Join TexasGunTalk

Knife quality vs price.

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by pbpvusa, Jun 19, 2018.

1. pbpvusa

pbpvusa Member TGT Supporter

Sep 17, 2015
    Plano, Tx
    I have recently began getting some knives, I got the smith and wesson tactical knife, some bowie knife, looking at Kbar. When I went to NRA convention, there were some knife vendors who were selling it at $200 knives. I cannot find a good answer for why some of these knives, especially tactical/carry knives are $100+. The knives I have feels strong and can cut through a few stuff easily. Am i missing on any facts for spending the $100 + or is it the just difference between a $500 glock gun vs $2000 STI gun. If that is the case a glock quality is enough for me.

2. Shady

Shady Well-Known

Aug 24, 2013
    A lot has to do with the metal used in the blade and how it was forged and heat treated.

Some steel holds an edge way better than other grades.

In my book I would stick with the glock so I dont have to cry when I use it as a screwdriver :) or cut open cardboard.

3. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    I keep a cheap knife around in case I need to trim wire or abuse it in someway. The difference is a good knife will last a lifetime.
    Better steel, better materials all around.
    I’m not a snob about it but I pretty much carry Benchmade now for pocket knives.

4. pbpvusa

pbpvusa Member TGT Supporter

Sep 17, 2015
    Plano, Tx
    My main concern was I want a knife with a reliablity of a glock, I am not sure if $40 S&W would do it or do I need to go for the $100 or $200 knife. I am not worried about the box cutting or other stuff, I got plenty of cheap knives. I want to know for self defense situations what is a good reliable knife or qualities of knife I can look for without breaking my bank.

5. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen

Because of the steel. Modern high quality knives use what's called Super Steel. Stuff like CPM-S30v or AST34. They are designer steels manufactured under Damn near laboratory conditions. Expect to pay big bucks for it. Watch some demonstration videos to see why. Steels like D2 are industrial steel. Blades that cut a foot thick slice of stacked paper all day long. 52000, ball bearings.

Then you have cheap knives. They're usually made with 440A. It's the lowest grade of stainless knife steel. It's crap. The cheap knives from the dollar store are 440A. Decent knives will be 440c. The highest grade of 440.

When you pay big bucks on a knife. It means two things. The quality of the workmanship and the type of steel used for the blade. A cheap knife is not even close to what it's suppose to be.

$200 bucks is decent price for a high end knife.

Southpaw likes this.
  6. Charlie

Charlie Illiterate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    The only issue I have with high quality "hard" steel knives is that it's almost impossible to sharpen them without some more expensive "stuff" (sharpeners). For my everyday knife, I'll take a "mid-grade" pocket folder switch blade that I can sharpen easily with a stone. Just my two bits.

grasshopperglock likes this.
  7. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Look into Benchmade. They have some in under $100. Spyderco is the another brand to browse. I feel the budget but this is going to be something you have the rest of your life.

Unless you look on craigslist. I found a benchmade model 522, 440c blade steel at a flea market. $40. 90% condition. Never sharpened. You can find them cheap.

toddnjoyce likes this.
  8. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire But it's a dry heat TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Borden County
    Not sure... but im not paying that kinda money for a EDC knife. Most ive spent is $130 for a hip carry knifes ranch knife.

9. Sam Colt

Sam Colt Active Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Bought a Benchmade 707 Axis as a daily ranch knife for $120 in 2002. Used it practically every day since. Ranch use, not trimming loose threads. Still flicks open and closed effortlessly. I've sharpened it often enough that the blade is incrementally smaller, but it will still cut a bale string or a piece of burlap quick and easy. Cleaned and skinned a few deer with it in a pinch. I know if it ever gives me problems Benchmade will make it right. That right there is worth every penny.

10. grasshopperglock

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    Speaking of that.

Benchmade model 162. You don't have to buy it. Hold it and set it back.