Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I found a steal deal on a Kamado Joe Classic at an ACE Hardware. $699 on clearance
    I had just priced a similar BGE and it was $1159, plus about $150 more for the heat plate, racks and ash tool
    I also found the natural lump charcoal at Lowes for $12/ bag

I guess, I'm gonna burn it a few times on low temp to season the inside a bit and maybe do some ribs this weekend.
    Lynx Defense

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    Congrats on the Komado. I have a large BGE and love it. I really don't think there is a lot of difference between the brands once you start cooking. We use ours 4 to 5 days a week. You can make nearly everything on them. We do everything from pizza to brisket. One thing I do like about the BGE is the lifetime warranty. Our fire ring cracked and BGE sent a new one. All they asked for was pictures of the broken one.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Congrats on the Komado. I have a large BGE and love it. I really don't think there is a lot of difference between the brands once you start cooking. We use ours 4 to 5 days a week. You can make nearly everything on them. We do everything from pizza to brisket. One thing I do like about the BGE is the lifetime warranty. Our fire ring cracked and BGE sent a new one. All they asked for was pictures of the broken one.
    Similar warranties
    Screenshot_20180718-185931_Chrome.jpg

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Thats a good deal. Hope you enjoy it. We use our Egg for chicken, brisket, ribs, and pork shoulder. The hardest part is learning how to get the heat up and them regulating the heat takes. It takes practice to understand how he smoker works. Make sure you burp it if the heat gets up there. I made that mistake one time! If you have a Costco membership, the have great prices for lump, usually Stubbs or Cowboy.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Well only my 2nd cook with the Kamado cooker and I managed to produce what I believe close to competition level baby backs.
    I'm an astonished that the learning curve was not too hard on me.

I think I got lucky really, but I ran these at 230-245 for 4 hours and never wrapped them at all.

The pictures do not do them justice.

I sauced at 2hrs and did a final glaze 30 min prior to taking them off
    They were spot on doneness , moist, tender and full of flavor
    I'm excited to do a brisket on this thing
    20180721_191529.jpg

20180721_191909.jpg

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Kamado Joe is more innovative than BGE. The ash system is good, divide and conquer system just works, the hinge.

You’ll be happy with BGE, or Primo, but love my Kamado Joe. I’m trying to convince my wife I need a BigJoe in addition to my Classic.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Ribs look good. They are easy on a ceramic smoker. I do a lot of pork shoulders and spatchcock chicken on mine. Brisket took me a while to master it. Now I just smoke them low and slow for 10-12 hrs, wrap them in paper when they stall, pull them when done then let them sit wrapped in a cooler for an hour. Since smoking them for a long time, I find a BBQ Guru DigitQ DX2 makes the job really easy. Just set the temp and go about your chores. That and my Smoke Wireless Gateway are my two favorite accessories for my Egg.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm testing brisket in my sous vide right now (36 hours at 155F), and will finish with a couple hours on my Joe.

I agree that a couple continuous temp probes are a must, and a instant temp probe (I have a Thermapen) are a must for those that grill much.

I haven't done much spatchcock chicken. What recipe do you like?

Top Bottom