Knee replacements

jbanzai23

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 18, 2021
Cypress
If you had one (or need one) how bad did you get before you bit the bullet? How much walking and work were you able to do while waiting? I'm only 47, so a bit young for a replacement but I'm about to start a job where I'll be on my feet a good portion of the day. Looking for advice on how to manage for another couple years before surgery is absolutely necessary

prisondoc

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feb 26, 2020
Converse TX
Being height/weight proportionate will help. Exercise on a recumbent bike to strengthen the muscles around the knee. A soft knee brace and of course whatever type of pain relieving (steroids, etc) your physician recommends. This should help delay surgical intervention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
TGT Supporter
Lifetime Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
May 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Tx.
I've been taking joint support supplements for several years.
It has helped quite a bit.

20210719_173449.jpg

BRD@66

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 23, 2014
Liberty Hill
I just had a knee replacement in April that had been pending (in my estimation) for 4.5 years but there's a lot of "do this first" hoops to jump thru before surgery if Medicare's gonna foot the bill. I was on a cane for a year or so before it got done but all that delay was not my idea. Now, it seems that I also need a hip.

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
I started taking glucosamine and MSM as long as 15 years ago, but my knee issues were minor until I developed acute pain in both knees in 2015 (I sometimes wonder if I could have had lyme disease), which became chronic pain, but because I had no insurance I just hobbled along... Though I continued to work around my place and walk 2 miles twice a day, that became increasingly difficult over the next five years.

In September 2020, I turned 65 and got on Medicare with a supplemetal Plan G. I immediately made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in Kerrville. By x-ray, he determined that both knees needed to be replaced, and that any other treatment (i.e. steroids, rehab) was a waste of time.

I wanted to have both knees replaced same time, but he refused. On Oct. 6th, I had the right replaced and began rehab inpatient for 7 days (that was unnecessary, but I didn't know ahead), then 1st followup, and 3 days later I drove myself to my first outpatient rehab. It took this first 10 days for most of the swelling to resolve. Four weeks post-surgery, I had my 2nd follow-up and the surgeon agreed to do my right knee. That was done on Nov. 19th, 6 weeks and 2 days after the left. The right knee went easier than the left had, pain was less, but swelling was worse and I developed several fracture blisters that were more ugly than painful. Once again, the swelling took 10 days to mostly resolve. For both knees, the first 10 days really sucked... I self-rehabbed at home for 7 days and then began outpatient.

Rehab progressed well until near the end, about 8 weeks, when I began having pain in my feet and thighs, which by the time I got an appointment with the surgeon, that pain had met in my lower back. Apparently, as we age and our spines deteriorate, we adapt and often don't have back pain until something exacerbates the problem, like a fall or the conformation changes that result from TKR... X-rays showed herniated and compressed disks, my complaint about evolving urination issues got me an MRI, and that got me into pain management. The first steroid injections reduced pain 50%, the 2nd 2 weeks later helped little more. I'm left with chronic pain that doesn't stop me from getting around or walking, but any kind of real work leaves me hurting. I do think my overall condition is improving. I continue to walk, stationary bike, and do stretching exercises.

Moral of my story is don't jump into TKR before you absolutely have to (I had to), and never ask an old guy about his knee replacements, unless you really want the story...

oldag

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Feb 19, 2015
If you had one (or need one) how bad did you get before you bit the bullet? How much walking and work were you able to do while waiting? I'm only 47, so a bit young for a replacement but I'm about to start a job where I'll be on my feet a good portion of the day. Looking for advice on how to manage for another couple years before surgery is absolutely necessary
47 is very young for a knee replacement. They only last so long. And IIRC can only be repeated once?

What exactly is the issue? Is there surgery short of replacement that will help?

I know quite a number of people who have had knee replacements and all but one are very happy with the results. The key is the surgeon. The one who had problems went to a surgeon who did knee replacements, but also did a number of other type surgeries. The rest went to a surgeon (many of them the same surgeon) who only does knee replacements.

jbanzai23

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 18, 2021
Cypress
47 is very young for a knee replacement. They only last so long. And IIRC can only be repeated once?

What exactly is the issue? Is there surgery short of replacement that will help?

I know quite a number of people who have had knee replacements and all but one are very happy with the results. The key is the surgeon. The one who had problems went to a surgeon who did knee replacements, but also did a number of other type surgeries. The rest went to a surgeon (many of them the same surgeon) who only does knee replacements.
Knee replacements are supposed to last for 20 years, and should only be revised once. Like anyone who needs a replacement, the cartilage in my knee is all but gone, and walking any distance is painful. Once my job starts, I'll have the insurance to find out my options.

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
Some people can get a couple years out of hyaluronic acid (cock's comb) injections.

Top Bottom