• ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    [h=2]Kidd 10/22 build: need direction[/h]
    I am planning on building a 10/22 on a Kidd receiver.

I dont know if i should get:

Single or two stage trigger? I dont want this to be strictly a target or range gun. Whats a practical safe weight for a trigger?
    Heavy barrel? Fluted barrel?
    Stock? I think i like those nice Hogue ones.​
    Texas SOT

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)

was gonna make a smartass remark about taptalk screwing you up because I saw this thread, and your benchmade thread were both posted twice. Then I redacted so it wouldn't go off topic right away (plus I saw they were intentional)

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rifles/52437-kidd-10-22-build-need-direction.html

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/gear-accessories/52434-benchmade-edc.html
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/knives-tactical-gear-survival/52449-benchmade-edc.html

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Two-stage if you plan on more benchrest than field time. 8oz/8oz pull weight is good for bench. You can make their two-stage more field friendly if you opt for slightly heavier second stage weight. I have their 1.5lb single stage for my squirrel gun and it works well.

For bench I'd opt for their 20" match grade non-fluted. For field you might want to look at their new ultralightweight barrel in 16.5 inches... make sure to get them threaded with a cap. Check out some of the posts I have on the numerous KIDDs in my collection to get some ideas...

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I had a Magnum Research graphite (?) barrel. It was actually hard to hold still it was so light.

I don't have that issue since I have a supressor on my squirrel gun. The extra muzzle weight keeps it very stable. Look into their 16.5 or 18 inch non-fluted match if you want a bit more weight. The fluted ones are beautiful but you give up slight bit of accuracy (but I mean SLIGHT)...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    For your barrel, you might consider the KIDD standard Light Weight barrel. About 12 oz more weight in the 18" length compared to the UL, and it's also available in 16" at 30 OZ which is just 10 oz more than the UL 18". In theory you will probably get a tad more accuracy with the Light weight vs the Ultra Light weight, although I have no test data to confirm that. Just a thought.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I'm not here to tell you who you are.

You say to me you want to go shopping, you want to buy a Ruger 10\22, but you don't know what kind. You leave that hanging in the air, like I'm going to fill in the blank, that to me is like asking me who you are, and I don't know who you are, I don't want to know. It's taken me my whole life to find out who I am, and I'm tired now, you hear what I'm saying?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    You will have to pick a direction and just go with it. One 10/22 is simply not enough ! If you want a benchgun, build out a heavy barreled rifle with a high end stock and scope. If you want a "field" gun, put on a lightweight barrel and a Hogue or axiom stock. I currently have 5 10/22s in different configs. My heavy bbls (18") are my bench rifles, my 16" is for walking round the ranch, and my open sighted rifles 22" and 16" are for speed targets(moving) or plinkin'. Overall, I get the most versatile use out of my 16" light weight rifle with the axiom stock and a 3-9x scope. However, it doesn't hold a candle to my bench rifles in terms of accuracy. It's too light and needs a trigger under 2.5 lbs to compete with those.

As far a trigger pull goes... a stock trigger worked to less than 2 1/4 lbs doubles off pretty easily. At or under 2 lbs makes for a great target gun but pushes into the danger zone if a rifle is being handled while maneuvering about . 3lbs is a nice "medium" for bench or field use. If we get a chance to do a BOTW day, I will bring out 3 or 4 of them for you to compare. They all have their own merits.

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    I'm not here to tell you who you are.

You say to me you want to go shopping, you want to buy a Ruger 10\22, but you don't know what kind. You leave that hanging in the air, like I'm going to fill in the blank, that to me is like asking me who you are, and I don't know who you are, I don't want to know. It's taken me my whole life to find out who I am, and I'm tired now, you hear what I'm saying?

Brain cloud? :shades:

I think a 10/22 is going to be my next project so I am paying close attention to threads like this to get some ideas. There are just so many options out there for this platform that, especially when it is your first, it is hard to know where to start.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Texmex, that lightweight build is what im planning on doing.

I had a Magnum Research graphite barrel that was so light that in the wind i couldnt hold it still. Would the Kidd lightweight barrel be heavier than that?

Also that 2.5-3# trigger sounds about right too.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Update:

Ordered a Hogue Overmolded stock tonight after much debate. $61 on Optics Planet with free shipping

Also ordered the charging handle mechanism from Kidd and a buffer from Volquartsen.

Yes, I'm buying the cheaper parts first.

Next stop(s):

Bolt

Trigger

Barrel

Scope

Last edited:
    Top Bottom