Join TexasGunTalk

Kitchen knives

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by F350-6, Jul 9, 2018.

1. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    Not really anything exciting, but as I'm recently single, I now need a new kitchen knife set since the ex took the one we had.

Looking for advice on what to get that will serve me well. I'm looking for a block set that includes the basics plus some steak knives.

Forged vs. stamped? China vs. German? Stainless, carbon, hardened? I understand the basics, but at what price point do you not realize a return for just a homeowner? Don't mind spending a few hundred if it's worth it. Don't want to spend a couple of thousand.

This is what we had before that the ex bought. Seemed to have worked well enough. Not real excited about the MIC stuff, but the bigger knifes all said forged, and after several years showed no signs of rust or problems.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...technology/1044109257?Keyword=knife block set

I'll spend more if it's worth it, but need some advice as I only used to cook on the grill or smoker.

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

single stack likes this.
  3. yakdung

yakdung Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Texas
  4. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
  5. Byrd666

Byrd666 Well-Known

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Go get a cheap block set from Wallymart for everyday and BS use. Then get Good 8" Butchers knife, bread knife, pairing knife and a GP knife. Victorinox is good stuff as is Wusthof, though the latter is at least triple the cost of the former. GREAT knives they are though. And if mine hadn't been an X-mas present years ago, I'd never be able to say that.

6. baboon

baboon Well-Known

I have use Victoronix knives to cut meat for 36 years I never gave the tang much thought. As far as stamped .vs forged sure forged is better & more costly, but it aint like you'r using the knife 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Hell I'd bet what I use has just enough tang to mold the handle to.

Southpaw likes this.
  7. yakdung

yakdung Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Texas
    Not for my use. Really depends on usage and budget. I wanted to go Wusthof, but could not justify the price vs usage. Like someone else already mentioned, you could really get away with three really good knives, without the fancy pants wooden block. Just get a knife roll and you're all set.
    Good luck and whatever you decide.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003MU9F56/ref=psdc_409670_t3_B0009NMVX2

8. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    For $80 more, I can get steak knives too.

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Clas...p_n_condition-type:6358196011,p_36:1253527011

The fancy wooden block is the cheapest part of the equation, but all this hand wash only, take care of them, sure makes the block seem like an easy way to keep them from banging into other things.

That and I have a lot of open counter space now and could use something to put on them.

9. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Here ya go Bro:

ACE Restaurant Supply https://www.acemart.com/kitchen/cutlery

Quality, low prices, open to the public, I shop there, the knives are of great quality and you can impress your dates when you whip out Pro grade knives to cut with and make that smilin Mona Lisa a dinner that is sure to have her giving you desert!

Southpaw likes this.
  10. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    Wustoff and Henckle are both great knives, as long as you’re getting the West German variety and not the “International” version. (Translation, Chinese). I wouldn’t go for the massive sets, because you won’t ever use most of them. Get a smaller set with a chef’s knife, paring knife, bread knife, and utility knife with a few steak knives in the block.