Kimber Assist - Covert or Carry

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by streakpi, Dec 21, 2009.

1. streakpi

streakpi Active Member

May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Looking to purchase my first Kimber in JAN10. Got about a $1500 limit.

I've read plenty of reviews on Kimber .45s but would love some advice (even if you tell me to buy another model...I will still take honest advice) on which model to purchase.

I'm looking at a 4" model which I can carry concealed. Although not the only purpose- the 4" barrel is a must. Also needed are Crimson grips.

I'm looking at the Pro Covert II (Crimson) and the Crimson Carry II - both in 4".

The only drawback I can see in the Covert in the lanyard loop jutting from the bottom of the weapon. Although a great idea for my 92F on duty- def not something I need as a civilian or in my home.

Again, I appreciate your help and advice. Still don't know where to purchase as well...can't find an instock Pro Covert II online!

Thanks, AB:patriot:

2. 1rightguy

1rightguy Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Just yesterday I bought a Crimson Ultra Carry II at the Pasadena Gun Show. I haven't even had a chance to fire it yet but I'm more than happy with my purchase. It was $1006.00 out the door so well under your budget. I had a full size Crimson Custom but traded it for an AR. Spend a little on a quality carry holster and I'm sure you'll love yours as well.

3. streakpi

streakpi Active Member

May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC

4. Ishtacka

Ishtacka Member

Apr 23, 2008
    Dickinson, Tx
    My wife just picked up a Crimson Carry. I would say the only thing that I might have had reservations on it was the sights. They are only black on black. She has only shot pistols with night sights and white dots. So I'm going to paint the front post for her and let her train with that.

Great pistol and a good buy.

Ish

5. 1rightguy

1rightguy Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    I actually am thinking I'll remove the sights altogether and use the laser exclusively. This would shave about a quarter inch of height and two little things to snag when drawing. Any thoughts?

6. TXchoctaw

TXchoctaw Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    What happens when the batteries die at the worst possible time?

7. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    1rightguy;

I am going to give you two points./

1. If your cirrent duty weapon is a 92, I would strongly discourage from carrying a 1911 style pistol off duty. The operation of each is exactly opposite of the other. As a professional trainer, I see this as a bad idea.

2. If you must igore my 1st advice, then I do not suggest you remove the sights. There will be times the LASER will not be visible, or it will fail.

That said, I have tried the crimson grip Kimbers. I find that when indexing on target with my finger off of the trigger my index finger blocks the LASER, making it useless.

I have a Warrior with the lanyard ring, and it bothers me not.

8. 1rightguy

1rightguy Active Member

Mar 25, 2009
    The last two posts are the reason these forums are great. I guess I knew my idea was a bad one and I just needed to hear it. Thanks.

9. streakpi

streakpi Active Member

May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I'm just happy that I don't "carry" a weapon until I deploy...then it is a 92F. SOOOO, I won't have issues between 1911 or 92F (in my opinion).

I've already started focus more on a Xd .45 compact than either of the Kimbers...but I will listen and read posts and chat with people before making the purchase. I want to enjoy my guns before the next deployment...hahaha!

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I think an XD is a better choice for someone who must carry a 92. It won't matter if you flick your thumb up on the XD as you prepare to fire, but it will make a 1911 not fire.

And if you practice with the 1911 while home, you have deprogrammed yourself to go thumb up, and have taught yourself to put that Beretta on safe as you prepare to fire. :mad0079: