• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Bought a Gerber Patriot from Big Phil on here a couple months ago. Dude, did you whittle asphalt with this thing? The edge is as dull as the spine!

I tried some therapy with my old school Smith's Tri-Hone, but didn't get anywhere. Don't really have time to keep trying. Has anyone had good luck getting a knife professionally sharpened in San Antonio?
    Hurley's Gold

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    e5amasan.jpg

yqeza5em.jpg

ejysuter.jpg

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    There used to be a guy at the Petro truck stop on 10E heading out of town. I don't know if he's still there or not though. He is a professional knife maker and sharpener. I think he charges $6. You can try stopping in there and see if he is still there. He did my knife a few times.

The only downside is, I asked him if it was legal to give my knife a double edge for every day carry, and he told me yea-he would even do it while I wait. Well, I have that baby put away now that I've learned otherwise.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Who would buy a nicked up, scratched and dull knife in the first place?

My father taught me how to sharpen a knife with an oiled whetstone, a steel, and a leather strap.

That was about 50 years ago.

If the blade will not shave the hairs off your forearm, it is dull.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    It was not advertised as nicked up, scratched, or dull. That is not the point; it was still a good deal for the price at which Phil sold it to me and I am happy with the trade.

pcnotpc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    San Antonio, Texas
    It was not advertised as nicked up, scratched, or dull. That is not the point; it was still a good deal for the price at which Phil sold it to me and I am happy with the trade.

Then why bring up the specifics of the deal and accuse the seller of "whittling asphalt" with it, if you are so happy with the trade? Just ask for info on sharpening instead of being a jerk about it.

Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    I highly recommend Work Sharp. Get one and you won't have to worry about finding someone else to do it. They will get a knife shave sharp.

Amazon.com: work sharp tool sharpener: Tools & Home Improvement

Company Website: Work Sharp Tools

If your knife is as dull as you say it is, you may have to start with the coarse belt and work your way down. A typical knife just takes the medium belt followed by the honing belt.

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    I would only let someone sharpen it w stones. I cringe when I see the guys at shows with belts and clamps on blades. Especially when the sparks are flying.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Red et al., before I drop $65, is anyone willing to show me a WorkSharp in action in San Antonio? Lord knows we have a house full of knives that need sharpening, so I'd likely get some utility out of buying one, but just want to see in person first to be sure.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Red et al., before I drop $65, is anyone willing to show me a WorkSharp in action in San Antonio? Lord knows we have a house full of knives that need sharpening, so I'd likely get some utility out of buying one, but just want to see in person first to be sure.

there is always a guy at the SAXET that is selling them....he will show you how it works on your knife. Not sure what his asking price is though

Top Bottom