Guns International

Karen doesn’t like what the Police are doing.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Given the way Weird Al has put the guy on a pedestal for so long, I imagine that even if he were just a regional phenomenon, everyone would still know him.

But to answer your question, I grew up in Texas and Dr. Demento was available late nights from one of the radio stations out of San Antonio. I wasn't a regular fan but I know I caught his show a few times back in the 1970s. From Wikipedia:
    His weekly show went into syndication in 1974 and was syndicated by the Westwood One Radio Network from 1978 to 1992.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    I as he nationwide?

I grew up listening to him, but thought he was just a SoCal thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same. I spent my young formative years in SoCal and my brother and I would listen to his 4 hour show on KMET every Sunday evening.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Memories of Dr. Demento.
    I as he nationwide?

I grew up listening to him, but thought he was just a SoCal thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Given the way Weird Al has put the guy on a pedestal for so long, I imagine that even if he were just a regional phenomenon, everyone would still know him.

But to answer your question, I grew up in Texas and Dr. Demento was available late nights from one of the radio stations out of San Antonio. I wasn't a regular fan but I know I caught his show a few times back in the 1970s. From Wikipedia:

Talk about a walk down memory lane! I hadn't thought about Dr. Demento in years! Back in the late 1970's and the very early 1980's we could catch Dr. Demento on KEGL 97.1, a rock station out of Dallas on the weekends. Back then, I think he was required listening if you thought you were wanted to be one of the cool kids in high school!

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Talk about a walk down memory lane! I hadn't thought about Dr. Demento in years! Back in the late 1970's and the very early 1980's we could catch Dr. Demento on KEGL 97.1, a rock station out of Dallas on the weekends. Back then, I think he was required listening if you thought you were wanted to be one of the cool kids in high school!
    Eagle 97. Kidd Kraddick was there prior to his syndication too.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Eagle 97. Kidd Kraddick was there prior to his syndication too.

Yep. One of their top DJ's for a number of years.

KEGL. The Eagle 97! Back in the 1970's and up into about the mid 1980's, it was the best rock station we could get in our area around here. Houston had some good ones too, but they were too far away and hard to receive most of the time.

Another one many of us listened to was KZEW, The Zoo 98 out of Dallas.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Another one many of us listened to was KZEW, The Zoo 98 out of Dallas.

I moved up here too late to listen to them, but I used to work in their old studio on Regal Row. There were still labels on some of the shelves and various bumper stickers on cabinets, along with a few reel-to-reel tapes of sponsor ads in a storage room that apparently used to be an editing booth.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    It was Z97 before it became the Eagle in the early 80's. The Zoo was more hard rock, and Q102 was another good rock station out of DFW then too.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    It was Z97 before it became the Eagle in the early 80's. The Zoo was more hard rock, and Q102 was another good rock station out of DFW then too.

I do remember that. They were called Z97 and then changed to Eagle 97, but I don't recall exactly when they changed. Way too many years ago! I do remember Q102, but the only time I could pick them up is when I got closer to Dallas.

Top Bottom