Kimber break-in period?!? What's the deal??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I bought my first Kimber last week. It's a Custom Crimson Carry II and it feels great. I have not fired it yet, but I am a little disapointed that the plastic box it come's with is defective and won't close right. The hinges are a bad design and for a grand you would think they would get that right. Hopefully it fires so well I forget about the box.

That's one of the best yet.

It's a joke right?

Whether you paid a grand for a pistol, or $300, or $7400, surely you don't plan on storing it in a foam lined plastic box?

BTW, I'm sure Kimber would send you a new one if it's that important. Mine all work fine...stacked in the closet empty.
    Gun Zone Deals

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    While we are bashing Kimber, WTF is up with those shitty magazines?

Like all other manufactures, Kimber doesn't make mag's, they source them from ACT, Metalform etc. Most people have good luck with them but like many <$15 magazines, the springs can be a little weak. I've got a bag of new springs from Wolff and have replaced the springs in just about all the mags I have except the Tripp's or mags I have Tripp kits in. The Kimber mags with skirted followers work perfectly with new springs.

Kimber sent me 2 new standard mags last year and I replaced the springs not long after I got them. 2 of my carry mags are the tubes from Kimber with Tripp kits in them.

It's always funny when people complain about the inexpensive mag's that comes with their guns. Most people are going to buy additional mags anyway, and ones that will be as reliable as possible which puts you in to the expensive range of $30. I think $30 isn't bad to upgrade to a better mag.

When I buy a gun, I buy a gun. All the extra crap that comes with it is just extra crap. If it works, great. How about those kits that come with some of the plastic guns for example. People can't give that crap away because it's crap.

As an aside, Kimber has no problem sending a customer a new mag if the one that came with the gun has a problem. Most complaints can be resolved quickly just buy calling them and explaining the issue.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Originally Posted by 1rightguy
    I bought my first Kimber last week. It's a Custom Crimson Carry II and it feels great. I have not fired it yet, but I am a little disapointed that the plastic box it come's with is defective and won't close right. The hinges are a bad design and for a grand you would think they would get that right. Hopefully it fires so well I forget about the box.
    That's one of the best yet.

It's a joke right?

Whether you paid a grand for a pistol, or $300, or $7400, surely you don't plan on storing it in a foam lined plastic box?

BTW, I'm sure Kimber would send you a new one if it's that important. Mine all work fine...stacked in the closet empty.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I will not carry a gun that has not had 500 rounds without a malfunction through it.

Could not agree more. Some guns will require more break in than others. Top end 1911's will require more. Regular ol' semi auto, at least quality ones.... Sig, HK, Glock pretty much run out of the box, but I agree, no matter the gun I put 500 or so rounds of all kinds of ammo through it before it comes along, or sleeps with me. I have NEVER had a malfuction in any of my Sigs or HK's. A few with my SA 1911 during break in, but it's gone now or over 1000 rounds with no issue.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I find the higher end 1911s don't require a break-in because they are hand fitted and generally are glass smooth in the action. Neither of my STI's required a break-in, but my Kimber did.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    I followed Kimber's break-in advice with my Ultra Carry II, tho it has been flawless out of the box, except for a hangup or two with Cor-Bon DPX, so I don't use that ... perfect feeding with PowR'Ball, Golden Saber, Hornady, Federal, etc ... I carry it during cool weather, loaded with Golden Sabers, and love shooting it, it's more accurate than my 4-inch Springer ...

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The only time my Kimber ever jammed was when I was shooting someone's reloads that where lead semi wadcutters.My colt wouldn't feed some of the Corbon hollowpoints but Winchester hollowpoints feed fine.

txgolfer45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Dallas
    I have a new to me Kimber Pro Raptor II. Ordered 4 extra springs from Wolfe. Not sure how many rounds have gone through it with previous owner. So, I'm replacing the spring to begin the round count.

Top Bottom