• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    A couple of years ago, I decided to be pro-active and updated my SHTF gear. I built racks to store my gear and needed a helmet to go with it.

I missed out on buying a Kevlar helmet from one of our members and just couldn't find one that I could afford. Finally, I ordered an East German steel pot helmet. It's a cool looking steel pot and it wasn't very expensive. SO....the East German helmet rounded out my gear rack.

A guy who just got out of the Marine Corps sold me a well used but clean and serviceable Kevlar ACH/MICH helmet so I replaced the German helmet on my gear rack. At the time I bought it, he said that one guy in his unit was saved TWICE from enemy fire by a helmet just like mine.

Today, with the terrible news about the killings at Orlando, there was a real bright spot! One of the officers was hit in the front of his Kevlar helmet and they showed the helmet on TV. The hit was directly in the front about forehead level. The slug was lodged in the helmet and there was no penetration! The thick pads inside of the helmet likely dissipated the blunt force trauma.

I'm totally impressed with the ACH helmet and wondered if any of our members had seen similar "saves".

Flash
    Lynx Defense

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Yep. They are impressive. What is more impressive than the helmet itself is the padding system that replace the old K pot suspension system. That is probably done more to save lives and reduce head trauma then anything else

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The ACH (Advanced Combat Helmet) may be one of the most effective but unsung protective devices available to our service men and women. I always considered the old steel pot as mostly a "Bump Cap" used like construction workers wear. The ACH Kevlar is a giant leap from the steel pot and I'd just like to learn more about them.

Anyone know what the "MICH" designation means?

Flash

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The ACH (Advanced Combat Helmet) may be one of the most effective but unsung protective devices available to our service men and women. I always considered the old steel pot as mostly a "Bump Cap" used like construction workers wear. The ACH Kevlar is a giant leap from the steel pot and I'd just like to learn more about them.

Anyone know what the "MICH" designation means?

Flash
    Modular Integrated Communications Helmet

You might want to look @ ungrading the suspension system.
    http://www.oregonaero.com/helmet-upgrades/ballistic-helmet-upgrades-overview

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That site shows a picture of their suspension system and it appears identical to what I have on my helmet. On the right side of the picture, are four straps that bolt onto the helmet and are used to attach a cloth cover. Those straps are missing so the camo cloth cover that I bought recently is useless. Finding just those 4 straps is not working well and I hate to buy the whole suspension set just to get them.

Alex said that his USMC unit didn't use cloth covers on their helmets. An order was issued each week and the troops were instructed to repaint their helmets. The last coat before I bought it, was black, brown & gray with a contrasting pattern painted on top sprayed through a net laundry bag to create a pattern.

I was pretty lucky. The helmet fits me perfectly and it's very comfortable.

Flash

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Wear it for 14 days in the summer day and night and let me know how it feels period heck, try that with a pasgt, the old Kpot

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wear it for 14 days in the summer day and night and let me know how it feels period heck, try that with a pasgt, the old Kpot

Pretty sure anybody who had the pleasure of wearing those has a permanent ring indented on the top of their head. Seems like I can still feel mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom