• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • El Pistolero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Frisco, TX
    Some might remember my first posting. I moved from CT with a license to carry but needed to get legal with TX once I gave up my residence in CT once and for all- That has happened. I recently took the CHL-100 class, paid the state fees and am getting the prints this weekend.. the following Monday is 'quals'.. I had previously gotten my NRA basic pistol cert so and have lots of range time with my firearms so I'm not worried.

What I worry about is the steps that I need to take next. I got the checklist and so far all is in order- I believe my class results and qual will be transferred to the state but this 'unknown' is killing me. What do I need to send in to the state? Anything? Everything? In CT we went to the police barracks, got our applications, notarized them, took he required NRA course, qualified, took everything back to the police barracks and scheduled prints.. then the waiting.. and waiting.

Do I need to send anything in? Is I electronic at this point (it seems like everything in TX is these days).

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Also, my class was at the new Frisco Gun Club- its too expensive for me to shoot at regularly but they give you a two visit free pass so those will definitely be used. For anyone curious.. Its a great place and new firearms are VERY well priced! Thanks.
    ARJ Defense ad

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You will send DPS your CHL 100 and the bar code page from your online app. If you didn't receive a CHL 100 for the classroom portion yet, you will receive one after you shoot.

You can mail, fax, or the preferred method, scan and email the paperwork. Follow link below

TxDPS - Regulatory Services Division Contact Form

Be sure to attach your documents at the bottom and click "upload" before sending

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    Give the TxDPS CHL website a look over. Being a resident of CT myself until this past Dec 31st (yeah, just did last year's taxes last night and got to put down a partial residence), I'm pretty sure nothing will transfer over. I don't even think the NRA Cert that we got in Connecticut can be used for the TxCHL. The CT Pistol Permit is in the safe at this point because I no longer have a CT Drivers License. And without the CT DL, the CT Pistol Permit cannot be matched up for the one way reciprocity that Gov Rick Perry signed back in 2005.

Here's the site to apply. Your instructor should be walking you through all of this for the money you are paying them.

I left CT on Dec 16th and got here on the 18th. Wife is a native of Connecticut but she is much happier here. I'm a Texas native that moved up to CT for Navy Submarine duty and stuck around for a few more years.

El Pistolero

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2013
    Frisco, TX
    That is all awesome information! Thank you folks! I'll be sure to get copies of it all to DPS.

My CT permit is also in the safe- not sure why I still have it. Rite of passage maybe.

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    You still have it because it cost 3/4 the price of a new semi-auto to get that damned thing. I freakin' hate CT Gov Dan "uh, um, uh..." Malloy. Stuttering, stammering bastard that he is.
    I think I keep it just so it can pop up in the state database that "this guy" has a gun that has 11+ round mags. The anti-gun bastards that run the state can send out the State Police to arrest me on felony charges.
    Surprise! Nobody lives there by that name anymore. Screw you. I'm from Texas.

Top Bottom