• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    i was under the understanding that so long as you filled out the paper work to be considered a collector, you're good on owning and selling, but you can only sell th law enforcement and military.

Sig sauer sent some switch/auto knives over to shiloh, they can only sell to military/law enforcement...

I assume you are referring to knives? I know of no official collector status.
    Military Camp

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    its illegal to sell too? the gunshow at the GRB here in houston has a booth that sells knives with buttons on them that when you push it, a blade pops up outta no where!!! wth im confused!

Texas Penal Code
    Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(5) a switchblade knife;

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    yes i understand that i read it when you first posted it, i was commenting on trying to see if anyone knew how that booth was able to sell switch blades to the public is all.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    the law seems clear ... my Onion opens by pressure on the blade, not the handle ... the law says nothing about an assisted-opening blade ... I'm carrying it, we'll see ... the amazing part of the law to me is that 5 and a half inch blades are allowed; wonder if any other state permits a folder that large to be carried ...

hihosilver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    switchblade laws have to be the dumbest laws in existence. other than kids hurting themselves with them, I see no reason for these to be illegal. :confused:

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    So which is the right code to follow City/Municipal code first or State Law first? I ask because Corpus Christi Municipal code's definition of an illegal knife is completely different. The code in Corpus is as follows.

Sec. 33-73. Dangerous weapons--Carrying prohibited generally.
    It shall be unlawful for any person to carry on or about his person in any public place any one or more of the following: Straight razor, unpackaged safety razor blade, any knife having a blade measuring from the handle of three (3) inches or more in length, any knife that will not shut, any knife that will open and lock open by the press of a button, ice pick, chain six (6) inches or more in length, bowie knife, gun, pistol, revolver, dirk, dagger, spear, nightstick, machete, blackjack, pipe stick, hand sickle, stiletto, knuckles, swordcase made of any metal or any hard substance, or any dangerous weapon.
    (Code 1958, § 39-5)

Infamous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    North Dallas
    Texas Penal Code

46.01. Definitions.
    In this chapter:

(11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:

(A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or

(B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

this is still the stupidest ass part of the legislation and i still do not understand it all the way.

so ANY knife you can flick open using your wrist will get you in trouble? so pretty much 90% of folding knives will land you in jail if you are the mercy of some liberal kiss ass DA?

which DA anyways was the one that said kershaw's assisted folders were illegal? i moved back here from california and had to deal with even bigger bullshit laws. it seems this is so incredibly silly and minute. even the idiots in sacramento have safeguards to prevent prosecution from carrying these absolutely non-switchblade knives.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    So which is the right code to follow City/Municipal code first or State Law first? I ask because Corpus Christi Municipal code's definition of an illegal knife is completely different. The code in Corpus is as follows.
    You have to follow BOTH laws.

State law is less restrictive. When outside of CC, you have state law. When within CC, you also have to follow the CC law too, which is more restrictive than state laws.

There is no first or second to follow, nor do laws trump each other, unless the higher authority law specifically limits the lower authority. For example, Texas law specifically states that municipalities and counties cannot further restrict firearms carry laws past what state law already is.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

this is still the stupidest ass part of the legislation and i still do not understand it all the way.

so ANY knife you can flick open using your wrist will get you in trouble? so pretty much 90% of folding knives will land you in jail if you are the mercy of some liberal kiss ass DA?

which DA anyways was the one that said kershaw's assisted folders were illegal? i moved back here from california and had to deal with even bigger bullshit laws. it seems this is so incredibly silly and minute. even the idiots in sacramento have safeguards to prevent prosecution from carrying these absolutely non-switchblade knives.

When I was a cop I never tried to flick open a folder to see if it would. Don't know of ANY who do now. This law is for things like Balisongs (butterfly knives).

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Why are switchblades illegal?
    Like I said earlier, most likely because of hysteria resulting from the movie West Side Story. Autoknives are actually safer to operate than blades which require two handed opening and closing.

When I was a cop I never tried to flick open a folder to see if it would. Don't know of ANY who do now. This law is for things like Balisongs (butterfly knives).
    An NYC policeman at the Statue of Liberty required about 20 attempts to flick open my son's folder. When it opened on attempt 21, he used that as an excuse to confiscate (steal) the 2.5" SOG folder. :mad: I slept much sounder that evening knowing that the Statue was that much safer.:rolleyes:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    An NYC policeman at the Statue of Liberty required about 20 attempts to flick open my son's folder. When it opened on attempt 21, he used that as an excuse to confiscate (steal) the 2.5" SOG folder. :mad: I slept much sounder that evening knowing that the Statue was that much safer.:rolleyes:

Humm. I don't know NYC or state laws. How was it discovered?

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    Humm. I don't know NYC or state laws. How was it discovered?
    Metal detector. Policeman said the SOG was an illegal gravity knife. I never could get it to open that way. I think it was a case of just one more corrupt New York cop. Told my son he could forfeit the knife or go to jail. I hope that guy feels a sense of pride every time he admires his knife and how he obtained it.

Top Bottom