• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmnloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    DFW-Cisco, TX
    If I'm reading the 46.03 law correctly, it is legal to have a handgun in your vehicle as long as no school activities take place in said parking lot? The reason for the question is my daughter works for a K thru 5th grade school. Maybe TXI can straighten me out on this. As I read the law, it is a little confusing to me but I'm no lawyer.

This law makes it unlawful to possess or go with one of those weapons to many locations. For purposes of this section, the penal code defines premises as “a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.”
    The prohibited locations are;
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You are correct. However, the school district could have a policy prohibiting her from doing so. That would expose here to employment disciplinary action.

Public or private school?

bmnloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    DFW-Cisco, TX
    It's a private school TXI. The school is in a decent part of town but some of the parents don't pick up kids till after dark and there are some less that desirable people the move thru the area after dark. I told her to talk to her boss about it just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for your help!!

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    You can keep a gun locked inside your car (can't be in plain view) in a school parking lot and roads adjacent to the school.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Talking to the boss is a BAD idea. BAD.

They can tell you no.

Otherwise, as long as it's in the car in the parking lot (and properly secured) there shouldn't be a problem that I know of.

The FEWER people that know, the better.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Talking to the boss is a BAD idea. BAD.

They can tell you no.

Otherwise, as long as it's in the car in the parking lot (and properly secured) there shouldn't be a problem that I know of.

The FEWER people that know, the better.
    This! Just leave it in your car and don't tell anyone...

bmnloader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2014
    DFW-Cisco, TX
    She hasn't said anything to them yet. I told her the same thing, it could go either way. He's a good pro-2a guy though. I doubt it would be a problem. Thanks for the help gents!

Top Bottom