Knife & Light Recommendations - < $100

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 22, 2017
Richmond
I have a discount at Midway burning a hole in my pocket and am thinking of picking up an EDC light and knife. Not really 100% sure what I want. Would like to keep it under $100 if I can for each.

I'm looking at the following lights:

Surefire G2X
Streamlight ProTac 1L

Knives:

No idea honestly. Something utilitarian for light suburban duty, camping, fishing & last ditch defense if needed. Thinking assisted opening to ride in a pocket.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 15, 2019
Lost
Surefire or Streamlight, since both make great lights. I have several different Streamlights and have owned a couple for many years.

EDC knife? Stay with the name-brands and you should be okay. I'm kind of partial to the CRKT knives. Gerber makes great and reasonably priced knives as well.

Kayt00

TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jan 1, 2021
North DFW
Not sure if you still can but at one point you used to be able to see the benchmade mini bugout for under $100.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
Light: until recently I was not a fan of EDC lights because almost everyone has a phone on them and that’s got a self-contained flashlight, but I recently came across the Streamlight Stylus Pro:

I picked one up and found it just works for me. Slips in a front pocket, is unnoticeable, and very bright with a nice beam pattern and throw. The only activator is a push & hold button on the tail cap. Really did solve a problem I didn’t know I had.

Knife:

For a utility knife, I carry something that has a belt cutter and glass breaker integrated in the folder. Has assisted opening. There’s a small handful out there but this is the one I recommend:

ETA: if you’re looking at a larger light, consider one with a striking bezel…never know if you’ll need to collect DNA.

ThirdCoast2A

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feb 19, 2016
Flashlight for me would be a Streamlight 2L-X usb rechargeable. Takes Streamlights SL-B26 rechargeable battery or CR123A

That leaves about $140-$150 for the knife. You can get the Benchmade Bugout for that price. Great knife but scales could be better.

There will be better prices if you look off Midway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Jul 23, 2011
Little Elm
In my pockets right now. Pretty much 24x7
Stream light polytac 45.00
Kershaw model 1343 stomp. 30.00

16387997780233583866868432594663.jpg

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 22, 2017
Richmond
until recently I was not a fan of EDC lights because almost everyone has a phone on them

That's how I have been until recently when I realized they weren't really bright enough for what I was trying to do. I bought a pack of LED flashlights from Costco a few years back that throw a lot more light that I usually grab when I really need light. The problem with those is they chew through AAA batteries like Amy Schumer visiting a Vegas buffet.

I really like the size of the Stylus and I imagine that would be enough for what I'd ask of it.

Good call on the belt cutter on the knife. I hadn't previously considered that but it is a compelling feature.

Looking at this currently:

Normally $29.99 but going for $13.29 with my discount.

Also looking at this if I opt to not bother with a belt cutter.

Axxe55

MIA-BOLO.
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dec 15, 2019
Lost
That's how I have been until recently when I realized they weren't really bright enough for what I was trying to do. I bought a pack of LED flashlights from Costco a few years back that throw a lot more light that I usually grab when I really need light. The problem with those is they chew through AAA batteries like Amy Schumer visiting a Vegas buffet.

I really like the size of the Stylus and I imagine that would be enough for what I'd ask of it.

Good call on the belt cutter on the knife. I hadn't previously considered that but it is a compelling feature.

Looking at this currently:

Normally $29.99 but going for $13.29 with my discount.

Also looking at this if I opt to not bother with a belt cutter.

I really like the size of the Stylus Pro. It's the size of fat writing pen. I paid $28 for mine, and even though as @toddnjoyce mentioned about cell phones having a light, I like having a separate and dedicated light that doesn't require a lot of room and is handy. I can highly recommend the Stylus Pro as well. Leaves you a lot of room for spending more on an EDC knife IMO.

Top Bottom