Join TexasGunTalk

Knife quality vs price.

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by pbpvusa, Jun 19, 2018.

1. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I said easier, high carbon steels are easier to sharpen than higher chromium stainless steel and will hold an edge longer.

2. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Check into the Boker Automat Kalishnakov

I've been using these for a few years and it's good quality for around $40-$50.

Blade stays sharp, the push button works perfect and has never opened in my pocket. I have a bunch of knives. But I pretty much only carry the Boker.

Bozz10mm likes this.
  3. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
  4. Moonpie

Moonpie TGT Addict Lifetime Member

These are a good value.

deemus likes this.
  5. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    A lot of guys will know a LOT more about knives than me. That being said, unless you're just a complete snob you don't need to spend even more than 50 dollars these days to get a GOOD knife. The steel is the key... 440 anything is shit and you shouldn't even look at it. There are "super" steels out there that will push the price of the knife, and I'm not joking, above 500 dollars. Don't even waste your time. I carry a KA-BAR Dozier.. it's 20 bucks and made of Aus8 steel. Aus8 is a Japanese steel that kicks the crap out of any of the 440s and CM145 and D2 Steelss... I guarantee to find a knife better than this you'll pay a LOT more money. I've been EDCing this knife for about 2 years. I've only had to oil it once.

Here's the knife at knifecenter... (you can also buy it on amazon) https://www.knifecenter.com/item/KA...-3-inch-Satin-Plain-Blade-Black-Zytel-Handles

Here's a lot more info from a guy that knows a hell of a lot more about steel and knives than I ever hope to.

http://blog.bladeops.com/review-of-aus-8-stainless-steel.html

Here's a video by a pretty respected knife reviewer.

6. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Not what he says in his article:

"Despite the quality of AUS 8 steel, it should not be thought to be a premium grade steel, such as S35VN, ELMAX, and M390 steels. AUS 8 is a high-grade metal that is in the ranks of steels such as 440C and 8Cr13MoV grade steels. Therefore, knives with AUS 8 steel will typically be more in the 30 to 150 dollar range"

Here are 2 of my knives, both are 440C, one was given to me Dec 1966, the other is new as I finally retired my old one after carrying it all these years.

20112009115_med.jpg

7. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Active Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    Right, I disagree with that for the most part. I think Aus8 is much higher quality than any 440 I've handled.. YMMV.

Anecdotally it's not been my experience that 440 is as good as Aus8. He's an expert, I'm not. Go with his opinion certainly.

8. Moonpie

My everyday use/work knife is a red handled Milwaukee folder purchased at Home Depot for <$20. LMAO

9. grasshopperglock

grasshopperglock Can You Dig It?

Jan 5, 2012
    Killeen
    If the knife says China on it. Communist slave labor made it with ripped off blade making technology stolen of the free world. From Japan to the good Ole USA.

I'd abuse it if I had one. Treat it like a screwdriver you hate. I'd own one just to have a knife somebody can borrow. Because you can't borrow the Benchmade.

10. Moonpie

Yep. I consider it an expendable item.
    Gets lost or Bozo swipes it? Meh.

grasshopperglock likes this.