• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • R_Comstock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    Ingleside
    In this month's issue of American Rifleman on page 19 is an advertisement for "The Last Christmas for Mauser Collectors." I am very interested in owning a K98 but a company that advertises like this and offers a WWII rifle in "collector grade" for $400 makes me question the worth or authenticity. Can anybody offer up some advice? The company name is Mitchell's Mausers based in Fountain Valley, CA. http://www.mauser.org
    Target Sports

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    [url]http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Surplus_and_Used_Long_Guns.html[/URL]

Just my personal opinion, but Mitchells always seemed overpriced to me. Splurge on a C&R license and you will find diamonds all day long for two hundred. The M48 is a Yugo Mauser. Great quality and I am glad I bought three when they were 99 bucks in like new unissued condition. Empire arms frequently has some real collectables that are WWII "bring backs" without import stamps. Mausers are my favorite bolt action and also a dime a dozen as millions were made. I just gave my son an authentic Nazi marked 98 and I think I paid 225.00 for it. Try Aim. Art

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Mitchells's is consistently way over priced, IMO. Much of their advertising trys to give the impression that their rifles are WWII German production, they never come out and say it, just infer it. That is enough right there to make me buy elsewhere.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Mitchell also sands the stocks and is possibly up to some other not-so-honest stuff.

Look at the stocks in their adds. That is not how wood finished 65 years ago looks... It lacks the patina which is the mark of a true rifle.

They like to refinish the stuff they sell, which just destroys the collector value. I've also heard rumors (from a Mauser collector) that they'll re-stamp parts to match and to make them more valuable.

Avoid Mitchells.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Mitchell's are really Russian captured rifles that have been stored in the USSR for many years and were finally reworked by the Russkies and sold to those greedy Americanskis. Seriously, they are not what they are represented to be. The parts are restamped and renumbered, stocks completely refinished, bolts are polished white where they should be blued, and so forth. The accessories they sell are way, way overpriced.

If you are looking for a pretty Mauser or something to go out and shoot, they are fine but they really have no value as collector guns. Nada. Zip.

If you want something "real" those are definitely not it. Check out some of the other gun forums and search "Mitchell's Mausers" and you will find LOTS of negative comments. But as I said, if you want to just have something to shoot, they are fine. No point in paying $1200 for a correct matching Mauser and taking it out in the woods to shoot corrosive ammo.

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    One of my old buddies gave a a mint #s matching Isreali Mauser in the Nato round and it is a real sweetheart.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I have been eye-balling some of these Mausers now since I got my C&R and man there are some nice shooters out there. My only real concern is ammo in some cases.
    My only gripe is here in DFW there are really no good places to shoot rifles and most military ammo is steel cored or FMJ and not allowed at most ranges.
    Anyone out there reloading this ammo themselves and if so are the components any harder to find than any thing else?

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    I have been eye-balling some of these Mausers now since I got my C&R and man there are some nice shooters out there. My only real concern is ammo in some cases.
    My only gripe is here in DFW there are really no good places to shoot rifles and most military ammo is steel cored or FMJ and not allowed at most ranges.
    Anyone out there reloading this ammo themselves and if so are the components any harder to find than any thing else?
    You may be able to find some cheap surplus 8mm Turk ammo or the like. It has corrosive primers which you can neutralize by running a patch down the bore with a solution of water and amonia. Century used to have it for about 70 bucks for 1400 round crates, free delivery. Not sure if you can still find any.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You may be able to find some cheap surplus 8mm Turk ammo or the like. It has corrosive primers which you can neutralize by running a patch down the bore with a solution of water and amonia. Century used to have it for about 70 bucks for 1400 round crates, free delivery. Not sure if you can still find any.

Hot, soapy water works best, hot water is probably second best.

The corrosive primers use potassium chlorate and after burning you get potassium chloride... a salt. Salt + damp air = rust, plain and simple. The ammonia has nothing to do with getting rid of the corrosive aspects of the ammo, but does a nice job of loosening up any copper fouling you might have.

You can (and I have) do a clean-up with plain water, it just takes a bit more to be sure. Just remember to run some oil or something through the bore afterward to get the water out.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    I put the muzzle into a pot of very hot soapy water. Put a patch on the cleaning rod and push it back and forth. this will pump the water up and down dissolving the salt.

The heat from the water will heat the barrel and help dry it.

Follow with a clean patch and dry throughly. Oil after bore is dry.

Don't forget, the salt will be deposited any where the gases touch. Should you pierce a primer, the bolt will have to be disassembled and cleaned.

Have fun!!!

Top Bottom