Lynx Defense

Kimber break-in period?!? What's the deal??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lastchance1701d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Yeah,

I'm not sure what the deal is. I know its not my grip because my fullsize Colt Govt Model doesn't have this problem. In fact, I haven't had one FTF (knock on wood) with it yet. I'm hoping its just a matter of the break in period. I cleaned and lubricated per the manuals specs before I fired it. And, although I'm sure its not my grip I will check on the next range visit. I just hope this doesn't become a issue where I become closely acquainted with Kimber customer serice. Thanks for everyone's replies. Especially the member that suggested the new recoil springs.I will definitley be looking into that. Thanks to Navyguy as well for the advice.
    Texas SOT

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Working at a gun range, we see lots and lots of Kimbers. From what I have seen, they are not worth the money.

Sorry for the OPs issues, but none of them surprise me.

lastchance1701d

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Well, I hope that I can get it working more reliably. I am kind of kicking myself for getting the Kimber though. I have always been of the opinion that Kimbers are just a fancy name brand, but their quality doesn't reflect the hype. But, once I got in the gun shop and they didn't have the SA Loaded Champ I was looking for I found myself mesmerized by how pretty the Kimber was and how comfortable it was in my hand. Now I can't get the thing to work right. Hopefully, it will perform better on my next range visit. If not (and I run into a Springer Loaded Champ) I can always sell the Kimber and buy an SA. I'm sure I could get a decent price for a barely used Kimber (although I know I will take some sort of a hit). Either way it will work out...right??

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Well, I hope that I can get it working more reliably. I am kind of kicking myself for getting the Kimber though. I have always been of the opinion that Kimbers are just a fancy name brand, but their quality doesn't reflect the hype. But, once I got in the gun shop and they didn't have the SA Loaded Champ I was looking for I found myself mesmerized by how pretty the Kimber was and how comfortable it was in my hand. Now I can't get the thing to work right. Hopefully, it will perform better on my next range visit. If not (and I run into a Springer Loaded Champ) I can always sell the Kimber and buy an SA. I'm sure I could get a decent price for a barely used Kimber (although I know I will take some sort of a hit). Either way it will work out...right??

I won't defend the fact that some new Kimber's do have problems but they stand behind them 110%. That said, you're being a Pro, there are specific things that can eliminate many of not most problems with a gun that does have issues, and the right recoil spring is #1. They're cheap at $7.89 is I recall, Wolff ships fast and I'd be ordering a few tonight, and change it out before the next range visit. It's not a guarantee, but it's likely going to eliminate the problem. That said, 1 of mine has the XP spring, and one does not. Both shoot like crazy. The spring makes a nice difference, even in a gun that shoots fine.

As far as break in, some need a pretty good break in, most just shoot. Keep in mind Kimber produces and sells more 1911's than anyone else. In the range of 50k a year. There's a reason dealers are having a hard time getting them in now and new orders are back ordered instantly.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    and pete, the hype is just that, people don't think colt when they hear the term 1911, they picture kimber,

I was just taking a good-natured jab. I own two Kimber 1911's and don't have a bad word to say about either of them. They both perform flawlessly with everything I have fed them from really crap ball ammo to +P tactical hp from day one. I have had the same good fortune with my Colt and Springfield 1911's.

FWIW, with reference to ZX9RCAM's Kimber problems, I am one of the guys he's talking about not being able to replicate those problems with his gun. However, I did forget to tell him that when I shot his Kimber (he wasn't there to witness), I had to hold it gangsta-style to make it perform.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I was just taking a good-natured jab. I own two Kimber 1911's and don't have a bad word to say about either of them. They both perform flawlessly with everything I have fed them from really crap ball ammo to +P tactical hp from day one. I have had the same good fortune with my Colt and Springfield 1911's.

FWIW, with reference to ZX9RCAM's Kimber problems, I am one of the guys he's talking about not being able to replicate those problems with his gun. However, I did forget to tell him that when I shot his Kimber (he wasn't there to witness), I had to hold it gangsta-style to make it perform.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Now you tell me.........

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    LOL.... now he just needs the gangsta' night sights on the side...!!!

...just as some don't like para ordnance pistols for whatever reason

After handling my P14.45 for the first time in years, to take pics of it for my ad, I am this || close to pulling it off the market. I have a feeling that I will regret selling it, even if I never shoot it ever again.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I dont know the real reason other than the springs they put in the 4" guns. My Ultra's and Customs have never had problems, but almost all of the Pro's have. 1911.com has an entire section of threads on Kimbers. I learned that through the first 2-300 rounds you need to have the gun dripping wet with oil. I did it with mine for about 100 rounds and it has performed perfectly since. JMHO

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I bought a Kimber TLE II about a year ago and even though I just passed the 500rd break in...I never expereinced a jam of any sort.

When I first bought it and was running the first 100rd box of WWB through it, I stopped after 2-3 magazines and thought "hmmm...I wonder what would happen if I did run a mag of hollowpoints through the pistol?"

So yes, 14-21 rounds into its "break in period" right out of the box, I put 7 Hydra-Shoks in the mag and let her go. Guess what - they all ran through without a hiccup! I did it again and still got 7 "bangs" and no hangups. I then went back (because this could get expensive0 and ran the rest of the 100rd WWB fmjs through the TLE and they also ran 100%.

I too was worried that the "tightness" of this Kimber TLE versus my Colts and Springer, would cause problems but not one jam or bobble at all.

So you all will have a very hard time convincing me that Kimbers are junk or unreliable. That has not been my experience. The TLE ran hollowpoints right out of the box. Wouldn't have beleived it, if I had not done it myself.

- brickboy240

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Things that I have noticed about Kimber after handling / shooting probably about 250 of them in the past year.

1. Some are built way too tight. They are not going to run in the hands of someone that does not properly grip the gun, or that does not clean and lube the thing on top of that.

2. The barrel to frame interface at the throat is sometimes too long. That is a source of jams.

3. The barrel throat and/or frame ramp are sometimes rough and sharp. This is a rarer occurrence but could explain a random failure to feed.

4. One in about 3 Kimbers has a good slick frame fit, good crisp trigger, and is a good pistol. The others aren't junk, just someone as picky as me will notice these things.

5. Our Kimber Custom II rental gun has probably 250,000 rounds through it with springs that are easily 50,000 rounds too old, and it eats all day, every day, with every newbie shooter on earth shooting the thing. The only thing we've had trouble with is magazines, until we put a Wilson 47D in it.

I've owned a Kimber Custom II and it wasn't that bad. It required some rounds down range to really function 100% but honestly just about any 1911 is going to get better as you shoot it in, even ones that run out of the box. Everything gets smoothed out, the trigger gets better, etc.

I've seen my fair share of Springfield and Colts have trouble on the range with all kinds of ammo as well.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I shot three different Kimbers owned by totally different people before I bought my TLE. All shot 100% and were the real reason why I went with a Kimber to add to my 2 Colts and Springfield 1911s.

Coming from the days when all you had was Colt and Auto Ordinanace to choose from and the Colt always needed work to feed HPs smoothly...man...I'd say the modern Kimbers have come a long way.

If you peruse the 1911 forums, there are scads of negative posts about Kimbers as well as those that bought 3500 dollar Les Baers and Wilsons that are jamming. You could get a bad 1911 with any maker. But if you ask me, the field we have to choose from today and the problems encounter today are alot better than it used to be.

Kimbers are probably no better or worse than any other mid-level 1911 maker in its class. I can hnestly say that I have had more work done on my Colts than this Kimber TLE will probably ever have to see done.

- brickboy240

Gungle George

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have a Kimber Gold Match and it doesn't like 185 gr JHP for some reason. But then again I only have about 300 rounds through it. I was unaware of the 500 round break-in period.

Cheers,

Gungle George

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I have a Kimber Gold Match and it doesn't like 185 gr JHP for some reason. But then again I only have about 300 rounds through it. I was unaware of the 500 round break-in period.

Cheers,

Gungle George

Why would you want to shoot a smaller round from it anyway? A short barrel 1911 might do better with a smaller higher velocity round, but a full size, no need.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I bought a new Kimber Light Weight Commander last summer. Wouldn't fire a whole magazine with out two or three rounds failing to go into battery. I sent it back to Kimber and they polished the chamber and now it works just fine. This seems to be a major problem with new Kimbers.
    Poor, poor Quality Control.

Is that kind of like a Ford Corvette?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Any semi-auto requires a break in. I don't care if it is a 1911, Walther, Barretta, or whatever. You have moving parts that need to seat. The best way to do that is firing the pistol. However, an alternate way is to load magazines with snap caps and hand cycle and dry fire. This is not the same but it may give you some hints as to issues.

The most common problem is with mag springs. Most manufacturers include cheap mags. Replace the springs with Wolf extra power springs in the mag and magically most mags work properly.

I also hand cycle the slide without the barrel in it over 200 times, well oiled of course just to smooth out the slide rail fit. I also check the disconnector rail on the 1911s for burs from the engraved serial number on the bottom (if there is one). 800 grit wet dry sandpaper will smooth that out or a fine india stone.

Another issue could be extractor tension. Too little and the round is not held properly which can affect feeding and extracting. Too much and it may not feed.

I will not carry a gun that has not had 500 rounds without a malfunction through it.

Learn the 1911 thoroughly. Learn how to detail strip it, maintain it, adjust extractors, and how and what all the parts are supposed to do. Not hard.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    I bought my first Kimber last week. It's a Custom Crimson Carry II and it feels great. I have not fired it yet, but I am a little disapointed that the plastic box it come's with is defective and won't close right. The hinges are a bad design and for a grand you would think they would get that right. Hopefully it fires so well I forget about the box.

Top Bottom