• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Teach a kid how to properly hold a rifle and shoot, and kick will never be a problem. Gotta learn sometime, or the kid will sadly grow up to be someone who shoots a .243.
    Hurley's Gold

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Had a guy tell me my .243 wasn't enough gun before. The next evening I was helping him locate a deer that had run after being hit by his .270.

Much better to become proficient and hit where you need to than to depend on a larger cartridge to compensate.

Must be an awful lot of .243 hunters who aren't proficient.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    243 all the way for a youngster. I've shot many deer with a 243 and never had to chase a single one. I credit shot placement and the right bullet for the job. I used the Hornady 100gr BTSP Interlock bullets. Now days there good choices in the 90gr range.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    I have been shooting high power centerfire rifles for a bit over 55 years now, having starter with a Win 70 Featherweight in 30-06. I did learn to manage the recoil, and to reload to mitigate recoil somewhat. I would not recommend the .270, unless you get a heavy rifle. My vote would be to go to the .243 and saying that I have never shot one, having decided to pass on that case size because I got started with the longer 30-06 case.

The one that has my true vote now is the 6.5 Grendel, which is basically a 7.62x39(aka AK 47) case blown out and necked down. I have formed hundreds of cases like this before they were readily available. It's not a higher velocity cartridge, but will throw a bigger heavier bullet than the .243, and with the correct bullet will be good for a longer range, with less recoil. It was originally designed to function through an AR 15 magazine and action, but recently some bolt actions have been hitting the market, CZ, Howa, and finally Ruger. I got a CZ because it's more traditional blue steel and walnut than the other two and could not be happier, I can shoot it all day and not have a sore shoulder, and it's light and easy to carry.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    .243, or if you could find a 6mm. Hornaday Light Magnums put the 6mm in the .270 range.

danmccurley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    plano
    I've had a 243 for many years, and have never failed to take what I shot at with it. My cousin has hunted since he was 13 (in his 60's now) with a 243, and never failed to get what he was after. It's a great caliber and fun to shoot. I also shoot larger calibers, but the 243 is a great round to hunt with.

Good luck on your choice.

redbaron8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2014
    DFW
    My older Son and I have been discussing a "first rifle" for his 14 yo Son, my Grandson.

Years ago, hunting deer & hogs mostly in South or Central Texas; I standardized boys & I to Remington Mod 7's in .243. We have been very happy with these little, very handy bolt guns.

Son has decided to start my Grandson on a Remington Mod 700 in .270 Win. No one else in our group has a .270. We all use .243 or .308. Son based this on advice of a couple "armchair experts".

What do you-all feel is the best for this?

Or, more honestly, help me push the .243 Win. !

leVieux[/QUOTE

I have been hunting with a Husqvarna in 270 since 1969. Still use it to this day. Very mild cartridge for the average shooter, and can be used for every game animal in North America inside of 300 yards. I do consider it a bit light for Elk, although I have killed 2 bulls with mine. Both were less than 100 yards, used 150 grain bullets,had very good bullet placement. Get the boy a man's rifle and be done with it:cowboy::cowboy:

TexasGunAdmirer

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2013
    Just West of Fort Worth
    I would go with a .243

But...

I recently inherited a very nice older Remington 700 in .270. I wished it was a .243 at the time. I decided to load reduced recoil .270 ammo to .243 recoil and power levels with H4895 and 120gr Hornady .277 bullets. It is very nice to shoot. If I need a bit more power I can use full power .270 ammo.

Hornady and others make factory reduced recoil ammo. My goal was to load ammo that matched Hornady Custom Lite at a reduced cost for a friend and me.

So, if you come across a nice .270 at a good price, it might be worth getting it and loading or buying reduced recoil ammo.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I would go with a .243

But...

I recently inherited a very nice older Remington 700 in .270. I wished it was a .243 at the time. I decided to load reduced recoil .270 ammo to .243 recoil and power levels with H4895 and 120gr Hornady .277 bullets. It is very nice to shoot. If I need a bit more power I can use full power .270 ammo.

Hornady and others make factory reduced recoil ammo. My goal was to load ammo that matched Hornady Custom Lite at a reduced cost for a friend and me.

So, if you come across a nice .270 at a good price, it might be worth getting it and loading or buying reduced recoil ammo.
    That's OK if the OP reloads but he's better off buying a rifle that uses a common and readily available ammo. Something that could be found at Walmart or small gun shop. Something that could be bought at the spur of the moment just before a hunting trip. Places where Hornady Custom Lites might not be available.

If the OP or the child's father reloads it's another story.

The same could be said of a couple other cartridges mentioned.

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    .243 and don't look back. First time I ever shot a .270 I was 27 years old and I was VERY surprised by it's recoil. I shot my buddies .243 and it was comfortable to shoot. It's his 14 year old boy's gun. If I was to get my boy a gun right now, it would be Savage's new 110 Predator. But it's not coming out till February.

ervdrvr1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Harker Heights
    Of your 2 choices, I'll echo the .243. Of course, my 1st center fire rifle was a Win model 94 in .30WCF. It was also all 3 of my son's first rifle. Still got it, still hunt with it every year...Love the Hornady Leverevolution rounds...

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I agree with .243 for first rifle. I've dropped many a deer where they stand with one. It's as ll about shot placement. It's a great south Texas deer round.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom