• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin

I never saw this on the news here in Austin, just the interweb...

http://www.kxan.com/Global/story.asp?S=8777227

KINGSLAND, Texas (KXAN) - A 64-year-old retired homeowner said he was defending his life when he shot at a departing car he thought was burglarizing his neighbor's residence early Wednesday morning in Kingsland.
    "He saw some guys stealing stuff from his neighbor's house so he took his gun," said Jim Wheat, the homeowner's attorney. "He certainly didn't want to fire at anything."
    But the man did end up firing several shots at the vehicle after approaching the three men who he says backed their car under the carport at a home in the 4700 block of River Oaks Drive.
    "I think he had a good idea that they had something they were reaching for down in that car," said Wheat of the shooting incident, which put one man into the hospital.
    According to police, the homeowner continued firing his .45 pistol as the car drove away. A bullet struck 25-year old Casey Rowe in the back of the neck.
    Rowe was sitting in the back seat of the car. Driver Matthew Winger, 28, was arrested Thursday for having an outstanding warrant related to a Marble Falls theft charge.
    Llano County investigators expect to file more charges against him related to this case. Authorities are still looking for the second man in the car, Michael Jeffers, who also goes by the name of Mike Jones. Investigators believe he is in Granite Shoals.
    Rowe is on life support at Brackenridge Hospital in Austin. Family members who are with him say he opened his eyes Friday morning. Rowe has two prior theft convictions and a felony conviction of unauthorized use of a motor vehicle which he served time for back in 2004.
    Wheat said his client told him it was never his intention to shoot someone, but he felt he had no other choice.
    "Nobody really wanted for this guy to end up this way. Not the shooter, not anyone on the street, apparently not the people in the car, but they made a choice to go and steal stuff from a neighbor's house," said Wheat.
    Llano County investigators continue to gather facts in the case. No charges have been filed against the homeowner.

Granted it's an Austin based media source so the liberalness is probably chest-deep. But personally, I think this one could've been left to the police, however he had no other choice so I feel he was justified. A) he confronted the BG's...B) he might've and it was left out, but no mention of calling 911...C) firing on a fleeing vehicle. Luckly no charges have been filed. Sounds a lot like Joe Horn's case. I attend school in that area and as nice and smalltown as it is, this is and more is getting more common. I carry regardless. Never become complacent!
    Gun Zone Deals

brainiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Parker County
    Surprise, surprise; the criminals had prior convictions for doing the same thing. While I agree that it's not usually a good idea to shoot anyone fleeing, still maybe some of these crooks will get the picture that they are in a dangerous profession with possibly fatal consequences.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    He knew they shouldn't be there.....He said one reached down and had good reason to believe it could have been for a gun......in the end, they were committing a crime after-all, had previous convictions and proves he was right in thinking they could have been reaching for a gun.

Good job Mr. Neighbor! :)

As for the BG's, whatever......

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Would you call that citizen rehabilitation? Can't commit theft on life support

I agree, I'da probably done the same thing. Too many people just stand by and watch while another human being is victimized.

Top Bottom