DK Firearms

Just south of Van Horn... lock or no lock cabin..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    I'm putting up a cabin 12 x 24 off of US90 and wanted to know if theres any KNOWN issues out that way with people crossing the Rio. Going out for 1 week mid-April for the build.. then back to PA for 4 months or so.. before coming back out again..

Second issue the cabin is a basic shell and will only have 1 door and no windows (2 skylights 13 feet up on the roof).. do you folks think I should lock the single door or just leave it open and empty when I leave it after its built (next month)..

I've read online.. some say leave it open and empty.. or locked and empty.. (I was thinking locked and empty)..

Should I put a sign in Spanish/English saying EMPTY & also No Trespass, Etc..??

HD/Lowes sell those solar powered motion lights.. should I mount 1 up on the eve to maybe prevent issues??

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    The two prevailing theories on cabin security are. 1) Secure it like it was Fort Knox. 2) Leave it open so no one will damage it trying to get into your Fort Knox.

I personally go for the Fort Knox approach. I have a cabin about 60 miles from the border and have never had a problem. I have caught travelers on game cameras but they tend to stay away from structures, especially the blinds.

I did post English/Spanish sings at the cabin that read, “Go Away” and one at the water guzzler “Do not drink the water it will make you very sick.”

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    We had a place in south of Rock Springs that had a lot of illegal traffic. They constanty broke into our trailer even though it was empty but never bothered the house when we got it built. All the doors and windows were shuttered and reinforced and the walls were 6" thick solid wood logs. We sold the place 4 years ago so I don't know if it's still the same.

epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    So getting a steel door with no window panels, will that help??

I was going to add a drop-bolt and dead-bolt and the extended nail trick with some sheet metal..

Again, no windows at the ground level..

I am 10 miles up a county road from the RioGrande.. but again it appears to have no traffic..

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I'm putting up a cabin 12 x 24 off of US90 and wanted to know if theres any KNOWN issues out that way with people crossing the Rio. Going out for 1 week mid-April for the build.. then back to PA for 4 months or so.. before coming back out again..

Second issue the cabin is a basic shell and will only have 1 door and no windows (2 skylights 13 feet up on the roof).. do you folks think I should lock the single door or just leave it open and empty when I leave it after its built (next month)..

I've read online.. some say leave it open and empty.. or locked and empty.. (I was thinking locked and empty)..

Should I put a sign in Spanish/English saying EMPTY & also No Trespass, Etc..??

HD/Lowes sell those solar powered motion lights.. should I mount 1 up on the eve to maybe prevent issues??

If it is empty.... leave it unlocked....that way no one damages your door trying to get in.... once your have valueables, then get it secured the best you can afford....

epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    Just taked to the BP.. they say the road I am on has only local farmers and such.. and just simple lock it and leave it empty..

He suggested facing the door toward the road so when they pass they can visually see it from the road..

Guess this part will be the coin-toss..

I'm also going to get a sign made with my name and contact info in case they need to ring me up.. (I've had the same cell # for 4 years now)..

cazador1022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    border war zone EL PASO TX
    lock it. I was there this past week and saw some illegals cross on horseback w no saddle after a few miles they dismounted and cut the horses loose. I told the BP but they told me that part of chispa road was marfa sector. So there is alien traffic out there.

epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    Well I paid for everything today.. building, airline/SUV, hotel..

I grabbed 2 solar lights from HD today. cheezy driveway alarm (battery) rated good on Amazn.. and a small cheezy door/window alarm..
    (all of which will be left inside the LOCKED cabin/building once I leave back to PA..)

Going to utilize all of it for the week I will be out there.. I have a new NO TRESPASS sign coming in Eng/Spanish to post up on a fence post..

I'll have to see what I see that week and at night and try to figure it from there.. I have 2 people from the area that hunt south of my property and they said they'd peek in on it for exchange of hunting rights.. (IMHO.. good deal for me..)

Be bringing my AR with me more than likely.. I will be spending 2 nights ON the property..

stx kid

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    laredo
    Suppose I should throw my 2c in here as I deal with this issue daily.

As a builder, I would leave it wide open until I get my wires and plumbing roughed in ( they'll strip the wires and steal your tubes and fittings). After you have your place roughed in you need to make FOR DAMN SURE your door is break in proof. I personally like using steel plates arround the frame of the door that get screwed into the cripples. that way it'll be kick proof. Now if they want in.. they will find a way in. With that said please understand that most "immigrants" are only looking to improve their place in life aka the American Dream. Of course there are the notorious few that will stop at nothing to make sure you have a bad day.

all in all be safe and watch for snakes!

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    Suppose I should throw my 2c in here as I deal with this issue daily.

As a builder, I would leave it wide open until I get my wires and plumbing roughed in ( they'll strip the wires and steal your tubes and fittings). After you have your place roughed in you need to make FOR DAMN SURE your door is break in proof. I personally like using steel plates arround the frame of the door that get screwed into the cripples. that way it'll be kick proof. Now if they want in.. they will find a way in. With that said please understand that most "immigrants" are only looking to improve their place in life aka the American Dream. Of course there are the notorious few that will stop at nothing to make sure you have a bad day.

all in all be safe and watch for snakes!

That used to be the case but not as much anymore. There aren't nearly as many jobs as there was 5 years ago to attract the "honest" ones. The percentage of smugglers is much higher now.

epsgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Off US-90
    UPDATE..

I found these.. they have a 2 1/2" BOLT length to go thru the door frame and directly into the 2x4 framing.. (not using the little metal thing),,

Do you think 2 of these (with padlocks).. 1 top (going up into header) and 1 bottom (into floor) in addition to deadbolt and locking knob would deter most people??

slidebolt.jpg

Top Bottom