• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    They've been open about a month. Same guy owns this as owns Dingowity Meats and Crazy Carl's Burger Truck.

South BBQ and Kitchen
    2011 Mission Rd, San Antonio, TX 78214

imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_0.jpg
    imagejpeg_1.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Looks pretty good! Blacks bbq just opened up in New Braunfels too, and they're right in between Cooper's and Rudy's bbq.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Looking at the pic and the menu board:

Brisket is dry and it looks quite dark, what the tells me is its old, he been selling off that piece of brisket for days. It has enough fat on to be have been moist, but its dried out and over cooked. Look at the bark on the oppsite side of the fat side and you can see the smoke bloom is no longer there, its usually reddish or pinks in color. This tells me its been reheated more than once. I have seen my ole Coon hound bring home fresher road kill. It's called "High River Angus" because that cow drowned cross the river after a rain.

$20 a lb is stupid money for BBQ that been drug around in some Roach Coach looking to make a score.

The pickled onion with oregano and pickled jalapeño w/carrots is standard table fare in most places and should not be charged for, wonder if they charge for salt and pepper too?

I would run from that place before I get the runs...

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Looking at the pic and the menu board:

Brisket is dry and it looks quite dark, what the tells me is its old, he been selling off that piece of brisket for days. It has enough fat on to be have been moist, but its dried out and over cooked. Look at the bark on the oppsite side of the fat side and you can see the smoke bloom is no longer there, its usually reddish or pinks in color. This tells me its been reheated more than once. I have seen my ole Coon hound bring home fresher road kill. It's called "High River Angus" because that cow drowned cross the river after a rain.

$20 a lb is stupid money for BBQ that been drug around in some Roach Coach looking to make a score.

The pickled onion with oregano and pickled jalapeño w/carrots is standard table fare in most places and should not be charged for, wonder if they charge for salt and pepper too?

I would run from that place before I get the runs...

I was thinking the exact same thing on the brisket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Well, if anyone decides to go and try it out, post a review. I'm always looking for good places to eat in SA.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    It gets good reviews on Yelp but people complain that they tend to run out early so tend to close in the late afternoon or early evening.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Well, if anyone decides to go and try it out, post a review. I'm always looking for good places to eat in SA.

My son went and said it was really good. Said the meat was tender and flavorful. He took the pics. Like every thing else, different people like different things. What one person likes another will not and some people will always find something to complain about.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Thanks for posting this. Moved to SAT in Feb. Working on the east side. Been trying to get into 2M the whole time. Dignowity Meats is a favorite - just a short ride down the street from work.

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Thanks for posting this. Moved to SAT in Feb. Working on the east side. Been trying to get into 2M the whole time. Dignowity Meats is a favorite - just a short ride down the street from work.
    Dignowity Meats burnt end sandwich is great. The downside is that I have to drive from around UTSA to get there and it's very disappointing to drive that distance only for them to be out of what I want.

2M is supposed to be great but I'm not willing to stand in line for 30min to get some.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Dignowity Meats burnt end sandwich is great. The downside is that I have to drive from around UTSA to get there and it's very disappointing to drive that distance only for them to be out of what I want.

2M is supposed to be great but I'm not willing to stand in line for 30min to get some.

Doesn’t help that 2M is only open Thur - Sat

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Stopped in today on the way back from Seguin.

Brisket and pork ribs for me, pulled pork for my bride. Vinegar based sauce on the side. White Onions and pickles are free.

Brisket: 1/2lb mix of lean and moist. The cutter didn’t produce a consistent thickness. Each slice was visible different in thickness. Bark was OK in texture, seasoning was too much salt, not enough flavor. Smoke ring nearly non-existent. Light smokiness could have been there, but overwhelmed by the salt. Sauce (dipped one bite) overwhelmed the beef. Did not finish the 1/2lb. That’s a first in a lifetime for me.

Ribs. Color was ok; same issue with smoke ring. Seasoning more balanced. Butcher left the silver skin on the underside; amateur move for $5/rib. Sauce (dipped) complimented the ribs.

Pulled pork. Didn’t try it.

None of it was pic worthy.

Last edited:

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    What would you guys consider good bbq? I like Rudy's, but I'm not a connoisseur and haven't tried too many places
    My AO.....
    Cole's @ the Shell station in Fairfield
    Wrights in Mexia on Hwy14
    Kirby's in Mexia on Hwy14 (think he closed)

Houston...
    Goode Company on Kirby

World class places around Austin but not my area so I cant name em.

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What would you guys consider good bbq? I like Rudy's, but I'm not a connoisseur and haven't tried too many places

TL; DR: beef tastes like beef and the wood it’s smoked on.

——————

Rudy’s Original or franchise? They are two different flavors.

As a native, beef is bbq; everything else is, well, something else.

For brisket, I’m looking for a pepper seasoning, light on the salt with maybe a hint of garlic. Good bark, lean or moist should each stand in their own, no burnt ends or sauce. The beef tastes like beef with the ability to distinguish the wood it was cooked with. Smoke should not overwhelm.

Kreutz, Black’s, or Louie Mueller are the standard bearers, the original Coopers in Llano and Hard Eight up north fall in the same category. There’s a place on 90 in Hondo that’s pretty damn good, too.

Brisket is followed by sausage. No sausage means your not serious about barbecue. For sausage, I look for a beef/pork hotgut, venison/pork hotgut, or a beef/pork hotlink. Jalepeno cheddar starts to get too far out there for me. Southside in Elgin, Kreutz and Blacks do real good here; Coopers sausage is pretty good, but I don’t think it’s hotgut; they may have changed, though.

There’s a place in Belton that gets Honorable mention: Schoepf’s. They’re all-around very good, but not stellar.

Now, here comes the really subjective part; atmosphere. I’m looking for a place that’s been in the same spot since Christ was a corporal. So, food trucks are out—some call this blasphemy and there’s good food truck bbq out there, but even Franklin realized you’ve got to settle down.

Meet on butcher paper is best. Sauce only for dipping, if that’s your thing, but no mopping, glazing, or any other sauce served on the meat. Sauce should enhance the beef, but not overpower it. While I like the original Salt Lick, it’s not my favorite due to saucing and finishing. They’re pretty damn good, though. If I’m entertaining for work, we go to Drfitwood and that’s a haul from USAA.

My preference for ribs is beef. Should be similar to brisket, with more beef flavor. If pork ribs is all you’ve got, they need to be perfect and compliment the beef, not be the centerpiece. I’ll take sausage over pork ribs any day. If there’s brisket, beef ribs, and hotgut, then I’m in heaven...and a meat coma afterwards.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom