• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    My knife is the one thing i have on me 99% of the time. I want to take some knife fighting classes because of this, but i don't know where they offer these in San Antonio or what to look for in a good class. Any information would be very appreciated.
    Hurley's Gold

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I couldn't think of a skill thats more useless than that... allow me to explain.

I took a knife fighting class while I was stationed up in Alaska as part of an effort by my wing chun sifu to explore more of a MMA route. That class was a huge waste of time. You're a lot better off just learning a real martial art, the only thing you need to really know about knife fighting is to hold the blade sideways so it slips between the ribs easier. Apart from that, it's better to learn techniques to disarm and incapacitate someone... or just carry a gun to a knife fight.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I disagree, find a place that teaches escrima or kali.... inside of a six fot radius I will pull a blade more than likley before I pull a gun.

SWJewellTN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    LaVergne,TN
    I can draw a gun a lot quicker than a knife legal to carry around here, and I sure as heck don't want to be deciding what to draw nor be holding a knife while he's holding a gun.

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    You can take a knife anywhere witch is more than you can say for a handgun. A trained person with a knife is not a person you want to mess with even if you have a gun. As far as a knife being slow I can get mine out in my hand in less than a second. Last but not least why limit yourself to just one defensive tool.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it's useless at all to learn about. Yes, it is probably very unlikely that most of us will ever have to use an edged weapon to defend ourselves. Regardless, it is one more "tool" you can add to the toolbox, so should you ever find yourself in that situation you would hopefully be better prepared. One other excellent thing to learn about is defending against edged weapon attacks. Learning what less vital body parts to sacrifice so that you can keep yourself in the fight and hopefully end it, etc. Pretty much, if someone is trying to use an edged weapon against you, you are going to have to assume that you are going to get cut.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Clockwork, as I postedbefore, I know my comfort zone and abilities, and will gladly pit my knife against your holstered gun inside a 6 foot distance any day.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Clockwork, as I postedbefore, I know my comfort zone and abilities, and will gladly pit my knife against your holstered gun inside a 6 foot distance any day.

I wouldn't need it. I practice wing chun, combat hapkido, American street karate, and koryo gumdo for a reason and I think other people should as well. Unarmed combat is, in my opinion, a lot more useful way to spend time training than specifically training with just knives. Just as deadly if you know what you're doing and a lot less messy. Cuz really, who wants to clean that **** up?

So you are an experienced quick draw expert?

I don't need to be. I can draw a weapon after someone is on the ground with a broken wrist and dislocated shoulder.

Look, guys. I am NOT a big guy. I'm 5'8". Theres a reason I practice martial arts. Cuz there will always be someone bigger than I am and stronger than I am who has a chip on their shoulder and wants to beef. All I'm suggesting in this topic is that you explore various forms of unarmed combat rather than specialize in knife fighting as cool as it sounds in theory. You will always have your arms, your legs, your knees, your elbows, and your head regardless of whether you're carrying a weapon or not. MAKE THEM your weapons.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    And I have not limited myself to armed combat either... the most effective defense is one composed of tiers. Just because you are little does not mean you are singled out anymore than a larger individual. I often found myself facing some one who felt the need to prove how "manly" they were by picking a fight with the big guy in the corner.....

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I wouldn't need it. I practice wing chun, combat hapkido, American street karate, and koryo gumdo for a reason and I think other people should as well. Unarmed combat is, in my opinion, a lot more useful way to spend time training than specifically training with just knives. Just as deadly if you know what you're doing and a lot less messy. Cuz really, who wants to clean that **** up?

I don't need to be. I can draw a weapon after someone is on the ground with a broken wrist and dislocated shoulder.

Look, guys. I am NOT a big guy. I'm 5'8". Theres a reason I practice martial arts. Cuz there will always be someone bigger than I am and stronger than I am who has a chip on their shoulder and wants to beef. All I'm suggesting in this topic is that you explore various forms of unarmed combat rather than specialize in knife fighting as cool as it sounds in theory. You will always have your arms, your legs, your knees, your elbows, and your head regardless of whether you're carrying a weapon or not. MAKE THEM your weapons.

Ask Shirfu John Painter to show you his scars from edged weapons. My father was a hand to hand combat trainer. The first thing i ever learned was the advantage of having something in your hand.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Ask Shirfu John Painter to show you his scars from edged weapons. My father was a hand to hand combat trainer. The first thing i ever learned was the advantage of having something in your hand.

It's certainly an advantage but never a necessity in my mind. I've trained with various weapons enough to know that a lot of objects can substitute for another in the form of a weapon. *shrugs* But like someone mentioned about the tier thing, I think the foundation should be unarmed combat.

espnazi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    El Paso
    I have studied a variety of martial arts including Filipino boxing, wing chun, silat, and others. One of the ones I feel most comfortable with is the knife It is fast and easy to deploy if you use the right system( emerson wave) , and you dont always have to be deadly with it. In fact you can do several cuts to non life threatening areas which are more effective than hitting a major artery.

If you want to get started I recommend you start with Martial Blade Concepts videos. If you don't want to go to far into the system just buy the MBC Crash Course.

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It's certainly an advantage but never a necessity in my mind. I've trained with various weapons enough to know that a lot of objects can substitute for another in the form of a weapon. *shrugs* But like someone mentioned about the tier thing, I think the foundation should be unarmed combat.

"A person trained in the use of a weapon always has an advantage over a trained person without a weapon" - Bruce Lee
    The quote is close enough to get the idea across. My father agreed - and he taught people to kill with a pencil magazine, rock, etc.

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Good points on both sides of the aisle, to be honest. I have trained Arnis for anumber of years, along with aikido, judo, and small circle jiu jitsu. I find that I enjoy Arnis a tad bit more than the others, because there is training for both open hand as well as armed. I know my way around edged weapons and sticks, and yet I always have my open handed skills if I can't readily access a weapon.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Before I got my CHL, I was real serious about learning knife combat. I had been in several situations where I used a blade but never felt proficient. Cutting someone is pretty gross and brutal......it ain't real fun. I was looking for a teacher and a knife fighting Master put the word on me pretty hard so I'll share what he taught me.

When done properly, your offensive moves with a blade will create defensive wounds on the other guy exactly as if you had attacked him. If the case goes to court, you are already many steps behind in a defense and you may do some hard time. The evidence is stacked against you and if he survives, he is going to lie like a dog. The evidence will support what he says.....you attacked him.

I carried many fine, very sharp combat knives for most of my life but his advice really hit home. I carry a small Swiss Army knife and a loaded piece, now. Do what you want to do but the aftermath of a knife fight is not a good place to be.

Now that I'm old and crippled up, the combat cane works for me when I can't carry my piece. My Canemaster cane is about the ugliest butt whupper I've ever seen. When I was a kid in Chicago, I used to wonder why old men used shortened pool sticks as canes. Now I know!

Flash

Top Bottom