DK Firearms

Know anything about refining gold from rocks?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Cause I don't know the first thing about it and my buddy sent me this rock from an Alaskan gold mine that he runs. A coin shop owner offered me 50 bucks, but I know there's at least a tenth of an ounce of gold in it, which is worth about 150. It also has silver. I'd like to refine it somehow and make coins out of what I can isolate. Refineries tell me they will only do tuck loads, not individual rocks. So, it seems I'm SOL, unless anybody here can help me out. It's about the size of an average man's fist. Thanks. God bless.

314e88o.jpg

Pic doesn't do the gold justice.
    Capitol Armory ad

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Don't have advice on how to do it, but it is beautiful as is. I would think(and i didn't look it up), that the melting point of gold is lower than the quartz in it. But that is just a guess

Last edited:

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Don't have advice on how to do it, but it is beautiful as is. I would think(and i didn't look it up), that the melting point of gold is lower than the quartz in it. But that is just a guess

I've read information similar to that, but dang, is the process technical above my ability. I do like it as is, but it makes it hard to sell, in a time when I may need money, or gold and silver goes up. There's really no saying whats in it. I thought about crushing it, and that's about as far as I got before my face started to twitch.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You could pulverize it and dissolve it in aqua regia. Getting it to precipitate back out of the solution is a bit trickier but there's instructions out on the interwebs on how to do it. Never tried it myself so all I know is what I read.

Fun fact about aqua regia... When the Nazis were going around confiscation any gold they could get their hands on, a Hungarian chemist hid his Nobel prize medal in plain sight by dissolving it. It was overlooked as just another jar of chemicals on a shelf... After the war he precipitated the gold out of the acid, sent it to the Nobel Society and they re-cast the medal using the original gold!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    At a gold mine I went to in colorado, they said it take about 2000 pounds of material mined to get an ounce of gold...and thats in a good mine. I would imagine that all of the companies that refine gold are set up to do in in quantity.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Mercury is used in S. America for extracting gold. It has an advantage over aqua regia in that it doesn't react with the rock. Of course, the mercury fumes are toxic.

Aqua regia is a mixture of nitric and hydrochloric acids. It is not something you fool around with casually.

Display the rock or take the $50, would be my advice.

Here's a video on refining gold at home that can walk you through the steps you need: Gold Refining Complete Process for the Home Refiner - YouTube

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    At a gold mine I went to in colorado, they said it take about 2000 pounds of material mined to get an ounce of gold...and thats in a good mine. I would imagine that all of the companies that refine gold are set up to do in in quantity.

Lemme guess this was just outside ft carson? Theres an active mine in the hills just off post and it has tons of gold.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ask him to send you a few more to practice on so you don't have to experiment on the original.

Top Bottom