• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    If you have a box magazine shotgun, shells can eventually deform due to pressure.

Otherwise, keep mags loaded as long as you want. I have about 10-20 mags for each gun that are always loaded, half of them with self defense ammo, and the rest with range ammo. The rest of my ammo is kept in boxes so i can pack in more per ammo cans

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Dirt and friction of the follower in the mag are what you worry about. Modern springs will last indefinitely. If it's a concern springs are cheap.

I too have found 80 year old 1911 mags with corroded green ammo in them and they worked fine. This said I would still put new springs and followers in mags of that era. I used to buy usgi AR mags where ever I found them and put new springs and followers in them but that is more about the follower.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Mag Springs are why I will not trust my life to a Glock. I’m not a hater, I have 5 of them.

Back in the 90s I had G29 by my bed, a G23 in my office, and a G27 in my shop. All for protection, not range toys, but they had each been thoroughly tested by me, the original owner. They were bought separately, a few years apart from different dealers.

After sitting inactive for a year or two, I decided to change the ammo in the G29. When I picked up the mag it rattled with loose rounds. I could not get the Ammo out because the spring broke in half. First time that had ever happened in over 30 years of owning guns. Then I checked the other Glocks, Same Thing!

3 different guns, 3 different models with broken springs. Not only that , but the springs did not even look like any gun spring I had ever seen. They looked like bed springs. Pure junk.

After replacing the springs, I sold all of my Glocks, but being a gun addict, new ones trickled their way back into my collection over the years.

But NO more Glocks for me for personal protection.

Wow! All three mags had issues? Like the others, I’ve never had an issue with a Glock OEM mag. I have one for my G23 that has to have well over 7K rounds through it and while the spring feels weaker, never had a mis-feed or any other issue. Replacement springs are waiting in my workbench, but they are not needed yet (it’s a dedicated range magazine).

Your story just seems unbelievable to me. Not saying Glock mags (or any mags) are unbreakable, but three at the same time? Weird!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Wow! All three mags had issues? Like the others, I’ve never had an issue with a Glock OEM mag. I have one for my G23 that has to have well over 7K rounds through it and while the spring feels weaker, never had a mis-feed or any other issue. Replacement springs are waiting in my workbench, but they are not needed yet (it’s a dedicated range magazine).

Your story just seems unbelievable to me. Not saying Glock mags (or any mags) are unbreakable, but three at the same time? Weird!

I have to admit that I may not have believed it myself had I not have seen it with my own eyes.

And the thing that I didn’t mention is that none of those mags where Not loaded to max capacity. I always load my defense guns 1 round shy for single stack, and two rounds shy for double stack since they may not be handled for a year or two to change out the Ammo.

Last edited:

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    My Kahr 9mm mags, when outside the gun, and riding around in my glove box or center console will unload themselves. All the rounds work their way out. A little sponge rubber under them solves the problem.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Maybe a dumb question, but is it ok to keep my magpul pmag 30 round magazines loaded? I do keep several loaded, but I wasn’t sure if it would be ok to keep all of them loaded and store some of my ammo that way, or will it hurt the springs over time.

Still a good question to ask especially for millions of new guns owners who loaded their first mag and then forgot about it after the virus scare. Here is a reply from Brownells Firearms Support to confirm other comments here; its OK to leave them loaded.

Attachments

• two-loaded-magazines-one-caliber-rifle-other-mm-pistol-along-additional-bullets-each-two-loade...jpg
      two-loaded-magazines-one-caliber-rifle-other-mm-pistol-along-additional-bullets-each-two-loade...jpg
      191.8 KB · Views: 39

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx

It's a Glock soooo
    Jus sayin

Top Bottom