• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What methods of knife sharpening are you guys using...whetstones, electric, Lansky...? Would appreciate some advice, tips, etc. I have a Lansky kit, but have never been very successful with it.
    Target Sports

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    For what knives?

My kitchen knives use an ancient Arkansas stone (belonged to my great-grandparents.

Pocket knives get the spyderco ceramic sharpener.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I do the rough part on a Smith's diamond stone and finish it up on a regular Arkansas rock. It seems that most of the newer knives have harder steel than they did 40 years ago and take a more agressive stone to get the proper edge.

roughneck266

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2008
    Never could quite get my sharpening skills down. I have a Lansky diamond set, it works really well. I keep it out on the rig, for here at the house I bought this other contraption, it is called a Warthog V Sharp. I saw it at a gun show a couple years ago, and bought it. It works better than anything else I have ever used but they are a little on the expensive side.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Sorry, I should have clarified that I meant hunting and combat knives. Thanks!
    For your hunting knives I would use whatever you need to get the edge back (whatever works best for you) and then strop on a piece of stiff leather or finish with an ultra fine ceramic stone. True combat knives are not and never have been meant to have a razor edge, that being said, use whatever is at hand to maintain the profile and general sharpness of the edge. Keep in mind also the angle of the original grind is going to dictate how "sharp" the knife will feel....

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Being able to put an edge on a knife has always been easy for me but I went to great lengths getting it there. I tried one of the Warthog systems a year or so back and will never use anything else. I have resharpened every blade I own and have buddies coming by to use it too. I keep it on the kitchen counter and the bride runs all her paring and butcher knives through it as needed.

http://www.warthogsharp.com/

Sure wish I would have invented it!

jack7742

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Schertz
    I received a Spyderco Sharpmaker for Christmas. So far it has done a great job on everything, especially the serrated kitchen knives that hadn't been sharpened since they were bought in Germany years ago. It did a really good job on my Benchmade with a 154CM blade.

Top Bottom