• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    I chose a 7mm-08 for my daughter.

I called Nosler and Hodgdon, and came up with a low recoil load that shot well. She has shot it for a few years, and it has helped her build confidence in shooting a centerfire. Now we’re working ona full power load, using a Berger 140.

Even at full power, it is a very mild recoil round, and a super light weight rifle. It’s maybe 7-½ lbs.

The 243 is the same cartridge, just 1mm narrower in diameter. I load that for my buddy’s daughter. She loves it, and shoots it really well.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau
    Military Camp

45ACP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I would go with the .243 between those to choices, but I'll 2nd someone else's recommendation for a 6.8mm AR as another good option.

I have one and love it, shot 2 deer and a pig this last season with it. Used 120gr Hornady SST ammo and all 3 animals died quick. Recoil is pretty much non existent.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I'm going to be the contrarian here.....Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62x39.

It has good hunting ammo available, but there's enough cheap ammo to encourage him to shoot it more than a few times during hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kosh75287

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Nemo
    If I could find a .257 Roberts in good shape, I might try for THAT. A little more "oomph" than a .243, but not as much recoil as a 7mm-08. For the .257, though, one would need to be a reloader. A .260 Remington bolt action might also be an option.

Top Bottom