, because it was refurbished, it was much less expensive than an equivalent new one with similar specifications; still though, it is the most expensive computer I have ever owned. While checking on the graphics card, I discovered that model currently retails for just above or just under 1K depending on where you get it. Should be nice playing games on this one and storing lots and lots of photos/videos. I had ordered two prior to this one and sent back the first because the HP rep seemingly embellished (that is saying it nicely) the performance of the GPU that came with that one. When I checked its performance on UserBenchmark.com, it came in with one of the poorest performance ratings of all; so, back it went (yes I should have checked before ordering). The second one came with a tiny nick or scratch on the screen and looked like a dot of bright light. So, back that one went as well as the first. This one, cost about $300 more than the second one and I must say the cost of the Graphics Card alone far out weighed the price increase. UserBenchMark had this to say about mine when I tested it through their site:

88.6% is a very good 3D score, it's the business. This GPU can handle recent 3D games at high resolutions and ultra detail levels.

In addition the hard drive is 2X as big as was the one in the 2nd one I had ordered. I found a good deal I think; it is rather amazing though that some of the refurbished machines HP offers have much fewer features yet cost as much or more than those with higher end features - no telling how they figure their pricing.

This current one had what looked like a bit of someone's lunch on the key pad here and there when I took it out of the box (very little but definitely there); I cleaned it off. I learned long ago not to eat or drink when using my computer - that was drummed into my head a work; you'd think if they are sending you a refurbished laptop, they'd make sure it at least looked clean. Regardless, this one seems to work well enough. The only possible flaws maybe that the action of the 5 key (at top on main keyboard not on the number pad) is a bit mushy compared to the others and that is right where someone left a bit of their lunch. I figure it will get better, and it seems so after just a bit of use, but if not - it is covered by the warranty. Other than that and a tiny scratch on the extreme right side of the keyboard body, it seems excellent so far. Using it a bit more should tell if there are any other glitches.

Just got some games for it, they are probably a bit dated by now but that is okay with me. Got what I think are the latest versions of Doom & Fallout. I have played Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Fallout New Vegas (damned little gray cells - make it so I cannot recall if I also had the original Fallout & Fallout 2); I must say each I have played for sure is as good as or better than was the previous version. Quite an addiction they are! Sure, I played other computer games before that (the original Doom, it was the first really high end game (graphically) that I ever played but my initiation into PC games was essentially a graphics free game - Zork (it was, as I recall, the first interactive PC game to hit the market). I still have that one with the box somewhere in my collection of pretty much worthless memorabilia; well, worthless except for its nostalgic value. Anyway, this machine should be able to play whatever games are on the market now or so I think.

Hopefully it will last as long as the previous one lasted.
    ARJ Defense ad

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom