DK Firearms

Ken Burns 16.5 hour country music history documentory.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Ken Burns is probably our generation's best documentarian.

His Vietnam and Civil War series are landmark historical references.

This week his Country Music History series debut on PBS
    https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music/

Right now PBS/KLRN is airing the Ryman Auditorium pre-release music tribute and it's great.

I'm not exactly a huge Nashville country fan but I grew up with the "Texas Outlaw" country sound.
    Willie, Townes, Waylon,Merle, Kris, Guy....... THAT'S my music.

Just an FYI that we might all find an embellishment to our lives.

Last edited:

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I'm watching The Civil War right now on Netflix. About half way through the miniseries. It is fantastic.

I'm not sure how interesting country music will be. I love country music but it doesn't seem like it merits a long documentary.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ... I love country music but it doesn't seem like it merits a long documentary.....

Check the 35 minute trailer on the PBS site.

The history of music parallels the history of our nation throughout the 20th century.

Music is a reflection of our culture and is a mirror to historical and societal events.

I just watched Rocketman today with my wife, son and daughter-in-law.
    Some may object to Elton's sexual mores or recoil at his historical influence.
    So be it.

Ken Burns, in my experience, is an exhilarating educator.

A couple hours a week for the next two months?
    Icing on the cake of our lives and an education about the social nature of 20th century USA.

HKS

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I won't watch 16.5 hours of titties.
    Ain't nobody got time for that.

Agree.
    45 minutes or more and they seemingly jiggle the same.
    Isaac Newton. Titties. Gravity. Biology. Testosterone. Physics.
    All too predictable.

168 hours in a week.
    If I do not spend 10 of those 168 weekly hours learning something new my life is on a losing curve!!!!

Last edited:

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Agree.
    45 minutes or more and they seemingly jiggle the same.
    Isaac Newton. Titties. Gravity. Biology. Testosterone. Physics.
    All too predictable.

168 hours in a week.
    If I do not spend 10 of those 168 weekly hours learning something new my life is on a loosing curve!!!!

It's "losing," FYI. Spend a few of those hours on spelling, professor.

Burns turning into a political hack like most of his ilk pretty much kills anything else he has to say or produce. Screw him.

Basically nothing left without a political component. Way to go, Ken.....part of the problem.

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You guys could politicise the flight of a bumblebee for goodness sake.

It's a show about country music. Good grief.

Everything I've seen from Ken Burns has been refreshingly inspiring and educational even when the political detail gets irascible. His Vietnam series is a lustrous example of his handling of an emotionally charged and often historically turbid subject.

If what he said about Trump at the Stanford commencement was, in part, true Trump was still better than the alternative. We've pummeled this departed equine quadruped more than a few times.

Last edited:

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    You guys could politicise the flight of a bumblebee for goodness sake.

You guys? What about Burns? Was pretty much my point......every damn thing has to have a political component, everything. It's like it's expected nowadays. Just about no one can produce anything anymore without getting political and talking down, whether through their art or otherwise.

I DGAF about his latest project since he can't seem to leave the political shit in the closet where it belongs. Just nothing but another condescending elitist prick.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You guys? What about Burns? Was pretty much my point......every damn thing has to have a political component, everything. It's like it's expected nowadays. Just about no one can produce anything anymore without getting political and talking down, whether through their art or otherwise.

I DGAF about his latest project since he can't seem to leave the political shit in the closet where it belongs. Just nothing but another condescending elitist prick.
    It's the Hollweirdification of Ken Burns. Entertainers eventually think they are better then everyone else & that their opinions matter. Politics & entertainment tend to not mix well.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You guys are just weirding ME out.
    Politicizing cloud-watching is your avocation?
    Just preternatural and inexplicable unfounded opinions you have!!!

Ken Burns is an exemplary documentarian with a magnificent string of masterful accomplishments.

Where is the politicization in the extensive and detailed trailer:
    Please!
    Watch it before you ineptly opine.

Watch the segment where Itzhac Perlman and Charlie Daniels discuss whether a fiddle and violin are the same instrument.
    Political?
    You guys are pathologically divisive to a fault if you find that political.

I suppose Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson and Bob Wills were all liberals of their time!!!
    Merle Haggard was one of the greatest poets of the 20th century.

Here is a current country legend.

Liberal or liberating?

HKS
    Humble and kind, I pray.

Last edited:

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    You guys are just weirding ME out.
    Politicizing cloud-watching is your avocation?
    Just preternatural and inexplicable unfounded opinions you have!!!

Ken Burns is an exemplary documentarian with a magnificent string of masterful accomplishments.

Where is the politicization in the extensive and detailed trailer:
    Please!
    Watch it before you ineptly opine.

Watch the segment where Itzhac Perlman and Charlie Daniels discuss whether a fiddle and violin are the same instrument.
    Political?
    You guys are pathologically divisive to a fault if you find that political.

I suppose Merle Haggard and Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson and Bob Wills were all liberals of their time!!!
    Merle Haggard was one of the greatest poets of the 20th century.

Here is a current country legend.

Liberal or liberating?

HKS
    Humble and kind, I pray.

Are you purposely obtuse (my guess) or just fucking ignorant? No one said his documentary was in any way political. I'm sure it's, in and of itself, the opposite and pretty damn good. What we're saying is he's the latest in a long line of actor/singer/writer/hollywood/journalist/pick one elitists who runs his fucking mouth about political shit, demonizing the president, conservatives, whatever, and those who support him. And because of it, some of us have no use for him. My life will be fine without ever seeing a Ken Burns production again, trust me. Like I said, everything has to have a political component nowadays. He got political and he lost me.....forever. Screw him.

Ken Burns makes a great doc.....Natalie Maines and Barbara Streisand can sing.....Jane Fonda can act....well, maybe not. But regardless, it doesn't mean anyone HAS to intake and appreciate their talents after being insulted by some ignorant condescending elitist.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom