• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • n5wd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Foat Wuth
    The days of just going over the boarder are looooong gone !

My grandfather had a house just east of the big Coliseum on Paisano - we were almost at the end of the block, behind us was a ball field and just south of that, the river (usually, just a creek most times of the year). When we'd visit, we'd go over to the Delta Recreation building and play out back, in and across the river, without any hassle at all.

One time, one of the neighbor kids twisted his ankle really bad on the Mexican side of the border. A couple of Juarez city cops were sitting in their Jeep, came over to see what had happened, and stuck the kid in the jeep and just drove him back across the border to his house next door to Grandpa's. No hassle - no international incidents. Just a "thanks for taking care of the boy!"

Yep, those days (50's and 60's) were most definitely different than now.
    Lynx Defense

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    My grandfather had a house just east of the big Coliseum on Paisano - we were almost at the end of the block, behind us was a ball field and just south of that, the river (usually, just a creek most times of the year). When we'd visit, we'd go over to the Delta Recreation building and play out back, in and across the river, without any hassle at all.

One time, one of the neighbor kids twisted his ankle really bad on the Mexican side of the border. A couple of Juarez city cops were sitting in their Jeep, came over to see what had happened, and stuck the kid in the jeep and just drove him back across the border to his house next door to Grandpa's. No hassle - no international incidents. Just a "thanks for taking care of the boy!"

Yep, those days (50's and 60's) were most definitely different than now.

Yeah, and it really is a shame too. We use to go across to Puerto Penasco ( Rocky Point ), in Arizona, all the time. A friend has a condo right on the bay. Never had any trouble there and was never worried about your safety, now, forget it.

Those were the days !

garodrig1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Austin
    My hometown. I would go back if higher paying job opportunities were available like the central Texas area. Definitely miss the good Mexican grub, I can't find anything close to it in Austin.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Even the Tex-Mex grub in Latino-majority San Antonio pales in comparison what can be found in El Paso.

The problem with higher pay in EP will only be solved once the entitlement culture is changed to one of high-performance self sufficiency.

As long as Fort Bliss and the U.S. Government remain the principal employers, those not connected get the crumbs.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    My hometown. I would go back if higher paying job opportunities were available like the central Texas area. Definitely miss the good Mexican grub, I can't find anything close to it in Austin.

BTDT Your nostalgia would last about 6 mo. Trust me. And the Mexican food is not that good here. Flores in Oak Hill, or even Tex-Mex at Trudy's is better than most of what I have found here since I've been back. Though there are a few good places, it's not worth it. When you come back from a place like Austin, you realize how very low the standards are for everything. Nothing is done right. Everything is done half-assed, if not totally screwed up. Hospitals are scary.

Top Bottom