• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    is obviously impossible but how many and which ones should you know?

I have shot more guns than I can remember but there are still many more that I have never puled the trigger on. Unfortunately the AK47 is one but I have my eye n renting one and have plans to buy.

Movies are never a good interpretation but they do offer some insight as to the possibilities in a SHTF situation. You might find yourself where you really need that firearms but can't figure out the controls. So it raises the questions as to which ones should you know? Personally I can disassemble/reassemble a Beretta 92FS in my sleep but a 1911 I would fidjit with ll of the levers.

What would be a short list of firearms that a Texan must know to pick up and put rounds down range?
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Most semi autos are easy. You know how a water or has valve works. If the handle of the valve is parallel to the pipe water or has flows. Across the pipe and no flow.

Most semis auto handguns are the same. If there is a safety lever, parallel to the barrel will fire, across will not. There are exceptions.

Mag released are generally in one of three places: standard on frame near grip and trigger, under trigger guard like the HK USP, and mounted bottom of grip.

AR/AK are pretty straight forward.

This should be an informative thread..

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I am in the same boat. Pistols, bolt rifles and most shotguns, good to go. AR/AK, no freakin clue

Sent from my iPhone by a coffeeholic

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The way I look at it, it's like cars. If you're a car guy, you don't have to have driven or tinkered with every type of car to be able to understand the basic principles of how to do so. Make sense? Once you learn the basic principles of operation, typical operating components, etc. you can figure this stuff out very easily. Same with guns, once you understand the basics of action design, bolts/slides, mag catches, slide release levers, safeties, etc. you can then pick up any new gun and figure out exactly how to operate it very quickly.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I think intimate knowledge of the platforms is ideal.
    All I have left is AK and I'll have the bases covered.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Are we talking basic operation or complete tear down? I would bet I can operate or figure out 90% of the guns I will ever see within 10 min.

Complete tear down is a different story.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm thinking teardown and maintenence.
    Unless it's a glock. Just pull the trigger, right? lol

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The short list, for me, is whatever firearm you happen to be taking to the range that day. When I was in the Navy, I had an opportunity to do a detailed dis assembly and cleaning of a G.I. 1911 and a Vietnam era M16. So I think I have those covered. Even if it that was more than a few days ago. And with that, I have good working knowledge of how most other semi-auto pistols operate. Now that I'm physically unable to do those kinds of actions, most of my "working" knowledge of the firearms I own and use now, comes from online research, reading and watching whatever videos I can find, and asking as many questions that I possibly can. And hopefully, I'm asking the right people.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I'm thinking teardown and maintenence.
    Unless it's a glock. Just pull the trigger, right? lol

Although it is funny it actually is very true. I own AR's/semi shotgun/pump shotgun/bolt rifles/lever action rifle/two wheel guns/semi handguns and do all of the maintenance and smithing. Still don't have the feeling I am covering enough so I do have a plan as mentioned for an AK.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What we're really talking about is this scenario, you know, where you randomly find a weapon cache with M79's M2's AK's and everything else imaginable:

Terminator2-36.jpg

LOL ;) Now fess up. Who here has a fallout shelter like this? I want to be adopted! LOL

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If you have a basic understanding of each platform then you will be ok.

That being said, I never want to stop learning about different firearms. Some of them are just very difficult to get my hands on...........

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I could hand you three milsurp bolt rifles from my collection, and all would be just that little bit different that taking the safety off might be a challenge. None of those are like the safety on a Remington 700, either. But most people could figure it out (I did).

The way I look at it, it's like cars. If you're a car guy, you don't have to have driven or tinkered with every type of car to be able to understand the basic principles of how to do so. Make sense? Once you learn the basic principles of operation, typical operating components, etc. you can figure this stuff out very easily. Same with guns, once you understand the basics of action design, bolts/slides, mag catches, slide release levers, safeties, etc. you can then pick up any new gun and figure out exactly how to operate it very quickly.

Great analogy. Anybody who's worth a damn behind the wheel of a sedan (which isn't a huge percentage I'll admit) can hop into an Isuzu NPR and drive it without any issues.

Know your chosen platform(s) intimately. Back that up with a broad knowledge.

I've only had one chance to shoot a flintlock, but I figured it out alright. ;) General knowledge applies pretty much across the board.

Last edited:

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I am in the same boat. Pistols, bolt rifles and most shotguns, good to go. AR/AK, no freakin clue

Sent from my iPhone by a coffeeholic

Ridiculously simple if you have someone else show you how to do it first. My best friend showed me how to break down an AK and an AR and I was taking them apart and putting them together within minutes. If you don't know anyone with certain weapons, Youtube is your friend. I use it to learn about all sorts of things, especially firearms.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Ridiculously simple if you have someone else show you how to do it first. My best friend showed me how to break down an AK and an AR and I was taking them apart and putting them together within minutes. If you don't know anyone with certain weapons, Youtube is your friend. I use it to learn about all sorts of things, especially firearms.

Everything I learned about guns was self taught before the Internet by reading manuals.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Great analogy. Anybody who's worth a damn behind the wheel of a sedan (which isn't a huge percentage I'll admit) can hop into an Isuzu NPR and drive it without any issues.
    I agree to a point, but just to a point. There are cars where the key goes in the transmission hump; or a separate button must be found and depressed to start; or you must have an RFID in your pocket; or, in the worst cases, you have to hit all the right switches in the right order to boot the computer.

I have a trapdoor-action pistol. Nobody gets it right without asking. I have a manually-operated toggle-lock pistol. Most people figure out that since it has a big handle on it, you should probably grab that and yank it...but it takes them a while. I have a magazine-fed semi-auto pistol on which pressing the magazine release (std 1911 location), the magazine jumps up out of the top of the pistol; that tends to catch people by surprise.

Learning new guns is endless fun when you get past "This is the way most of them work." Volunteer RSOs for the club I joined recently attend a combined orientation and club-subsidized NRA RSO class. Participants are strongly encouraged to bring their strangest guns so that everyone gets to handle anything they have even the slightest chance of encountering on the range. I'm really looking forward to it.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Everything I learned about guns was self taught before the Internet by reading manuals.

All good and well but the visual aspect helps greatly.

One of my favorites for AK-pattern rifles:

If a Russian 16-year-old can do it, so can anyone on TGT. ;)

Precisely. Guns really are simple tools when closely observed. The hard part is remembering the sequence for takedown and reassembly on certain firearms. Once I see it once or twice though, I can get it in a snap.

Sent while being unproductive

Top Bottom