• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Based on what? While it does not have the following like other martial arts, being that the nature of aikido is to avoid a direct confrontation.

A basis in reality, for one. I thought my little book review did a pretty good job of covering that. I'm not sure I can explain this to someone who is falling for the obvious cult techniques used in Aikido. Anyone who has qualms about winning a fight or, you know, actually hurting someone trying to hurt him first, will do well to stick to Aikido. That way when you get your ass kicked and lose a fight you can tell yourself, "At least I still love him."

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Lots of UFC fighters using Aikido.

Not sure if you're trolling or not, but even if you are right, comparing UFC to real fighting is a stretch. UFC prohibits all the best moves one would want to utilize in a real street fight (biting, ears, eyes, groin, etc...)

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not sure if you're trolling or not, but even if you are right, comparing UFC to real fighting is a stretch. UFC prohibits all the best moves one would want to utilize in a real street fight (biting, ears, eyes, groin, etc...)

Of course I'm trolling, lol.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    A basis in reality, for one. I thought my little book review did a pretty good job of covering that. I'm not sure I can explain this to someone who is falling for the obvious cult techniques used in Aikido. Anyone who has qualms about winning a fight or, you know, actually hurting someone trying to hurt him first, will do well to stick to Aikido. That way when you get your ass kicked and lose a fight you can tell yourself, "At least I still love him."

Like I said, it's not for everyone. For me, it's a tool in my toolbox. While I'm no expert by any means, I've trained in Aikido, Judo and MMA. All are different. Different techniques for different situations. But I agree Seagal is something else.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Like I said, it's not for everyone. For me, it's a tool in my toolbox. While I'm no expert by any means, I've trained in Aikido, Judo and MMA. All are different. Different techniques for different situations. But I agree Seagal is something else.

I've seen Seagal do demonstrations and the guy was lightning fast in his prime. I always thought it was a shame he wasted it on Aikido when he had the potential to be a legend in a more respected style. Something tells me he's the kind of guy who isn't into being challenged the way he would in other styles, though. Sparring partners who don't resist and do what he wants them to do 100% of the time seems more like his thing.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Russia is about 50 years behind America in the science of marketing sue to the fact that prior to the late 80's there was no need for it. You either lived with what was available or you went without. Failing factories could be subsidized theoretically forever so there was no need to be competitive. Without competition or consumer interest there is just no use for marketing.

Maybe Seagal is still a huge star in Russia. He's a major wash-up over here who blacklisted himself in Hollywood since nearly any real star refuses to work with him due to his attitude. It seems like the Russians still have a lot of catching up to do.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Plus he is a harcore environmentalist turd.

If you want to do aikido, I would recommend the Korean version hapkido. It actually requires striking and sparring. Aikido is a pseudo religious cult.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    Research Gene LeBell choking out SS. Having trained in Taekwondo (1st Dan), Kajukembo, Hapkido, and just got my blue belt (more time and effort than my TKD BB) in Gracie Jiu-Jitsu I would take Amerido-Te before playing the man in a skirt dancing game of Aikido. Ymmv, I just find a solid stand up striking background with a proven grappling program covers allot of bases. I'm familiar with the parish where SS is or was a reserve. He's a clown.

LOCKHART

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2014
    Lockhart, Texas
    My son in law, Tadd Griffith, is a stuntman in Hollywood. He told me that stunt
    men do not like to work with Seagal, as he sometimes really HITS them! ;)

Top Bottom