• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbanzai23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2021
    Cypress
    If you had one (or need one) how bad did you get before you bit the bullet? How much walking and work were you able to do while waiting? I'm only 47, so a bit young for a replacement but I'm about to start a job where I'll be on my feet a good portion of the day. Looking for advice on how to manage for another couple years before surgery is absolutely necessary
    Military Camp

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    Being height/weight proportionate will help. Exercise on a recumbent bike to strengthen the muscles around the knee. A soft knee brace and of course whatever type of pain relieving (steroids, etc) your physician recommends. This should help delay surgical intervention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I've been taking joint support supplements for several years.
    It has helped quite a bit.

20210719_173449.jpg

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I just had a knee replacement in April that had been pending (in my estimation) for 4.5 years but there's a lot of "do this first" hoops to jump thru before surgery if Medicare's gonna foot the bill. I was on a cane for a year or so before it got done but all that delay was not my idea. Now, it seems that I also need a hip.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I started taking glucosamine and MSM as long as 15 years ago, but my knee issues were minor until I developed acute pain in both knees in 2015 (I sometimes wonder if I could have had lyme disease), which became chronic pain, but because I had no insurance I just hobbled along... Though I continued to work around my place and walk 2 miles twice a day, that became increasingly difficult over the next five years.

In September 2020, I turned 65 and got on Medicare with a supplemetal Plan G. I immediately made an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon in Kerrville. By x-ray, he determined that both knees needed to be replaced, and that any other treatment (i.e. steroids, rehab) was a waste of time.

I wanted to have both knees replaced same time, but he refused. On Oct. 6th, I had the right replaced and began rehab inpatient for 7 days (that was unnecessary, but I didn't know ahead), then 1st followup, and 3 days later I drove myself to my first outpatient rehab. It took this first 10 days for most of the swelling to resolve. Four weeks post-surgery, I had my 2nd follow-up and the surgeon agreed to do my right knee. That was done on Nov. 19th, 6 weeks and 2 days after the left. The right knee went easier than the left had, pain was less, but swelling was worse and I developed several fracture blisters that were more ugly than painful. Once again, the swelling took 10 days to mostly resolve. For both knees, the first 10 days really sucked... I self-rehabbed at home for 7 days and then began outpatient.

Rehab progressed well until near the end, about 8 weeks, when I began having pain in my feet and thighs, which by the time I got an appointment with the surgeon, that pain had met in my lower back. Apparently, as we age and our spines deteriorate, we adapt and often don't have back pain until something exacerbates the problem, like a fall or the conformation changes that result from TKR... X-rays showed herniated and compressed disks, my complaint about evolving urination issues got me an MRI, and that got me into pain management. The first steroid injections reduced pain 50%, the 2nd 2 weeks later helped little more. I'm left with chronic pain that doesn't stop me from getting around or walking, but any kind of real work leaves me hurting. I do think my overall condition is improving. I continue to walk, stationary bike, and do stretching exercises.

Moral of my story is don't jump into TKR before you absolutely have to (I had to), and never ask an old guy about his knee replacements, unless you really want the story...

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you had one (or need one) how bad did you get before you bit the bullet? How much walking and work were you able to do while waiting? I'm only 47, so a bit young for a replacement but I'm about to start a job where I'll be on my feet a good portion of the day. Looking for advice on how to manage for another couple years before surgery is absolutely necessary
    47 is very young for a knee replacement. They only last so long. And IIRC can only be repeated once?

What exactly is the issue? Is there surgery short of replacement that will help?

I know quite a number of people who have had knee replacements and all but one are very happy with the results. The key is the surgeon. The one who had problems went to a surgeon who did knee replacements, but also did a number of other type surgeries. The rest went to a surgeon (many of them the same surgeon) who only does knee replacements.

jbanzai23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2021
    Cypress
    47 is very young for a knee replacement. They only last so long. And IIRC can only be repeated once?

What exactly is the issue? Is there surgery short of replacement that will help?

I know quite a number of people who have had knee replacements and all but one are very happy with the results. The key is the surgeon. The one who had problems went to a surgeon who did knee replacements, but also did a number of other type surgeries. The rest went to a surgeon (many of them the same surgeon) who only does knee replacements.
    Knee replacements are supposed to last for 20 years, and should only be revised once. Like anyone who needs a replacement, the cartilage in my knee is all but gone, and walking any distance is painful. Once my job starts, I'll have the insurance to find out my options.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I haven't had one, but I know several people that have:

1. My brother was a cycler, distance riding, spin class nut, etc. He was told by his ortho somewhere around 50yrs old to knock it off, but he didn't. He was also a telco lineman carrying heavy ladders and using spurs to climb poles. Had two surgeries on each knee to fix cartilage tears/flaps/locking, at some point all his cartilage was gone and he had bone on bone wearing away the bone... replacement time.

2. A female friend had a career as a beautician/stylist. She was on her feet every day for years. Eventually her knees bowed out so badly that corrective action had to be taken. After TKR her legs were once again straight at the knee.

3. An older female friend 80yrs old, has horrible arthritis. Her back is held together by rods and screws, she favors one side, her right knee is bowed out and swollen/mishapen. It is affecting her back and her hip. TKR needs to be done before she needs back and hip surgery as a result of stress due to the knee being off kilter.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Barnum had a saying for that. Goes along with Relief Factor, Previgen and all of the other dietary supplements.

Thank you.

I understand your comment.
    But it made a big difference for me.

ETA: I do take alot of other supplements which I can't actually say help me...

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Good timing for this subject to come up. My wife has been dealing with knee pain for the last two years or so. It is getting progressively worse. She has had two cortisone injections 3 months apart and got only a couple days relief from each. First of this month, the doctor injected silicone in to the knee. That was supposed to work, but didn't even last past the anesthetic wearing off. Now we are scheduled for a consult the first week in August to discuss a knee replacement.

ronr68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Taylor
    Had my right knee done at 69 years old. Should have done it 10 years earlier. Very happy. Standing and walking is so much better. One downside is that 1 1/2 years later, I cannot put that knee on the ground without a cushion. Feels like I’m kneeling on an open bone end. Doctor says it will not get better. Upside is I’m worth a lot more in raw materials than I was before all the titanium and nickel parts.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    ....... She has had two cortisone injections 3 months apart and got only a couple days relief from each. First of this month, the doctor injected silicone in to the knee. That was supposed to work, but didn't even last past the anesthetic wearing off. .....
    IMHO & experience, this is exactly how both of these "treatments" work.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Good timing for this subject to come up. My wife has been dealing with knee pain for the last two years or so. It is getting progressively worse. She has had two cortisone injections 3 months apart and got only a couple days relief from each. First of this month, the doctor injected silicone in to the knee. That was supposed to work, but didn't even last past the anesthetic wearing off. Now we are scheduled for a consult the first week in August to discuss a knee replacement.

AFAIK, knee injections only work if the bone is healthy. Once the lack of cartilage allows the bone to rub, it causes pain as well as arthritis growth and inflammatory pain. TKR has to be a better solution.

I speak as one that suffered with "significant" joint deterioration in the metatarsal due to arthritis. The pain was so bad that I quit walking for exercise and hated going to the store to shop for groceries. (the wife can't go due to dementia). I had total joint replacement of the big toe and they cleaned up all the arth.... pain is gone. I can walk again. Unfortunately, I ruined the joint farther up in the foot by walking funny for years before the joint replacement, now I heed corrective surgery for a huge/painful bunion and the new joint has displaced. Moral of the story: early intervention is good!!!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    AFAIK, knee injections only work if the bone is healthy. Once the lack of cartilage allows the bone to rub, it causes pain as well as arthritis growth and inflammatory pain. TKR has to be a better solution.

I speak as one that suffered with "significant" joint deterioration in the metatarsal due to arthritis. The pain was so bad that I quit walking for exercise and hated going to the store to shop for groceries. (the wife can't go due to dementia). I had total joint replacement of the big toe and they cleaned up all the arth.... pain is gone. I can walk again. Unfortunately, I ruined the joint farther up in the foot by walking funny for years before the joint replacement, now I heed corrective surgery for a huge/painful bunion and the new joint has displaced. Moral of the story: early intervention is good!!!
    Dang!

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Had my right knee done at 69 years old. Should have done it 10 years earlier. Very happy. Standing and walking is so much better. One downside is that 1 1/2 years later, I cannot put that knee on the ground without a cushion. Feels like I’m kneeling on an open bone end. Doctor says it will not get better. Upside is I’m worth a lot more in raw materials than I was before all the titanium and nickel parts.
    It wasn't until some time after I had both TKR that I finally watched a TKR surgery using my type fixture on youtube. That was the first I learned about the "patella button" that is pegged and glued to the knee cap to act as a guide for the knee cap to slide on the joint...

I can't kneel without a cushion either!

Top Bottom