45 9 (Large).jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The name sounds familiar but I can't think of why. Interesting gun though.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reinz

Well-Known
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Hawes Western Marshal was popular in the 70’s. I believe That they were made my JP Sauer and Son. My dad had really nice ones; very well built with deep dark bluing.

The one in the OP is nothing representative of what I have seen. Maybe that one is an economy model. Sure looks rode hard and put up wet too.

I’ve owned a few over years and sold them for dumbass reason. I still have one or two of their chrome derringers.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    A quick google turns up: " The Hawes Western Marshal was a foreign made copy of the Colt model of 1873 "Single Action Army" revolver. ... Great Western Arms. Hawes Firearms Inc. was based out of Los Angeles, but the guns were made in the West German city of Eckenforde by J.P. Sauer & Sohn during the late 1960's & throughout the 70's " I think that's wikipedia that responds.

I seem to recall a friend having one of those years ago. He broke the grips trying to hammer in a fence steeple (because he'd seen it done in cowboy movies).

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Bears a striking resemblance to the Colt Single Action pistols. I have heard of the name Hawes over the years on various gun forums, but don't know a lot about them. Seems like a neat pistol and hopefully you can get it back to shooting order soon.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I remember when they were selling. Late 70’s/early 80’s.
    They were competing against Colt for the SAA market. They were roughly half the price of a Colt.
    One of my shooting buds had one. Nickeled .357. It worked okay. Not as quality as a Colt but a serviceable gun.
    One thing that puzzles about German made clone guns is they don’t seem to build them for real world use. Sure they work but not for extensive use. Maybe because they shoot so little in Europe. Heck, over there 20rds is a range trip. Here that is one magazine. LoL

mountainbull

Dec 23, 2020
    montana
    I just bought a Hawes 22, the hand spring and trigger spring was broke, found new parts on numrch and it works great.
    The frame was the same for the 22 thru 45 cal, mine is used but good shape and tight action

Polkwright

Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Somewhat similar to the Italian clones of today. They were considered more of an economy revolver but remember what the competition was at the time. The Colts and Rugers from that time period were some pretty great guns. Ruger switched to the transfer bar in that period and there were plenty of 3-screws floating around used.

I had a friend with one of those in .22. It was huge, as it was a six shot but full size! It also shot a foot high and a foot to the left at 25 yards.

They made them in everything from .22 to .44 Magnum, some even had adjustable sights. I think they made the Herters .401 PowerMag too IIRC.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Bears a striking resemblance to the Colt Single Action pistols. I have heard of the name Hawes over the years on various gun forums, but don't know a lot about them. Seems like a neat pistol and hopefully you can get it back to shooting order soon.
    I have the ejector rod and spring so I just need the housing and some grips. The bore and cylinders are dirty and there is also surface rust. After a good cleaning, if the bore looks OK, I'll get the needed parts. The cylinder locks up tight but the trigger is pretty stiff.

Andyd

Mar 11, 2018
    Hawes was an importer and marketed Sauer & Sohn revolvers, mostly single action revolvers in the lower price segment. S&S also manufactured some well made double action revolvers until they teamed up with SIG Neuhausen and became SIG Sauer. They sent the production equipment to Italy afterwards.

Euroarms made them and marketed them for a few years.

http://www.euroarms.net/ITEMS/B/BA-S&S/BA214.htm

Last edited:

Andyd

Mar 11, 2018
    Sure they work but not for extensive use. Maybe because they shoot so little in Europe. Heck, over there 20rds is a range trip. Here that is one magazine. LoL

???
    Those S/A were mostly made for export. Germany has a gun club in the smallest town and the tradition of German gun clubs was accepted by the UNESCO as a cultural inheritance.

In those clubs there are coaches that train shooters and teach the basics and prepare the better ones for matches. I was one of those coaches and have successfully participated in military & police and civilian matches in Germany and the U.S. and always found that, while Germany has fewer shooters, their level of competence was considerably higher.
    Heck, at my range here, I barely see anybody shooting a handgun at 25 yards besides me and most do worse at 5 yards than I do at 25.
    The guns made in Germany for local "consumption", like the SIG Sauer line, HK, Korth, Walther et al are definitely good guns.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 23, 2014
    I had a Hy Hunter .357 and a .22LR that my son now has. I believe they changed th Hawes at some point. Decent enough pistols to a SA Army clone.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom